GAME: name that bird!

Jochen

how about an Asian Fairy Bluebird @Dave Williams

Just now, Dave Williams said:

@Soukous Afraid not! 

I feared not. Not enough blue. 

@Dave Williams

This is undoubtedly a whistling thrush and I’m confident that I have seen this bird in Kerala in the south of India a couple of times and it is the Malabar whistling thrush.

The main give away is the bill, the other Indian species is the blue and it has a bright yellow bill as does the Malayan found further east, the Sri Lankan is much too small. I’m not sure about the other 5 whistling thrushes listed on Wikipedia that I’ve never seen.

Dave Williams

Spot on @inyathi  Also known as the Whistling Schoolboy and here's why! I love the fact that someone is whispering while possibly the other person is trying to record the song! Usually happens to me but with machine gun shutter sounds going off!

OK lets not move too far from the last one and go for another blue bird.

9477288461_49eeeeaa00_o.jpg 

Dave Williams

@inyathi I think perhaps too much of a clue as I immediately reached for the Indian Guide book. Never seen this one as I haven't been that far north in India but it looks a dead ringer for Small Niltava, a male.

@Dave Williams Good guess but no, it’s not a small niltava. 

Although I said let’s not move too far, you need to go just slightly further than that, I wasn’t in India, this isn’t an Indian bird but I did have to check its distribution map online to confirm this. I will try to think of some other clues later if no one else has a guess.

Oh good, I see this game is going again....

Umm, a guess ~ Dull-blue flycatcher

@Geoff You're on the right track but this is not a Sri Lankan bird, you need to go a bit further and hop over the Andaman Sea, other than that I will say that it is a blue flycatcher. 

Tickell's blue flycatcher?

@Soukous Another reasonable guess but no it's not Tickell's, this species is named after an island though one that is part of a country that I have yet to visit. 

offshorebirder

@inyathi - is it a Bornean Blue Flycatcher?    

That seems to be where your clues are pointing, but it doesn't have the dark mask contrasting with pale throat and rosy/buff breast that I would expect from that species.

@offshorebirder No not that one either, although it is named after an island because I presume the type specimen was collected there, it does in fact have quite a substantial mainland distribution, so from Borneo you need to cross over the South China Sea, you could stop off there, but I took this particular photo in Khao Yai NP in Thailand.

Hainan Blue flycatcher

@Geoff Yes Hainan blue flycatcher 

Over to you.

A tricky one @inyathi  but your last clue made it too easy.

I'm hoping this bird won't be too hard...  

5ad3317951621_Whoami_G8A2657.thumb.jpg.4872bc4990a639ea629c6835b9895f70.jpg

michael-ibk

Flesh-Footed Shearwater?

No @lmSA84 It's not a shearwater species. 

kittykat23uk

Black Petrel?