Jochen

GAME: name that bird!

janzin

So an interesting thing happened while I was looking for a bird to post.  I found a few that seemed challenging...the only problem is, I'm not 100% sure what they are myself! :o I thought I knew at the time they were taken, (some when I was a less experienced birder) but now I am not sure. So I don't think I can fairly put them here! I may have to post them in the bird ID query section....but they will have to wait, as they were taken in the same area as this bird.

Anyway, I found this, which is probably easy. At least, the general family is easy :)

DSC_0944.jpg.a3001e1abbbcc9e6bb4cc56580588f02.jpg

kittykat23uk

I think it's a hummingbird. I don't know which one. So I am just going to guess at blue-tailed emerald because it looks like at least some of it is emeraldy.

janzin

@kittykat23uk Nice guess, but nope. Like your reasoning though :)

Edited by janzin

janzin

ok here's a hint. Its a hummingbird :lol:

kittykat23uk

Lol! I think I said that already...

lmSA84

@janzin - I think you and I are developing a monopoly on American birds! I think this photo is hiding it's purple throat - making it a purple-throated carib

janzin

Whew @lmSA84 I am actually glad that you got this (and yes you are right!) because I was just this moment logging in to give another hint! I am heading to Australia on Saturday and I wanted to get this one settled before I go!

So yes, a Purple-throated Carib, on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia.

Now, even if I know the next bird I will not participate since I'll be away. :D

lmSA84

@janzin - glad I could help! Hope you have a great AUS trip.

Next one up..

DSC_9615.jpg.a67f351050e023cd306f0907a27aebf8.jpg

offshorebirder

@lmSA84 - it almost looks like a female Amani Sunbird, except for the yellow coloration.  But I will hazard a guess - is it a subspecies of Amani Sunbird?