Broken Tail: A Tiger's Last Journey

Shreyas

A lovely film based on the Ranthambhore Tiger Sanctuary, being aired on PBS. I believe Aditya Singh et al. were involved in the making of this documentary. Matt and I were talking on Google+ and looks like it is available for viewing in the US only.

Nevertheless, here is the link: http://video.pbs.org/video/1799568633/

P.S. Congratulations, Aditya! It's an amazing documentary and worthy of all the awards it's won at Jackson Hole!

Yes I was talking with Dicky earlier: well done on the awards and it will be great if we can work up an interview and behind the scenes look at the film's production. Dicky, did you take any photos during the filming that you can share with us?

This film was recently broadcast by the BBC as part of the Natural World series I recorded it but haven’t actually watched it yet. Unfortunately it’s no longer available on the iPlayer they only have a clip, but it's probably available on DVD in the UK from somewhere.

I watched the entire documentary on the link you posted, Shreyas. Thanks so much for that. Amazing story and brilliant photography and narration. Very sad as well - the bits where they showed the wholesale tiger slaughter committed in the first half of the 20th century was horrific. I realize I'm beating the same drum everywhere, but please watch the clips in this documentary and tell me what part of it was ever defensible in any era. Not by the Indian rajas and not the Queen of England either.

I do have some pictures like the ones below. Most of the Production still shots were handed over to the crew. The few that I have are for memories. A lot of people in Ranthambhore worked pretty hard on this project on a show string project. Incidentally Broken Tail was Machali's (T16) - one of the tiger's profiled on Safari Talk - cub from the first litter. His twin brother Slant Ear disappeared (probably killed by a tiger) in early 2002.

i-xdxhsCb-L.jpg

i-DvFwpt5-L.jpg

i-fBHp6SK-L.jpg

i-Vc2CGJs-L.jpg

A great set of images Dicky - is that Dharmendra sat behind the fire in picture #3? The fantastic work you all do in Ranthambhore is inspiring. I envisage a Safaritalk get together there. Lizzy, my wife is already talking about it...

Yes that is Dharmendra. We were shooting this in a village close by and Dharmendra explaining some things to the villagers just before the shot. You are most welcome to Ranthambhore. Its a pretty cool place.