Pics that will never be published in photo books

Jochen

A lot of great pics...and a lot of amusing ones too!
Though, I think it's a damn shame a lot of the bloodier ones would be balked at in a photo book. The comments made about the wild dog kill in Life Story apply here I think. Death and graphic violence are not only a garunteed and essential part of nature, and covering it up is just ridiculous and leaving out half the story, but often fadcinating and tense moments of animal behaviour rarely seen.
I also swear on many safaris I've been on, a lot of people want to see a kill!

@@sundowner Can you repost your pictures which are no longer showing up? Thanks, Matt.

Kingfisher Safaris

Getting the best bits

post-17608-0-21586800-1421673104_thumb.jpg

It seems the contents of a Kudu's stomach is tasty! or maybe the stomach itself!

post-17608-0-23568800-1421673209_thumb.jpg

No comment on this one

post-17608-0-17870500-1421673561_thumb.jpg

Nice Thread. It made me go through some very old pictures and relive several safaris.

Young Baboon at Susuwe, Namibia

post-5254-0-38900600-1421684642_thumb.jpg

Hyena getting in the way of a Grumpy Lion at Kwando Lagoon.

post-5254-0-50011900-1421684765_thumb.jpg

Young Female getting lucky with a dead Buffalo. The good thing is that the camera can not record the stench!

post-5254-0-87407800-1421684926_thumb.jpg

The two Cheetah brothers took down a Kudu at Kwando Lebala

post-5254-0-67563900-1421685072_thumb.jpg

The same two Cheetah brothers scentmarking (and receiving it) at Kwando Lebala

post-5254-0-54146800-1421685355_thumb.jpg

@@mvecht - Wow! Impressive, graphic, dramatic pictures, looks like a packed trip to Kwando! Can we expect a full trip report? Especially of the Joubert-esque lion vs hyaena?

Hi Big Dog and Game Warden

I am off to Japan/Korea on a business trip later this morning and will probably not have time to post for the next week or so.

Big Dog: I have been to Kwando four times from 2004 - 2007. A combination of excellent guiding and good luck gave excellent sightings, including nine kills.

There should be a trip report from 2007 and maybe 2006 in this forum but I will have to look for them.

As mentioned in a previous post I have been away from Safaritalk for a few years but now I am definitely back.

More pics will be added to various posts when I am back from Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

Kwara September 2007

A Lioness farting can be a bit overwhelming

post-5254-0-80607800-1422902519_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Ah! memories of them URIs ..........

What's the story on the zebra, was it killed by a poacher? We helped a park ranger in Serengeti look for poacher's traps and found a zebra in a snare. It was a very sad moment as it probably suffered during the ordeal.

While coming back from ol doinyo lengai volcano ...I found this dead zebra ...with vultures putting their entire neck into the hole...dont know who made the hole ..may be hungry vulture s ot may be bullet of the poachers.

• 2 years later...
Peter Connan

Cape Shoveller ejecting ballast at Marievale.

Taken 0.2 seconds earlier than the one @Game Warden wanted me to post here...

ShovellerODP-4.jpg.91325fa207c4e036bb036821f966be15.jpg

Peter Connan

These were taken at the Dullstroom Bird of Prey Rehabilitation Centre. An excellent venue well worth a visit, they host a "flying show" with lots of interesting information delivered in a fun and inter-active way twice daily most days of the week, using un-rehabilitatable birds.

This particular incident is a "competition" between bird and handler. If the Secretary bird makes it back to the cage before the handler, it gets a medium-sized chicken. If it doesn't, it only gets a small portion. However, if it kicks the handler on the way past, it gets two.

It seems to undertsand perfectly!

SecretaryODP-7.jpg

SecretaryODP-8.jpg

My picture of an elephant probably won't make it into any photobooks because of the safari vehicle in the background.

rgJhhnkh.jpg

• 4 months later...

Taken at Augrabies falls

P9290339 Naughty Baboons

• 2 months later...
CarolAnnDenverCO

At first glance, I was quite happy with this photo. Upon better review, it only made the selection for a slide show of our first safari in Tanzania after cropping.

IMG_0092.JPG

CarolAnnDenverCO

We spent enough time with this giraffe in Tarangire that the unfortunately-timed shot shown in the first frame could be left out in favor of the second.

IMG_0280_1.jpg

IMG_0281_1.jpg