roseclaw's BY -1st

roseclaw

Hello,

I've been lurking about as a guest for a while as I'm taking my first safari in October: South Luangwa NP. Decided to go for the best one first! But I decided to join because I wanted to hold myself accountable for finally going through all my bird photos, both terrible and great. I'm based in the USA, so you'll see mostly New World species in this thread.  Yes, I know the year is half over at this point, but I have a lot of bird photos to process.

Here are the first few from San Antonio, TX back in February.

1. Blue-gray gnatcatcher

gnatcatcher.jpg.5fb8e9b46bdaaeedd7b5deaeb608119f.jpg

Technically two birds:  2. peregrine eating a 3. rock pigeon

peregrine.jpg.506a75e4a41ab0a3c9c39c06b2684244.jpg

4. female Red-winged blackbird

redwing.jpg.f20babce71e7a5839769c134f660dd56.jpg

5. A whole bunch of shovelers

shovelers.jpg.89748575dbbbd79e8bf0d39197908241.jpg

Edited by roseclaw

welcome aboard @roseclaw I'm sure you won't regret it.

Peter Connan

Welcome and thanks for joining. We have too few new world competitors.

I would really appreciate if you would tell us when and where the photos were taken? I find these threads very interesting for what they teach us about bird distribution and movement.

6 minutes ago, Peter Connan said:

I would really appreciate if you would tell us when and where the photos were taken?

@Peter ConnanThese were taken in San Antonio, TX, USA back on February 16th.

michael-ibk

Welcome to the Safaritalk and Big Year, @roseclaw, glad to have you here. Great start - that´s the most Shovellers I´ve ever seen in one place!

Peter Connan

Thank you @roseclaw

Welcome to the Thread and wishing for many interesting posts.

Welcome to the big year!

Welcome to Safaritalk BY, I hope you have fun.

Thank you, everyone! I have so many bird pictures to post. I just need to go through them all.

Dave Williams

Never too late to join in, welcome aboard!

Welcome, now I’m not the only rookie anymore ;).

@pedro maia I'm not new to birding or to listing, but I am a rookie on this site!

These are from January 5th in Connecticut (across the street from my apartment).

4. Mallards

mallards.JPG.ee000eee8409bc2b77bf0e56b2210461.JPG

6. Snow Goose and 7. Canada Geese

snowgoose.JPG.244d011d04dd6ea2040a7629b250f5f5.JPG

8. Blurd with a fish (Common Merganser)

merg.JPG.6a5046a4646e836e9234294ec4edf277.JPG

@roseclaw As you can see safaris are simply addictive. The more you take, the more you will want to go on.

I think I just vicariously bird safaried in Connecticut.

And another very warm welcome to the Big Year community! We grow each year, and I am sure you will become hooked on this place also in the future.

9 hours ago, roseclaw said:

@pedro maia I'm not new to birding or to listing, but I am a rookie on this site!

I’m new to birding and to listing but the rookie thing was about this specific thread.

Welcome to this beautiful thread @roseclaw, looking forward to many additions!

Welcome! Thanks for contributing. I’m coming to the end of a two month stay in North Carolina so when I eventually get round to posting I’ll be interested to compare your TX sightings with what I found 

@ImSA84, I have a feeling those birds are going to be very different. TX and NC are a thousand miles apart! But I can't wait to see your photos.

@roseclaw -  Oh I know how far they’re apart. I had the good fortune to study for 9 months at UT at Austin. I didn’t do much active birding but I did go to the hill country and Big Bend both of which were brilliant for birds

Edited by lmSA84

• 4 months later...

Well, I pretty much knew this would happen. Alas. I will try next year, starting in January. I just returned from Zambia, so I have many photos to sort through, birds to still id, and a trip report to write up. But next year I have several trips planned including Yucatan Mexico, Yellowstone National Park, and Taiwan. I should be able to stay on top of it... hopefully.

if your struggling,  there is a bird ID section where you can ask for help here. I am sure others will be happy to oblige