Birding in Goa - November 2020

Soukous

Thanks for all the info on possible schedules @Soukous I'd have liked to go to Wayanad/ Fringe Ford as well, but if the consensus is to stay longer at Kabini then that's fine with me. At the moment I'm a definite maybe for both weeks with single room throughout. 

@Soukous and I met up at Birdfair at the weekend and established that neither of us have two heads :ph34r: As he mentioned, we both went to a talk on Nagarhole and it did look really good. The melanistic leopard has mated with a regular stripey leopard and the young have turned out stripey too, so no min-Bagheeras yet. Still, you never know what might be there next year! I learned that it's also very good for dhole and eles there. All in all it looked like a good park plus there are restrictions on vehicle numbers - hurrah!

The reason I'm delaying my decision a little is that I'm going to Goa for the first time this November. The first week is with a birding group, both around the coastal region and then inland to Backwoods Camp. I'm staying on for a second week on my own at Wildflower Villas (thank you Martin for the heads up!) so I will be able to report back directly. After that I'll know if I want to go back to Goa, so is that ok with you @Soukous if I wait till 3rd week of November or do you need a committment before then?

@Dave Williams I'll be hanging out at Wildflower and making forays into Candolim between 10th & 17th November. Will you be around that neck of the woods or are you staying in south Goa? It would be great to meet up if it's logistically possible. By the way, I'm flying out on charter (Tui) on 2nd November and I think that's when they actually start the flights.

@Treepol If I come on this trip we may actually get to meet up this time around - hurrah! :D

Dave Williams

@Galago We don't arrive until the 18th of November which is a shame. Yes, staying in Cavelossim, South Goa. 

You should enjoy Goa, the dining possibilities are excellent but just one word of warning ( and it applies to all meat eaters!). Don't order rare steaks. Beef tapeworm is a real possibility.:o

15 minutes ago, Galago said:

regular stripey leopard and the young have turned out stripey too,

I assume you mean spotty. :rolleyes:

19 hours ago, kittykat23uk said:

Although I really can't commit at this stage as the possibility of my joining you very much depends on what I end up doing in February next year, the 13 day version that includes the longer stay at Nagarhole definitely is the one that appeals the most to me. :)

all the best

Jo 

IF you do decide to come along Jo, will it be just you or will the big fella be coming as well?

kittykat23uk

Just me. Having a hard enough time getting him to commit to week long  trip to Iceland with friends. (The country not the frozen food store).

I don't mind sharing a room. 

Edited by kittykat23uk

@Soukous duurr! Spots 'n Stripes - how's that for the title of our future TR :lol: 

@Dave Williams Oh bad timing on both our parts, shame! Thank you for the steak warning. I'm looking forward to trying Goan food and I will probably ignore all the European style stuff as I think there will be oodles of good local dishes to enjoy.

Dave Williams

Bomra's Burmese isn't far from where you are staying, definitely worth trying.

21 minutes ago, Galago said:

@Soukous duurr! Spots 'n Stripes - how's that for the title of our future TR :lol: 

@Dave Williams Oh bad timing on both our parts, shame! Thank you for the steak warning. I'm looking forward to trying Goan food and I will probably ignore all the European style stuff as I think there will be oodles of good local dishes to enjoy.

good decision

Good morning @Soukous.

I would opt for a single room please.

Elaine

9 hours ago, ElaineAust said:

Good morning @Soukous.

I would opt for a single room please.

Elaine

noted

Status update:

I looks as though the preferred itinerary is the 13 night one which begins with 6 nights in Nagarhole and then flies on to Goa for a further 7 nights at Wildflower Villas.

By my reckoning there are currently 4 people sounding as though they are definite: myself, Madame Soukous, @ElaineAust & @Treepol.

A couple of others have expressed interest; @Galago & @xelas come to mind.

I have checked vehicle capacities and we can take a maximum of 7 in total. Savio says he can take 7 and the jeeps at Kabini River Lodge should be full at 7 clients plus driver and naturalist.

That means there are 3 places still up for grabs. 

Edited by Soukous

As of today me and Zvezda are officially applying for 2 of those free places. Hopefully in time :huh:?

@xelas. Sounds great. Looking forward to meeting you and Zvezda

Cheers

Elaine

Likewise, @ElaineAust. I have a secret agenda, though. To be convinced to visit Down Under after 20 years (in 2021) :ph34r:.

@SoukousOooh, places are going fast so, in that case, I'm in!  Does that make me number 7? I hope I'm not too late :rolleyes: 

@Galago hurrah, we will meet up at last. I can’t believe how spectacularly well this trip has worked out - fabulous itinerary and a chance to meet and spend time with other Safaritalkers. Thanks to @Soukous for the opportunity and to @Game Warden for creating and nurturing an online community where like-minded people can meet up in both the real and virtual world. 

Wow! as things stand we are now 7

@Soukous x 2

@Treepol

@ElaineAust

@Galago

@xelas x 2

That is fantastic.

I will now make some preliminary bookings and confirm actual costs based on the rooms we need 2 x double and 3 x single.

I was going to ask if the 3 single ladies would like to share the 4 bedroom villa. But I notice that at 30,000 Rupees per night it would be more expensive than taking 3 separate single room villas. Let me know your preference please.

I will book to 2 couples into a 2 bedroom villa.

Edited by Soukous

Hurrah! Having already done me research on Wildflower Villas in Goa I know there are three single villas: Desert Marigold, Evening Primrose, Lemon Mint. When I go this Nov I'm paying £80 per night for E Prim.  Golden Lupin has 2 en suite bedrooms, so happy to go with that. Not clear what the set up in Morning Glory is as it's not too clear on he website. So I'll  go for single villa or shared with ensuite please. And with villa  names like that, I shall just have to flounce around with a pronounced Essex accent 😂 Hope that helps

@Soukous, I can see already that the two of us will be pampered by all the ladies in the group :wub:. How lucky are we!

🤣 haha! Sticking with me Cockney I’ll just say ‘dream on, sunshine’ 🤗 And looking forward to meeting you both!

4 hours ago, xelas said:

@Soukous, I can see already that the two of us will be pampered by all the ladies in the group :wub:. How lucky are we!

In your dreams @xelas

@Soukous happy to go with a single villa or shared with en suite.

@xelas dream on!

@SoukousEdit: that should read shared 2 bedroom villa with 2 en suites.

Edited by Treepol

Well, the dream was sweet ... but cut short quickly :D

Edited by xelas