Show us your Giraffe Photos

africapurohit

~ @@inyathi

I'm much obliged to you for the comprehensive explanation and the images.

This provides invaluable context.

Thank you very much.

Tom K.

We saw some large journey of giraffe in Meru last week - one had over 30 individuals. It was really cool to sit there in the complete solitude and watch them slowly browse there way past our Landcruiser .

post-5263-0-30382700-1454592058_thumb.jpg

post-5263-0-57236600-1454592063_thumb.jpg

~ @@PT123

My heartiest appreciation for your Meru giraffe images!

I love Meru, thus particularly enjoy your fine images.

I'm so pleased that you visited there!

Tom K.

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-04704100-1457998071_thumb.jpg

Sabi Sands Giraffe

Taken on 4 October, 2015 at 10:10 am in Sabi Sands, South Africa, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/5.6L super-telephoto lens

ISO 400, f/5.6, 1/2000 sec., 400mm handheld Manual exposure while on a game drive from Leopard Hills

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ When the morning game drive was over we were elated, having seen the Big Five during a single game drive. One guest casually remarked that we'd seen everything but giraffe. Suddenly, there they were!

The giraffe were browsing on foliage not far from the track. Their steady motion in the morning light resulted in a tranquil scene. Giraffe are among the most “you're in Africa” of all species.

• 4 months later...
theplainswanderer

Perhaps my favourite series of images of all those I took whilst on safari earlier this year in Sth Africa and Namibia

I love seeing and photographing Giraffes - underrated I reckon but perhaps the most graceful animal in Africa!

These photographed at Erindi, Namibia

Canon EOS 7D Mark 2

100-400 Mark 2

1.4 converter

David Taylor

post-47774-0-23238400-1470551148_thumb.jpg

post-47774-0-72963700-1470551391_thumb.jpg

post-47774-0-80826700-1470551398_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-87026500-1475393959_thumb.jpg

Reticulated Giraffe, Great and Small

Taken on 3 October, 2014 at 11:04 am in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens

ISO 125, f/3.2, 1/2000 sec., 400mm handheld Manual shooting mode in a safari van guided by @@Anthony Gitau of Bigmac Africa Safaris.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ As was our custom, after exploring elsewhere in Samburu, towards mid-morning we drove down to the Ewaso Nyiro River to see what activity might be occurring there.

A family group of Reticulated Giraffe had been drinking water from the moderately full flowing river. They passed by us on their way back to the shaded shelter of the trees.

#1: Masai Giraffe. Masai mara

#2: Masai Giraffe, Masai mara

#3 Reticulated Giraffe, Sweetwaters water hole.

#4: Rothchilds Giraffe, Murchison' fall National park, Uganda.

#5: Zambian Sub species.

post-50530-0-02830900-1475512022_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-77824200-1475512105_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-95458600-1475512111_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-41467400-1475512557_thumb.jpg

post-50530-0-82470100-1475512864_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
Morkel Erasmus

Giraffes have now been bumped to "Vulnerable" on the IUCN Red List.

This is from Etosha last month...

post-14617-0-75746200-1482879608_thumb.jpg

In an earlier post, I stated “Then we only need some shots of some Nubian giraffes (G. c. camelopardalis) to have photos of the full set", little did I know, that we in fact already have some photos of Nubian giraffes lurking in this thread. Last year scientific research conducted by the Giraffe Conservation Foundation, confirmed that there are in fact four distinct species of giraffe and not just one as had always been thought. This news was reported in the following thread.

Fascinating news about what is for all of us one of our favorite animals

The four species of giraffe are as follows:

The northern giraffe (Giraffa camelopardalis) has three subspecies, the West African (G. c. peralta) once found throughout much of the Western Sahel, west of Lake Chad it is now confined to the south west of Niger. The Kordofan giraffe (G. c. antiquorum) now primarily found in Chad particularly Zakouma NP, originally inhabited much of the Central African region, between Lake Chad and the west bank of the Nile, a small number survive in northern C.A.R. and a handful in Garamba NP and adjoining hunting areas in DRC, it’s not known how many if any at all, survive in South Sudan. The Nubian giraffe (G. c. camelopardalis) was found in recent historical times from eastern Sudan and Eritrea, south through western Ethiopia and eastern South Sudan east of the Nile and further south into northern Uganda and western Kenya. These giraffes in Uganda and western Kenya are commonly referred to as Rothschild’s giraffes, but it is now known that they are in fact Nubian giraffes. In taxonomy the earliest name always takes precedence, so this essentially means, that the name Rothschild’s giraffe is now defunct, but inevitably it will take some time, for the new giraffe taxonomy to be accepted by everyone, so in Kenya and Uganda these giraffes will continue to be called Rothschild’s giraffe for some time.

31310218233_50ea66bc21_o.jpg 

Kordofan giraffes in Zakouma NP in Chad

The reticulated giraffe (Giraffa reticulata) has no subspecies, it occurs in southern Ethiopia down to north-eastern Kenya and formerly much of Somalia. The largest numbers of these giraffes are found in Kenya, it is not known how many survive in Ethiopia or if any at all survive in Somalia.

31310216243_d40fcc0751_b.jpg

Reticulated giraffe in Meru NP in Kenya (Scanned slide)

The Masai giraffe (Giraffa tippelskirchi) has no subspecies, it is distributed from southern Kenya down into central and western Tanzania, with an isolated outlying population in the Luangwa Valley in Zambia, these Zambian giraffes are known as Thornicroft’s giraffe, but genetics has confirmed that they are in fact Masai. An extralimital introduced population of Masai giraffes, exists in Akagera NP in eastern Rwanda. For reasons unknown giraffes were absent from this park and the rest of the country, there’s no historical evidence that giraffes ever occurred in Rwanda, even though there is plenty of good giraffe habitat in Akagera and Masai giraffes used to occur naturally, just the other side of the Kagera River in north-western Tanzania. The six giraffes two males and four females donated by Kenya were introduced in 1986, I presume in order to make the park even more attractive to tourists. On a visit to Akagera at the time, we were taken to see the giraffes.

32061585796_0d40d7d720_b.jpg

Masai giraffes Akagera NP in Rwanda (scanned slide)

The four giraffes (one is barely visible on the right) seen in this photo, are being fed on cut acacia branches, while they settle into their new home.

The giraffes thrived in the park and increased considerably in numbers, however, the largest population of them was found in the de-gazetted northern section of the park and it’s likely that the savanna habitat in this area, was much better for giraffes. A good many animals were poached in Akagera, during Rwanda’s civil war and afterwards, when the north of the park was invaded by returning refugees, this section of the park which extended along the Tanzanian border up to the border with Uganda, was de-gazetted in 1997. Until recently, giraffes would still wander out of the remaining park into the degraded northern savannas, where they risked being poached. A boundary fence has now been constructed preventing the giraffes and other animals from leaving the park; I’m not sure how many if any giraffes are left outside the park now. Although it seems that the giraffes are still doing okay as @@michael-ibk's Rwanda report shows, unfortunately it’s quite likely that the population inside the park may decline somewhat, if the habitat they’ve been left with isn’t as good, I hope not too much.

The southern giraffe (Giraffa giraffa) has two subspecies, the South African giraffe (G. g. giraffa) once found throughout most of south Africa, north through eastern and northern Botswana to south western Zambia and much of southern Zimbabwe, in Mozambique it originally ranged as far north as the Save River and has recently been reintroduced into Zinave NP and previously in Limpopo NP. Giraffes are entirely absent from the rest of Mozambique. There are several introduced extralimital populations in Malawi, it is not known for certain if giraffes occurred in Malawi in historical times. Several other extralimital populations have been established regrettably in Kissama/Quicama NP in Angola, where these giraffes were introduced in 2002 and in the Bandia Reserve in Senegal. The Angolan giraffe (G. g. angolensis), this giraffe once occurred throughout much of southern Angola, its main stronghold was Mupa NP, however, this park has been all but destroyed, since the end of the civil war and this subspecies is now thought to be extinct in the country, that gave it its name, it is though still found throughout much of Namibia and in central Botswana. Whilst Mupa NP has been effectively destroyed and likely cannot be restored there are possibly other parks in Angola like Bicuar or Iona into which Angolan giraffes, could perhaps be reintroduced. To avoid hybridisation with South African giraffes they cannot now be introduced into Quicama NP.

31373839560_dea71df629_o.jpg 

South African giraffe in Hwange NP Zimbabwe

With all of the various contributions to this thread, we now have all of the giraffe species and subspecies covered. :)

Edited by inyathi

@@inyathi I'm delighted that the Western (Kordofan) giraffe is increasing in numbers. I'm happy that giraffes have been placed on the list of vulnerable species because it sickens me to see hunters of both sexes posing with their

corpses.

• 5 weeks later...

After the big guy leaves, we get to drink...

31880073093_c28534983b_h.jpg

Etosha (maybe Duineveld?), November 2015

• 3 months later...

THE MASAI GIRAFFE IN RUAHA N.P.

The following images were taken in Ruaha N.P. Tanzania in mid July 2016.

IMAGE 1: An individual giraffe takes on water (centre of the image), at The Great Ruaha River. Purpose of the image was to record just how 'dry ' this magnificent river runs or rather doesn't run at certain times of the year. Caused mainly by irrigation issues further up river. Location 1/2 mile from Msembe airstrip.

IMAGE 2: A journey/ tower/ herd (not sure of the correct collective noun) of 8 giraffes cross the dry river bed of The Great Ruaha River, significantly further east than image 1. Left excessive foreground in the image to demonstrate just how dry it was.

IMAGE 3 & 4: Individuals from above.

IMAGE 5: Individual taken on west approach road to Ruaha Escarpment.

IMAGE 6: Head study taken near Kwihala Camp. (slight crop).

IMAGE 7: Individual taken near Mwagusi Sand River, 1 mile east of Kwihala Camp.

AN OBSERVATION: A significant number of the giraffes observed during our stay, and we saw lots, had their tails either missing or partly missing, the large lion prides in the park are apparently very partial to giraffe! (pers.comm. Tonny, guide at Kwihala).

post-50942-0-13750800-1494176492_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-89495500-1494176584_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-18695400-1494178410_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-14072200-1494178455_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-72180600-1494178515_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-88118100-1494178559_thumb.jpg

post-50942-0-09826300-1494178615_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

593e1e1dc87be_ReticulatedGiraffePair.thumb.JPG.3397be51cacb90636637ff8d5525291e.JPG

Reticulated Giraffe Pair

Photographed at 5:34 pm on 28 April, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 200, 1/1250 sec., f/4, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

Nothing prepared me for my first encounter with Reticulated Giraffe in Samburu. I'd read that they lived there, but had no sense of what they might be like aside from small photos.

We were tracking a leopard on the move when several giraffe appeared. For a spell I was far more captivated by the lovely coat colors and patterns than I was on the elusive leopard.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Early morning silhouette on the Chobe River, looking towards Chobe NP

giraffes.jpg

~ I mean absolutely no disrespect to the lovely giraffe image by @Soukous above, however, something about the pose of their silhouettes reminded me of oil derricks in Los Angeles County oilfields.

It's the angle and neck inclination, and the sky coloring, too.

What a lovely image.

Tom K.

Happy Wolrd Giraffe Day! Taken at Busch Gardens on their mock safari. :) Lovely Reticulated Giraffe. They had many with freckles in the middle of their spots.

DSCN1749.JPG

DSCN1727.JPG

~ @Lyss

Is it World Giraffe Day?

Thanks for letting us know.

I have never heard of Busch Gardens, but am happy that you saw Reticulated Giraffe there.

Tom K.

It's a zoological theme park in Tampa, FL. It's quite a beautiful place, but they are quite lacking in American animals wolves, bears etc. but that's just my take on it. They combine shows, rides and education. It is part of the Sea World Parks family.

4 hours ago, Lyss said:

It's a zoological theme park in Tampa, FL. It's quite a beautiful place, but they are quite lacking in American animals wolves, bears etc. but that's just my take on it. They combine shows, rides and education. It is part of the Sea World Parks family.

~ @Lyss

Thank you for the additional information.

I've never been in lower Florida, having only once briefly driven through the northwestern Panhandle.

It sounds like a nice place to take children.

Tom K.

The_Norwegian

Some giraffes from Namibia :-) 

_ASW7076II.jpg

_ASW7839.jpg

_ASW8410.jpg

_ASW8476.jpg

_ASW8837.jpg

6 minutes ago, The_Norwegian said:

Some giraffes from Namibia :-) 

_ASW7076II.jpg

~ @The_Norwegian

That's easily the most out-of-the-ordinary giraffe image that I've ever seen.

Everything about the photo is striking.

If one didn't see the ossicones in the reflection, what might it be?

Great photography!

Tom K.

The_Norwegian

Thanks Tom Kellie! Glad you liked it, it is a picture i had in my head even before the trip, but didn`t know if it would materialize when i got there, so glad things worked out! Sometimes one get lucky! 

• 1 month later...

Drinking

DSC_7917-Edit.jpg.44a9bd6c5c94aa7f58a9917718a2837d.jpg

Madikwe, July 2017. Nikon D7200, 80-400mm lens @130mm, f/8, 1/200 sec, ISO 200. Post -processing Lightroom and Silver EfexPro 

More drinking

DSC_7295.jpg.d8939e75c1818c52f9ee2cc838fe79f7.jpg

As above but lens at 105mm, exposure 1/320 sec, f/4.8