Of Heresy, Old Friends and Near Misses

twaffle

It's no consolation at all as we want you refreshed and raring to write. ;)

A honey badger in a box trap would be a frightening thing. I have seen it once, but four honey badgers badgering...

On my phone, this page begins with GW's philosophical but sparse sentence about the nature of sleep! It had me backpedalling double quick to see why he was pondering these weighty matters :)

Ah, honey badgers...

I just love your landscapes, treescapes, cloudscapes and all your wide angle work, Twaffle. The acacias look magical and I would almost not care if you didn't post another animal photo in this report!

Thanks Sangeeta, I really enjoy seeing what the country looks like in places I want to visit but I found it really hard to find much from this area. So I did concentrate a bit on showing off the landscapes. I'd love to see more scenery in trip reports, as I find it helps get a feel for a place. Appreciate the fact that you noticed. :)

Honey badgers! What a marvel.

I too am a sucker for an open flap. Love a bush camp.

Ready for more when the authoress is ready.

Reason to believe …

In my imagination, the wilderness of a bygone era still survives. The sweeping plains are covered with animals and you can gaze at the horizon with your binoculars for as long as you want without ever seeing the dust columns swirling around from some slow moving safari truck. No matter which direction you choose to drive, no road leads you onwards and every path you decide to follow has been made by wild feet. In my imagination.

I wonder even now whether the wilderness I found in Southern Serengeti really existed and if it did, for how long it will survive.

John and I were each standing with a camera, both Canon 7Ds, directing our lenses at trees. Trees, you might exclaim, but for me it was a joy to find a kindred spirit. We walked on the high ground, green grass short and lush and sweeping down through a light woodland towards distant valleys. On each drive I, and Baraka and Michael, had looked for trees which would be suitable for a fine art project I have been working on. I knew exactly how my tree should look, but we had no luck. On hearing my ‘tree’ whinging, John perked up and said that he knew exactly where to find my trees. I didn’t really believe him. I ended up not believing him on a number of matters but on each and every occasion he was right and I was wrong. So here we were, early one morning, lovely golden light illuminating the most beautiful Acacia tortilis (for the sake of sanity, I will still call them acacias) that I have seen. We walked in different directions to find the best perspective to suit our own needs. Perhaps, in time, I will be able to share the final image but not yet.

gallery_5545_572_66794.jpg

gallery_5545_572_147003.jpg

gallery_5545_572_182489.jpg

gallery_5545_572_100135.jpg

Our tree discussion became more interesting and John drove further on towards the fly camping spot to show me some Myrrh trees. In amongst the commiphora, the myrrh sat all twisted and gnarled and gnome like. I had thought the earlier woodlands were settings for some goblins and witches, but nothing like these funny trees. John showed me the sap from the commiphora which can be used to stick wounds together when out in the bush. I learnt about the ‘burning bush’ capabilities of the myrrh tree.

gallery_5545_572_6751.jpg

tree reflection in pool

Totally distracted by the trees, the pretty stream, the polished boulders and the sheer atmosphere of the place, I totally missed seeing the Forest Spitting Cobra (large) which John, Baraka and Michael saw sunning itself on one of the rocks. Gaily I remarked how sad I was to miss it, whereupon all three set off looking to see if they could find it for me.

“How kind, but please don’t disturb it on my account” I tried to say convincingly.

gallery_5545_572_6369.jpg

Needless to say, it had hidden itself safely out of reach and I didn’t need to prove my courage any longer.

We watched a tiny Malachite Kingfisher fishing

gallery_5545_572_48694.jpg

kingfisher reflection

gallery_5545_572_234053.jpg

and then I made my customary way point on my gps before we headed back to camp.

gallery_5545_572_207976.jpg

John remarking that it was an excellent idea to have a gps as one day I would need it when my guide became hopelessly lost. We both laughed! I said that it would never happen ........

to be continued on the afternoon drive

Wow, lovely trees but oh my goodness that malachite kingfisher, what a shot!

Oh yes, what Kavey said... Twaffle can you add the Malachite shot here. Thanks.

I love that third tree shot.

Fantastic pictures, Twaffle!

A small tip: if you love acacias go and visit Shaba next time...probably the best specimen I have ever seen, in a most dramatic setting too.

Thanks for the tip. One trip to Tanzania and I'm ditching Polar Bears for Lewa + Mara + Kogatende … can't help myself. Not sure how I can fit Shaba in, we'll see.

Thanks Matt and Kavey. Everyone's kind words are encouraging me to plod on.

madaboutcheetah

Fantastic pictures, Twaffle!

A small tip: if you love acacias go and visit Shaba next time...probably the best specimen I have ever seen, in a most dramatic setting too.

Thanks for the tip. One trip to Tanzania and I'm ditching Polar Bears for Lewa + Mara + Kogatende … can't help myself. Not sure how I can fit Shaba in, we'll see.

Thanks Matt and Kavey. Everyone's kind words are encouraging me to plod on.

Love your description of Alex's camp and the area of location, where i hope to go one day! Enjoying your report very much!!! Thank You!!!

Thanks Hari, I think you would enjoy it very much indeed.

Continued …

John retired with malaria. Mr Twaffle had arranged to spend the afternoon taking staff and camp photos. Everyone else was busy, busy, but I had a plan. Oh yes, I was going to stake out a particular honey badger den. It was a couple of days since seeing them, but that didn’t matter because I had my gps co-ords and it wasn’t far away. I could get the photos of the trip, alone with Baraka and Michael and the vastness of the savannah … and 2 feisty honey badgers. Happy as pigs in mud, we waved goodbye and headed off.

We drove for about an hour, not stopping for anything at all. Each time Michael slowed down as Baraka pointed out some unusual animal or bird, I urged them forward. Time wasn’t on our side and I was focussed, really focussed. We struck out across the Kimuma Plains and then struck out completely.

“Look at your gps and see if we are close now” Michael suggested.

Ok, I thought. I had absolutely no idea how to work out how to follow my gps to a previously marked waypoint and didn’t want to tell them. Unbelievable. So I fiddled and pressed buttons and swore softly until at last I had a meaningful map on my screen. I had a compass pointing North, I had the waypoint on the map, surely it was just a matter of driving in that direction. So that’s what we did, around and left in an arc and then right in another arc, as I waved my gps about trying to make sense of it all. I can see my gps tracks on Google Earth now, as I’m writing this … and we weren’t within a stone’s throw of the den. It seems funny now, in retrospect, but at the time we were frustrated and distracted and it was all my fault because I hadn’t given any thought to whether I knew how to use the device apart from loading tracks and waypoints onto GE.

In the end, I could feel Michael’s frustration that he couldn’t give me what I wanted. I could sense Baraka’s disappointment that the den couldn’t be found, but it wasn’t their doing so I suggested that we photograph the waves of wildebeest as they headed off into the distance. It was then that we noticed the storm moving in but not enough to cause us much concern at that stage.

gallery_5545_572_211325.jpg

The wildebeest streamed past us and it was gloomy as they cantered steadily across the plains. The occasional gazelle looked bewilderingly small under the swelling clouds.

gallery_5545_572_192689.jpg

Michael tried to maneuver the Landcruiser in front of the lead group so that I could get the column head on, but it was like trying to extract egg shells from a broken egg, every time we moved closer, they moved further away more quickly. Tails again.

gallery_5545_572_239622.jpg

gallery_5545_572_136865.jpg

This comedy of errors continued a little longer until we really started to pay attention to the weather which was circling us. You could see the rain clouds heading down in waves, but a long way away and we could see that we had a clear run back to camp which is where we decided we should head. Funny how the honey badger den turned out to be so far from camp. It is no good relying on memory for these matters.

gallery_5545_572_130141.jpg

The Land Cruiser increased speed on the relatively smooth ground of the Kimuma Plains as we headed in the general direction of Kakesio. It wasn’t long before the rain started to fall and we were collectively very glad that we had closed the roof some time earlier. In no time at all heavy sheets of water blanketed our view and the earth beneath our tyres started to soften and we began to lose traction. Now I began to understand why Alex’s decision to run lighter vehicles down here made so much sense. In one of the heavy, extended safari vehicles we would have stopped on the edge of the plains and remained there until help arrived.

At this point I need to remind everyone that there are NO roads out here. We weren’t following a track or road or anything remotely helpful, just relying on Michael’s extensive knowledge of the area which was serving us well.

The sweeping windscreen wipers worked furiously but without much effect. Our head lights struggled to pierce the gloom and we slithered and slid from side to side. Occasionally we would find a rough track from where a safari vehicle had driven earlier (possibly ours), but it soon became impossible to pick out anything outside the vehicle.

I had an extraordinary feeling of exhilaration. We were out in the wild weather, it was amazingly beautiful in a dark and forbidding way and all around me I felt the wilderness as it once was. Uncontrolled, forbidding, dangerous but magnetic in its magnificence. I laughed and laughed with the joy of it all and Baraka turned in amazement. Then he laughed as well, probably with relief as I certainly didn’t look like I was about to have hysterics.

Then reality started to hit as we came across a fast running river where only hours earlier there had been some sort of drivable culvert. And we couldn’t cross to the other side, the other side where the camp was. We had to keep moving, we couldn’t stop because if we did we would sink deep into the black cotton soils. So back and forth we went, looking for some way across the raging water. Eventually, Michael drove back the way we had come for a short distance and we drove across some rougher, stonier ground until we could make our way back towards Kakesio. Then we found a road, but a road which was lit by our headlights and all the ground around it was cloaked in darkness. Michael and Baraka had no way of knowing which road and which direction was towards Kakesio.

“Perhaps you could look at your gps and see whether it can tell us which way to go”, Michael suggested. Had we learned nothing at the honey badger den? This time it was getting a little serious, a little late, a little cold and oh so very dark.

Performing under great pressure I found my Serian camp waypoint (fortunately the Serengeti one, not the old one for the Mara camp which was still on my gps) and I selected the map option and there we were. We must turn left here, I said. That way is Kakesio. But then we saw a small light in the far distance. Baraka and Michael said that it had to be Kakesio as there would be no other camp or settlement here. We turned right and my gps started to spin in anxiety. No, no it said loudly. You are going the wrong way!! It was hard to hear each other over the rain and we could see nothing at all.

“Michael, Michael”, the radio suddenly blurted out. Camp had been calling us for some time but only now were we able to hear them.

“Michael, Michael, where are you”

(buggered if we know, I muttered to myself) but of course Baraka answered in a much more civilised manner but with similar effect.

Then we stopped, and almost for good as the 4x4 struggled in the mud. Michael asked me again to check the gps (what faith he had) and I again reiterated that we were going in the wrong direction. I showed him the little screen. The light had disappeared and I wondered what had made it.

Rocking back and forth Michael managed to extricate us from the sucking mud and we slowly turned around and headed in the opposite direction. Silence descended on us as we desperately hoped that the lights of Kakesio would soon appear. My gps was clutched in my hands and I peered at it hopefully. It was taking us in the right direction and the distance was closing in.

Out of the black we saw the beginnings of lights appearing and we all started to smile. Michael’s hands relaxed their grip and the mood lightened. The rangers in Kakesio flagged us down, concerned about a vehicle out in this weather, but when they saw that it was a rather muddy Serian vehicle they grinned and waved us on. All about us in the village, people were trying to keep mud and water out of their houses, but many had time to wave as we passed.

Now we had found the road home, the tension could dissipate, but I found myself unable to let go of my gps which finally had proved itself useful after causing us so much trouble in the beginning.

Bedraggled, damp and dishevelled we finally rolled into camp, many hours late. But we had returned and hadn’t needed to sleep out on the Kimuma Plains.

I wanted to find John and let him know that he had jinxed us with the “you’ll be glad of the gps one day when your guide gets lost” comment of that morning. But he had retired with the fever.

I wouldn’t have missed that adventure for anything. I may not have found the honey badgers but I learnt how to find my way home with my gps, realising that its value was far more significant than just decorating Google Earth.

This is one extraordinarily wild and isolated wilderness.

Thank you again, Twaffle :)

The pic of the kingfisher is awesome, but for some reason I'm more drawn to the one giraffe having to duck to get into shade. Perhaps there's a subtle humour about it.

Loving your writing and photography!

Continued …

Michael tried to maneuver the Landcruiser in front of the lead group so that I could get the column head on, but it was like trying to extract egg shells from a broken egg, every time we moved closer, they moved further away more quickly.

There's a trick for that, extract with a piece of eggshell! That really works, they'll stick together.

Not sure how you could apply that to wildebeest though :D

Excellent story about the GPS - and the moral at the end is the cherry on top.

Your first and last wildebeest pics (last with storm) are seriously good.

You are being read - properly too.

Great instalment, I love stormy weather and gpses.

On the volunteer farm one of the first lessons is how to use a gps, especially how to navigate to a waypoint.

This really is a most engaging and entertaining narrative; thoroughly captivating and beautifully illustrated, like a good book that can't be put down.

However it should come with a health warning -I now have laptop burns to my knees!

Can I ask what make/model of GPS you used? Do they come with pre-loaded maps? (I know nothing about GPS!).

Rainbirder, if you are enjoying this, did you read Twaffle's account of growing up in East Africa in the 1960s, here?

Rainbirder, if you are enjoying this, did you read Twaffle's account of growing up in East Africa in the 1960s, here?

Now bookmarked!

At this rate I'll need skin grafting.

This really is a most engaging and entertaining narrative; thoroughly captivating and beautifully illustrated, like a good book that can't be put down.

However it should come with a health warning -I now have laptop burns to my knees!

Can I ask what make/model of GPS you used? Do they come with pre-loaded maps? (I know nothing about GPS!).

I have a Garmin Dakota which is a neat little unit with a touch screen. Easy to use but with lots of features I'm only starting to learn about.

I believe that you can get little lap protectors for lap top use!! :lol:

Seriously though, I do appreciate everyone's comments and am glad that the people who don't like it or think it all a bit OTT, have chosen not to respond! :unsure:

Great instalment, I love stormy weather and gpses.

On the volunteer farm one of the first lessons is how to use a gps, especially how to navigate to a waypoint.

I think I learnt the hard way how to navigate to a waypoint, but will be taking some extra lessons before my next trip. I only ever bought it to mark my tracks on Google Earth, mainly for Nyama's Safarimaps. Well, it paid for itself this last trip.

I have a Garmin Dakota which is a neat little unit with a touch screen. Easy to use but with lots of features I'm only starting to learn about.

I have a Garmin Oregon which is the predecessor of the Dakota and similar in form. It has profiles allowing it to be used for different purposes, so set it to recreational for beating about the bush and turn on recording tracks; set it to automotive for use as a satnav (you need routable maps for that such as Tracks4Africa's more recent maps). I also have street maps of cities for walking around. I used mine last a couple of weeks ago to walk to the railway station in York from the suburbs.

Like you, I also use it for marking where I took photos.

Gentlemen may prefer blonds, but tourists prefer cats

or so it would seem.

So to the relief of some, I will cease with the words and let the photos do the 'cat talking'. We saw a lot of cats, so I will post some over a few days starting with a selection of lions. This collection were taken from our sighting of 29 individual lions (no cubs) on one day. More lions later, and cheetahs of course. No leopards and our one serval was in Ngorongoro.

Not fully processed, but I hope it gives some idea of the general lay of the land.

gallery_5545_572_245524.jpg

gallery_5545_572_3536.jpg

gallery_5545_572_122252.jpg

gallery_5545_572_79854.jpg

gallery_5545_572_137212.jpg

gallery_5545_572_167614.jpg

gallery_5545_572_236046.jpg

gallery_5545_572_199647.jpg

gallery_5545_572_40282.jpg

gallery_5545_572_142690.jpg

gallery_5545_572_146401.jpg

gallery_5545_572_239004.jpg