My 2017 trip to Ruaha

BRACQUENE

@BRACQUENE

To finish what I was saying about Stretch Ferreira.  It's also what some of his professional colleagues think.

@Bush dog

Thanks for the advice ! Spike Williamson and Kaschula will be top of my list for a future trip

@BRACQUENE After having been on safari 3 years ago in Gonarezhou where I was guided by Ant Kashula I couldn't recommend him more highly. I was there with @Kitsafari who shares my high opinion of him. I've never guided by Spike Williamson but he does enjoy a fine reputation. I would recommend @Doug Macdonald who I have been guided by before and think he's a superb guide. 

3 hours ago, BRACQUENE said:

@optig

I meant Kaschula of course !

@BRACQUENE we were on a 7-day mobile camping with Ant  and Scott in Gonarezhou. Ant is passionate about the park - the baobabs and the elephants. He knows the park inside out, and you'll have experiences with elephants that you've never had before - @optig and I can promise you that. one of my top 3 safari experiences happened during our safari there and you can read it in my TR. we walked a lot as well, and you'll probably be gamed to walk up and down those chilojo hills , following the elephant trails to the top of those cliffs. 

@Kitsafari

In the meantime I replied to Doug Macdonald in his topic about that amazing place that Gonarezhou will be my next safari destination after my 2020 trip ; thanks a lot for the info about the camping with Ant !

The Mwagusi Camp Experience : 5 nights to remember for ever !

Mwagusi 130.JPG

Mwagusi 164_edited.jpg

Mwagusi 228_edited.jpg

Mwagusi 234.jpg

Mwagusi 380.jpg

Mwagusi 414.JPG

Mwagusi 430 (2).jpg

Mwagusi 442.JPG

Mwagusi 492.JPG

Mwagusi 541.JPG

Mwagusi 590 (2).jpg

Mwagusi 623.jpg

Mwagusi 632.jpg

Mwagusi 677.jpg

Mwagusi 685.JPG

Mwagusi 710 (2).JPG

Mwagusi 735_edited.jpg

Mwagusi 865.JPG

Mwagusi 913.jpg

Many happy memories from these photos - and I can see I am not the only one. Everyone name- dropping like champs- great!!!:D That is what it is all about.

I am a bit late to this, and will have to catch up with the rest of your historical reports. A lot of catching up for me to do.

Edited by pault

@pault

Happy to read you and I am certain you will catch up easily so you can join the discussions  ! 

As for the 5 nights with Andrew Molinaro ( Moly ) and Noelle Herzog walking and  driving in the middle of nowhere:D

Kichaka 338.JPG

Kichaka 098_edited.jpg

Kichaka 073.jpg

Kichaka 274.JPG

Kichaka 139_edited.jpg

Kichaka 419.JPG

Kichaka 341.jpg

Kichaka 059.JPG

Kichaka 787.JPG

Kichaka 797.JPG

Kichaka 523.jpg

Kichaka 581.JPG

Kichaka 608.JPG

Kichaka 624.JPG

Kichaka 384 (2).JPG

You mentioned this report in your Kafue report with regard to giraffes.  Ruaha provided you great giraffe variety, including giraffe as a meal.  I also liked that little mouse with the greens and the lion contemplating its tail.  You had Ruaha roan-a-rama!

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you @BRACQUENE for this TR.

Just in the process of booking  Mwagusi fro June 2020.  Lynne gave me a very good rate for a solo traveler.

Cheers

Elaine

@ElaineAust

You will love Mwagusi for the wildlife , the authenticity of the camp and the dinners under the stars in the riverbed ; I see you are also interested in Gonarezhou , a future trip for me , or have you been there already?

Hi @BRACQUENE

I am sure I will love Mwagusi.  And yes, I was in Gona with @Doug Macdonald a few years ago.  Stunning park but truly harsh in the bad times.

Cheers Elaine

@ElaineAust

Thanks a lot for your reaction . In his topic about Gonarezhou @Doug Macdonald replied to me about the mobile camps remaining in the park ; I will be going but in a few years I hope

@BRACQUENE

I stayed at Chilo Gorge Lodge and I think the bush camp was called Hirolo.  Great little camp.  The public picnic spots/toilet in the park are spotless.  Namibia could take some hints from Zim in this regard. Those Gona elephants have some serious attitude.

Now back to the Tanzania planning.  Any tips for an overnight hotel in Dar?

@ElaineAust

We stayed at the Protea Marriott Hotel in Oyster Bay close to the beach ; a good hotel with a nice swimming pool in the garden 3 miles from  to the city centre and "normally "  half an hour from the airport but the traffic in Dar is terrible and we almost missed our plane because in the evening it took us 90 minutes to get there with the taxi !!

But from my experience  Latitude 15 in Lusaka and even the Marriott in Livingstone are  superior to the one in Dar ; of course you have other options depending on your budget but the best hotel by far  seems to be the  exclusive  "Oyster Bay Hotel"

• 2 weeks later...

@Biko

Gegroet and glad you liked my reports ;  I don' t think we had an interaction before  but I saw that you went to Selous  ( I would have liked to go especially for the wild dogs ) and are going in 2020 like we to South Luangwa but in different camps : you will love South Luangwa !

• 3 weeks later...

We have not seen any wild dogs when we where in Selous, they had not been seen for a while.  Too bad. 

@Biko

Thanks a lot for your response ; before they arrived to do the walking with us in Ruaha , our English friends Judy and Ian you can see in some of the fotos , went to  Selous Impala Camp and saw them on a drive but that was in oktober 2017 !

@Biko

I just happen to have two photos of those dogs Judy send me back in 2017  !!

DSC02737-001.JPG

Kopie van DSC02741-001.JPG

@BRACQUENE thank you so much, they are beautiful. The only time I saw them was in a cheetah conservation project in Namibia, where they had a pack of collared wild dogs. 

@Biko

We hope to see them at last in Zambia  South Luangwa next July ( it is like an obsession I admit) but let’s be realistic anyway and take everything like it comes : glad you liked the pictures and I don’t think Judy will mind I posted them