Show us your hyena pics.

Game Warden

Who will start us off with their hyenas? I know there have already been some great shots posted on Safaritalk, let's get them together here...

Matt

Game Warden

Any more hyenas out there?

Hello everyone,

I am a member since last October but i have been reading ST long before.

I've never participated before, although I would have like to in many occasions, but It is not easy to express myself very well in English.

Do not know if this is the right way to start my participation , I hope so.

Paco

I agree with you Rick , pups not ugly at all.

post-6771-1299414820_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1299414867_thumb.jpg

post-6771-1299414904_thumb.jpg

Game Warden

Paco, ben venido al Safaritalk! (Welcome to Safaritalk...) don't worry about your level of English: we will understand. Your pictures speak for themselves. Do feel free to join in anywhere. Matt

Hyenas eh?

Pups are very cute, I hope I've just proven that.

Ciao,

J.

I personally like hyaenas and will try to find some time to post photos at some time.

BTW, hyaenas have cubs not pups. :D

• 2 months later...
Marius Coetzee

Spotted Hyena fighting over a Hippo Carcass: Kaingo, South Luangwa, Zambia gallery_13326_420_190560.jpg

Edited by Marius Coetzee

Game Warden

Wow, welcome to Safaritalk Marius: what a fantastic image and first post. How long were you at that sighting?

Look forward to seeing more of your portfolio!

Marius Coetzee

Hi Matt, great to be on board! We were at the sighting for more than 3 hours, visiting it over a period of 3 days! Will most certainly post numerous images in future.

Hi everyone, here is on pic that some of you may have seen before... anyway, that's one of my best of about Hyeanas and W Dogs of course...

Chris

post-5810-1306844406_thumb.jpg

Edited by Okavango

Game Warden

Great Chris, where did you see this interaction? (And welcome to Safaritalk! At least, a belated welcome...)

BTW, have a look at my signature to see how to upload images and embedd them opposed to attaching as files.

It looks like we got some safari photographers on board ... ;)

Great stuff!!!

Cheers,

J.

madaboutcheetah

Indeed!!! Welcome!!!

Chris, that's a legendary pic of yours! and I have seen that one-eyed Hyena back then at Lebala - 2005 or so!

Sensational stuff, love it! ;)

Brilliant!

Hi there, thanks, yep, these dogs and Hyenas were not friends hey ! ;)

Early 2006 was the last time I saw this One Eye Hyena, she died soon after the battle !

I will post in the text now, thanks

Game Warden

Do feel free to post more of your images Chris ;)

75195.jpg

the famous One Eyed Hyena from Lebala, late 2005.

Edited by Okavango

Game Warden

That old thing looks like something from a horror film: what was its story?

• 4 weeks later...
africaaddict

***Warning***

Some may find these images a little confronting, but this is nature at it's most rawest and Hyena are never a clinical killer.

Nikon D3s & 70-200f/2.8 VRII

Hyena predation on a heavily pregnant Zebra mare, taken Oct 2010, Masai Mara.

1196275441_95PvJ-XL.jpg

Death is all around her.

Here she looks down the camera in a stoic defiant manner as the cauldron of Hyena close in.

All the time never uttering one sound in the 20 mins it took for her misery to end.

1196192486_fiyN5-XL.jpg

1196210725_LQqHe-XL.jpg

1058661764_4xv9R-XL.jpg

1193312033_beSSL-XL.jpg

Being heavily pregnant and possibly even in the throes of giving birth (we arrived on the scene just as this Hyena clan were nipping at her heels, so this is just an assumption)

she couldn't keep up with her herd and fell behind.

Here this Hyena makes off with the unborn foal.

1114030479_wimiB-XL.jpg

A more upbeat image here with one managing to crack a smile whilst enjoying a leg bone.

Moremi GR, Botswana Sept 2009.

703914394_nvdkN-XL.jpg

Hyena with bloodied head and full belly.

Sth Luangwa NP, Zambia Sept 2007

mfm2240-XL.jpg

Cheers

Marc

***Warning***

Some may find these images a little confronting, but this is nature at it's most rawest and Hyena are never a clinical killer.

Nikon D3s & 70-200f/2.8 VRII

Hyena predation on a heavily pregnant Zebra mare, taken Oct 2010, Masai Mara.

Cheers

Marc

Marc, I remember this stunning series of yours from BPN and/or Naturescapes websites. Am sure it can be quite a challenge to witness a creature's misery like this, but I guess nature has its own ways. I've witnessed a kill made by a lioness which was then stolen by 3 hyenas, as gracefully as the zebra was put to rest by the lioness, the hyenas ripped it to pieces in a blink! Well put....they're not clinical killers.

Thanks again for sharing!

Shreyas

Game Warden

Another incredible set of images. How many safari goers would have the stomach to watch this unfold. Can you imagine in a shared vehicle, if half the passengers wanted to stay and watch and the others not? Who would make the decision? Thanks for posting.

africaaddict

Another incredible set of images. How many safari goers would have the stomach to watch this unfold. Can you imagine in a shared vehicle, if half the passengers wanted to stay and watch and the others not? Who would make the decision? Thanks for posting.

Good point Matt, which is why my wife and I always opt (where possible) for a private vehicle.

Just minutes after we arrived on the scene, another (shared) vehicle pulled up...............it soon departed as it was all too much for one lady in that vehicle.

Cheers

Marc

• 9 months later...

7068642891_543473fde4_o.jpg
It can get cold overnight in the Mara in July/August.
This girl looked bonny with her thick fur and "mane".

Edited by Rainbirder