Let's see your wild dogs... (pics and video)

Game Warden

Awesome @@penolva! Which bit of Moremi?

Khwai it's come up trumps twice for us now! Wild dog paradise

Fabulous! I didn't see any dogs in Moremi when I was there a few years ago.

Don't LOOK! It'll spoil the surprise! Somkhanda community reserve in KZN SA.

23934786972_8b32746d18_k.jpgPC090950 by Jo Dale, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Have recently returned from a 3 week assignment to Sth Africa & Botswana where I was most fortunate to witness and document this amazing encounter between a lone hyena and a pack of 8 African wild dog which took place in the Sabie Sand GR.

Normally encounters like this are very fleeting, lasting just seconds, with the hyena running off quickly, but this situation was a little different, as the lone Hyena was trapped by the high bank and water with the wild dog flanking it on both sides.
The cackling/laughing sounds of the hyena coupled with the squalling squadron of wild dog was amazing.
At one stage the hyena viciously bit down on the neck of one wild dog and it let out a an almighty howl, the wild dog started to wear it down by continually biting his rear and it became a battle of attrition and "backs to the wall",

eventually the hyena thought it was better taking his chances with the gaping jaws of a hippo and sat it out in the water.

Wild dog have an inherent fear of water if they know crocs are closeby, so they kept their distance and eventually got bored with it all and moved off to find other prey.

Techs:
Nikon D4s Nikkor 400 f/2.8E FL 1/1600s f/5.6 ISO640 to 720
Sabie Sand Game Reserve- South Africa.

I love the waving solid white tails from all the very excited wild dogs :D

D4S_7999-XL.jpg

D4S_7995-XL.jpg

D4S_8001-XL.jpg

D4S_8008-XL.jpg

D4S_8016-XL.jpg

D4S_8014-XL.jpg

D4S_8024-XL.jpg

D4S_8025-XL.jpg

D4S_8027-XL.jpg

This wild dog let out an almighty yelp as the jaws from the hyena clamp down on it's neck!

D4S_8028-XL.jpg

D4S_8030-XL.jpg

D4S_8037-XL.jpg

I'd rather take my chances with a hippo.......thanks!

D4S_8045-XL.jpg

D4S_8053-XL.jpg

D4S_8055-XL.jpg

I love the look from ALL concerned here, even the hippo turns to my camera as if to say "what was that all about??"

D4S_8057-XL.jpg

Cheers
Marc

Edited by africaaddict

~ @@africaaddict

Your vivid series grips my attention.

Splendid action photography!

The full series tells a story.

I'm especially pleased to see these photos as I'm going to Sabi Sands three days later.

Thank you so much for sharing such fine wild dog and hyena photos in Safaritalk!

Tom K.

Great series! I've often seen encounters like this, but I've never seen a hyena actually bite a wild dog.

Thanks for the positive comments Tom & Egilio

This is just one situation where it really pays to have a DSLR that can AF accurately and fire off 11fps. :)

Cheers

Marc

Great series of shots! Was the dog who got bitten okay?

Great series of shots! Was the dog who got bitten okay?

Yes KK, it was quite OK, these guys are tough ;)

• 2 months later...

In contrast to the previous excellent action sequence a more restful image of a small group asleep in the afternnon heat.

Taken in the Sabi Sands, March 2015.

Nikon D7100, 70-300m @ 300mm, ISO 400, f/6.3, 1/160 sec

post-50257-0-84357300-1459098503_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

@@africaaddict That really is a stunning sequence and sorry I hadn't seen it previously. That hippo really has a ringside seat.

As an alternative this is a photo of a group running. It is not a great shot from a technical perspective but I like the effect it has created. Amongst friends it tends to polarise opinion - some really don't like it and some are effusive in their praise.

post-50257-0-35407100-1459107266_thumb.jpg

Nikon D7100, 70-300 mm at 180mm, ISO 4000, f/5, 1/50 sec, hand-held.

The light was very poor (it was about 5.50 am, Sabi Sands, March 2015)

Completely amazing sequence, and good photography too. fantastic.

@@africaaddict..I don't know where i have been, but this caused my heart to race. We had several hyena/dog or lion encounters last fall but there were always more hyena than dogs or lions. All I can say is WOW!

SafariChick

@@africaaddict just now seeing the hyena-wild dog-hippo encounter photos you posted in January - thanks @@Game Warden for bumping up the thread and bringing it to my attention. How long would you say this encounter lasted?

SafariChick

@@pomkiwi I like it - I like the sense of motion - cool shot!

@@africaaddict, a harrowing experience all round, with a slightly comical ending. Honestly you couldn't make up that kind of drama.

Well we didn't have Dogs Vs Hyena this year at Laikipia but we did get Dogs Vs Elephant (It's a shame I couldn't capture the trumpeting)

25301411894_1154496810_c.jpg

Ben mosquito

@@africaaddict , what a fierce battle, congrats.

Moremi 2014,

Back

post-26959-0-63208800-1459456486_thumb.jpg

or front?

post-26959-0-50759600-1459456564_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben mosquito

africaaddict

Appreciate the positive comments everyone, many thanks!

@@africaaddict just now seeing the hyena-wild dog-hippo encounter photos you posted in January - thanks @@Game Warden for bumping up the thread and bringing it to my attention. How long would you say this encounter lasted?

The whole dispute was over in around a minute or two.

• 1 month later...
Ona Basimane

A Wild dog contemplating crossing a narrow stretch of the Linyanti at sunset. This was taken in december while I was leading a photosafari in the area.post-48633-0-53766800-1463999167_thumb.jpg

Peter Connan

Beautiful!

@@africaaddict That action sequence is completely unforgettable. I've seen many photos of hyenas battling wild dogs but never seen such an incredible sequence before.

I'm planning to visit Botswana for the 4th time in 2018,as well as South Luangwa for the 4th and Kafue for the first. I'm going to stay in different camps Labala and Lagoon because I'm tired of Kwando Safaris.I will also stay at Machaba, Duma Tau,,Chitabe Ledibe and Selinda Explorer's Camp. I know that I will see wild dogs because all of these camps are known for having excellent sightings of them.

Some really great shots in this thread. Very enjoyable. I went on way over 100 game drives before I saw Wild Dogs and then only at distance through long grass. Would love to capture a pack closer up.