GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

At the cost of getting laughed at, let me have a go:

Jungle babbler?

• 2 weeks later...
offshorebirder

Sitting in JKIA at present and passing the time with Safaritalk. Still basking in the glow of an unbelievable and incredibly lucky birding + mammal Safari...

@@kittykat23uk - is it a Red-capped Lark?

My first thought when I saw this one is it is a cisticola, there not my favourite birds as they're pretty difficult so I wasn't in a rush to go for it. Having had a more thorough look I can say that while the surrounding foliage doesn't rule out India I'm inclined to think that Africa is far more likely and I would tend to think maybe somewhere in the South of the continent based solely on @@kittykat23uk's travel history. I'm still pretty sure it's a cisticola but I'm not absolutely certain which one but I'll take a stab at

Lazy cisticola C. aberrans

Not being good at indentifying cisticolas I may have it completely wrong.

I believe that you are correct @@inyathi although I confess that cisticolas are not my strong suit too so happy to be corrected as well.

Oh drat why did I have to get it right? Now I’ll have to find another good bird from somewhere. :D

Okay here's a new one to have a go at.

gallery_6520_827_61192.jpg

fiscal shrike

inyathi, I'll put it as a house wren Troglodytes aedon

@@fiscal shrike I didn't think that one would be too difficult but I thought it might take a bit longer yes it is a house wren at Iguaçu Falls in Brazil, over to you.

fiscal shrike

Ah, perhaps I should have understood the rules beforehand. I have a few that could use with ID, but that would mean I would also have to know the answer. Patience, please.

fiscal shrike

Well, as I haven't played in some time and then only a few days at that, I have some catching up to do. I have wandered through a few past pages and know I have my work cut out for me. 1. being that I don't use a DSLR so no match for many of you, and 2. I am still new to birding photography and tend to shoot with too much zoom. That being said, I'll use this one and see what transpires. If there is etiquette or rules I have missed, please let me know. It isn't the best quality, but I think there are enough identifiers. I am going for 'stump the pros' rather than photo quality.

post-21208-0-19558700-1453936956_thumb.jpg

fiscal shrike

I see a number of checked out the photo. Is the quality that bad, or is it jsut not familiar? There is one poster here that I suspect might get it, but as working on my time zones rather than Europe time zones, I might just delay a bit beofre providing some direction. Unfortunately, I have no alternative photos.

Give it some time!

Is it a cauca guan?

fiscal shrike

As I had expected, Janzin got it. Andean Guan, reserva Yanacocha / Nono Road area on the west side of the Andes near Quito, Ecuador. February 2014. Canon SX30 bridge camera.

Edited by fiscal shrike

I knew it was a Guan, the question was just which one :) But I have seen Andean Guan several times, and have some photos too (from Ecuador as well!) so I took a guess..the pale beak tip seemed like a good clue.

Uh-oh, now I have to come up with something....it gets harder and harder...I'll be back soon!

fiscal shrike

Janzin, I knew you had been in Ecuador, but I can tell that Africa is very well known, so I don't have a lot of options. Looking forward to your lovely photo option. I like some of the 'feathers only' posts.

I doubt this will take long :rolleyes:

JZ7_5072a.jpg

fiscal shrike

I have limited resource books, but will toss out Pink Breasted Lark....or at least a lark

Sorry @@fiscal shrike ...close but no cigar. A Lark is right, but now we need the right one. Those Larks can be tricky but I'm sure this group will get it quickly.

hmmm is it too hard, or so easy that all the experts are deferring to others? :unsure:

fiscal shrike

I was just about to ask whether it was time for a geographical hint, or to ask whether I could 'call a friend'.....But then I would never have considered that that Cisticola was anything but a Rufous capped lark. Any other angles?

Okay as an educated guess I will say that this is Karoo long-billed lark Certhilauda subcoronata