Worldwide Migratory Bird Day

Soukous

Apparently, 12 October was World Migratory Bird Day. 

The second one of the year in fact; the first was on 11 May 2019.

As far as I can tell, it passed with barely a mention. Did anyone else see it being highlighted?

WMBD_2019_Flyer.jpg.9f987bcd02340fa7f6501e4854de5a5d.jpg

It popped up on my FB feed but admit did not really bother. After all, there seems to be a "Lion/Giraffe/Cat/Bird/Snail/Worm/Amoeba/Molecule/" day every day now, hard to keep track!

First I'm hearing about it...

• 3 months later...

Blimey. These "next unread Topics" are leading me to some strange places.

World Spider Day? I have enough problems remembering my own Birthday!

Actually here in the USA its a big thing. Teams go out and raise money for environmental causes, many local bird clubs hold a Birdathon by counting species (i.e., like a Big Day, but with donations per bird.) Last year my club, the Brooklyn Bird Club, raised over 12K for Save the Choco (to purchase/preserve over 40 acres of rainforest in the Choco, Ecuador.) So its not exactly the same as those "world penguin day" or "world cheetah day" etc.

However this is the first I've seen about dual dates...its always just been a day in May.

12 hours ago, janzin said:

However this is the first I've seen about dual dates...its always just been a day in May.

Maybe the 2 dates are to allow for birds migrating in either direction. :blink:

3 hours ago, Soukous said:

Maybe the 2 dates are to allow for birds migrating in either direction. :blink:

yes, at least here in the USA those dates correspond to peak spring and fall migration. But I think they only added the fall date in 2019.