Show us your best birding pics...

Game Warden

post-49296-0-42606900-1439146588_thumb.jpg

Malachite Kingfisher in Nairobi National Park

Photographed on 28 July, 2015 at 9:26 am in Nairobi National Park with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, 1/2000 sec., f/2.8, handheld Manual exposure.

*********************************************************************************

Emakoko guide @Peter Muigai. kindly stopped to facilitate photographs of light violet-hued Nymphaea caerulea, the waterlilies growing in a small reed pond beside the track.

This Alcedo cristata, Malachite Kingfisher, was perched on reeds above the blooming waterlilies. The only previous occasion when I'd photographed a Malachite Kingfisher had been in Amboseli National Park, where it was purely a fortuitous accident, as I'd failed to observe the petite bird present in the image frame.

The bird's jewel-like plumage stood out from among the flat green reeds, as such lapiz lazuli blues are seldom observed in nature. Unknown to me, a hippo was resting less than 2 meters from the kingfisher!

• 3 weeks later...

post-49296-0-92094700-1441204923_thumb.jpg

Goslings on the March

~ Photographed on 28 July, 2015 at 5:51 pm in Nairobi National Park, Kenya, with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/250 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*******************************************************************************************************

We'd been watching a female Egyptian Goose walking back and forth near the reed-clogged shore of a small pond. Her behavior seemed inexplicable, without any apparent purpose.

After about five minutes she made several loud cries, walking upward through tall grass near us. To our delighted surprise, her goslings were following her, stretched out in a row.

They passed fairly near the parked safari van, determinedly marching to follow their mother. Despite evening's reduced light, we laughed, enjoying their cute parade.

• 3 weeks later...

post-49296-0-42638400-1442835358_thumb.jpg

On the Lodge Roof

Photographed on 28 January, 2015 at 4:12 pm at the Samburu Sopa Lodge in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 400, f/8, 1/1000 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Medium exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

One of the pleasures of staying at the Samburu Sopa is floating in the swimming pool in mid-afternoon, between lunch and the afternoon game drive. Swallows swoop overhead, red dragonflies alight at the pool's edge and billowing clouds pass overhead.

On this occasion I glanced upward at the roofline of the lodge, spotting an Eastern Chanting-Goshawk perched there. I supposed that it would soon depart. I was therefore surprised to see it at the same lofty vantage point after I dressed and came out to the safari van.

Rameron Pigeon

My neighbor's garden.

post-24763-0-16921800-1442888330_thumb.jpg

Rameron Pigeon

My neighbor's garden.

~ @@Peter Connan

Is that Columba arquatrix?

I'd never before heard of a Rameron Pigeon. New terminology is most welcome!

The focus on its eye is TERRIFIC!

Were you sneaking around your neighbor's garden, camera in hand, surprising a dozing pigeon? (Just kidding...)

I like the colors of the bird and of the plant. The contrast between the olive green and the grey is eye-pleasing.

Thank you for posting this.

Tom K.

Thank you @@Tom Kellie, it is indeed Columba Arquatrix. Nowadays it is officially called the African Olive pigeon, and my usage of the old name is a small act of defiance...

The photo was taken from my porch :-)

post-49296-0-07563900-1443024205_thumb.jpg

Male Euplectes capensis

Photographed on 6 February, 2014 at 8:20 am in Masai Mara National Reserve, Kenya with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 100, f/2.8, 1/1000 sec., 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*********************************************************************************************************

~ This male Euplectes capensis, Yellow Bishop, was perched on a twig in Masai Mara National Reserve. Motionless, we brought the vehicle as near to it as possible, yet it remained in place.

I'd seen bishops in field guides but this was the first time to observe one. His vibrant yellow cape stood out in the surrounding area where nothing else was comparably covered. A favorite photography memory.

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-35621200-1445982455_thumb.jpg

Perched Lilac-breasted Roller

Photographed at 6:02 pm on 28 April, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/100 sec., f/4, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

Having become accustomed to spotting lilac-breasted rollers in both Masai Mara National Reserve and Amboseli National Park I was pleased to see this roller perched in shade in Samburu.

Unlike rollers I'd observed and photographed elsewhere, it made no effort to fly away, but instead hunkered down, all the while keeping its eye on us.

post-49296-0-78056300-1445983330_thumb.jpg

Dodson's Bulbul

Photographed at 7:29 am on 29 April, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/100 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

One of the joys of staying in a lodge or a tented camp is spotting smaller organisms living on the margins, including bird species which might not be observed during game drives.

While waiting for the morning game drive to begin I walked around the shrubbery growing near the entrance of the Samburu Sopa Lodge where I photographed this Dodson's Bulbul.

• 5 months later...

post-49296-0-82980200-1460358416_thumb.jpg

Water Thick-knee in Sabi Sands

Photographed on 5 October, 2015, at 9:50 am in Leopard Hills, Sabi Sands, South Africa with an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/5.6L super-telephoto lens

ISO 200, 1/1250 sec., f/5.6, handheld Manual mode exposure

******************************************************************************************************************************

~ In bird field guides for both East Africa and South Africa I'd seen images of thick-knees. However, in all safaris I'd never been aware of any thick-knees, although possibly I overlooked them.

We were driving along the south bank of the Sand River on our way back to the lodge after the final game drive when I spotted a water thick-knee. The ranger kindly paused so that this image might be made.

• 10 months later...

I'm not necessarily a birder, but I do have some favourites!:

Lilac breasted roller - Ngorongoro Crater, Tanzania

nfupJAZh.jpg

Black noddy - Lady Elliot Island, Australia

CQvmYEIh.jpg

Corellas - Kangaroo Island, Australia

SpgbVwvh.jpg

Edited by monalisa

• 2 months later...
Ben mosquito

A favorite, not the best one .

post-26959-0-26991600-1493655155_thumb.jpg

A levitating lilac breasted roller, Tsawo west 2015.

Edited by Ben mosquito

• 4 months later...
Dave Williams

I was really chuffed to get this image at the time, a Hawfinch and the first I had ever seen.

22778741576_9f79f9bbba_b.jpgHawfinch   Hungary by Dave Williams, on Flickr

Edited by Dave Williams

Beautiful shot!

• 4 years later...
Peter Connan

This Open-billed Stork landed a bit too close to the Pied Wagtail's nest.

Kwikkie-1.jpg

Kwikkie-2.jpg.93830a6b2dea978f54b83154f30bce55.jpg

Edited by Peter Connan

• 1 year later...

Very accommodating Crimson-breasted Shrike on the Boteti River, Botswana, July 2022

Canon EOS 750D, Sigma zoom at 400. f7.1, 1/1000, ISO 800

20220718065549_IMG_3360.JPG.e66dda9794d3892dce2e2548540b2c37.JPG