What are your favourite waterhole experiences and photos?

Game Warden

Of course not talking about a couple of pints down your local...

Do share with us your favourite waterhole photos, when and where taken, and tell us a bit about the experience.

Thanks, Matt.

Is that someone spewing after eating my cooking? ;) 

A searingly hot afternoon in October 2014 sat in the shade with friends and a cool-box extravagantly stocked with icy Windhoek lager overlooking Long Pool, Mana.

15984284251_c7ead40892_h.jpg2R4C0615 by Whyone, on Flickr

15798873258_96c1bb97e0_h.jpg2R4C0610 by Whyone, on Flickr

15985602072_831fc401ad_h.jpg2R4C0600 by Whyone, on Flickr

Edited by Whyone?

19 hours ago, Game Warden said:

Is that someone spewing after eating my cooking? ;) 

Not quite, fortunately.

For those who don''t know (or have forgotten), here is the trip report: 

Edited by Peter Connan

@Peter Connan - well remember reading that classic report and it came as a shock to me to realise that was over four years ago now!

Christopher Moran

I immediately thought of Little Makalolo, in Hwange...  We had a wonderful safari in Hwange last year, but the experience we remember most is spending an afternoon in the log-pile hide right in front of camp -

DSC03140-Edit.jpg.d0371c4fd2d16f61739770f30de07e64.jpg

And a couple of fun vids of the kiddies enjoying the water -

Okaukeujo in Etosha, Namibia

gallery_108_1097_386890.jpg

Good idea because ever so often people ask about a place where they can just sit and watch.

The waterholes  of  Isiolo  valley  with  the Lewa  conservancy  Kenya

A  place  where many wonderful things happen  ,including  an elephant  family  having a mud bath

Elephants_waterhole4.jpg.d2f2a85ca279e7461a5a113a93efdec6.jpg

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

The waterholes  of  Isiolo  valley   were created  to spread  out the animals  ,ever visit to the valley and its waterholes is wonderful

@michael-ibk, if you have a moment, throw that swimming cheetah at Hwange up here.

Another Etosha waterhole.  Namutoni.  I do think Etosha could be considered waterhole capital of the world.  For this Namutoni waterhole you have to drive to but Okaukeujo you can just walk out of your cottage and watch.  Same for Halali, a walk from your room to the waterhole,  but the walk is longer at Halali.

For anyone wanting to just sit and watch, Etosha is a great place.  And less expensive than some other places with waterholes.

gallery_108_1097_428894.jpg