Feast of the crocodiles

africaaddict

africaaddict

140+ Crocs feasting on a dead hippo.

Luangwa river fly over from a microlight heading north from Tafika camp.

Crocodiles appeared to be the only animals that were "concerned" with the micro light flying overhead.........perhaps a throwback to the days when Pterodactyls ruled the skies!

D700 70-200 VRII 1/400s f/5.6 ISO1250@ 82MM Sth Luangwa NP- Zambia Nov 2011

Cheers

Marc

D715792-XL.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Nice!!! Did you have the TC on too?

africaaddict

Nice!!! Did you have the TC on too?

Thanks Hari

No tc used.

Very cool shot. Fascinating action, even if that science thing about the observer is true here (thanks for mentioning that as otherwise I'd be scratching my head trying to work out what some of the crocs were doing - the hippos seem to be wondering about that too :) ). I have to say it .... that is a lot of crocodiles!

Wow!!!

A very impressive image from a radically different perspective!

What a sight.

Super shot and sighting!

Great photo Marc. Do you have any others from your microlite flight?

I notice that you used a 70-200 f2.8 for the flight. Would that be the lens that you recommend? If I ever get the chance to go on this flight, I was wondering what the best lens to choose would be.... I have a 70-200 f2.8 as well, but would probably have opted for the versetility (and smaller size) of my 18-250 - not really expecting to get any photos as good as yours mind.

Great shot, great action!

• 1 year later...

Topping this one in case you hadn't already seen it...

I hadn't seen this amazing image, so thank you!

• 1 year later...

Have you seen this image? Can you imagine taking a photo like it, looking down from a microlight? Have you flown with John Coppinger over Tafika?

Have you flown with John Coppinger over Tafika?

From all my safaris, it was the only day I've ever felt sick in Africa and I turned John's offer down. The thought of throwing up mid flight did not thrill me.

I've never heard anyone say they have not enjoyed that flight.

I did the flight with John in 2007 and it was just amazing, if a little scary, but he didn't seem to mind me hanging on to him for dear life!

We were booked to do the flight when we stayed in September. But unfortunately the plane crashed a couple of weeks before we arrived, and there are no more flights. We were very disappointed but thank goodness no one WS very seriously injured. John looked rather sad when we brought it up. :(

• 1 month later...

We were booked to do the flight when we stayed in September. But unfortunately the plane crashed a couple of weeks before we arrived, and there are no more flights. We were very disappointed but thank goodness no one WS very seriously injured. John looked rather sad when we brought it up. :(

I would just like to say in all fairness to John, that it was not himself at the controls on that particular day.