Show Us Your Lemurs!

kittykat23uk

There doesn't seem to be a thread for lemurs so let's start one..

Baby Julien

8175729091_908bbfee8c_c.jpg

PA276598 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Lemur fact of the day. I didn't go there, but My guide told me that in Berenty, where you can see ring-tails and the "dancing" sifakas, they introduced red-fronted brown lemurs, which are not naturally found there. These lemurs are less picky than the sifakas and so eat the natural fruit before it ripens enough for the sifakas to feed on it. So now the park has to supplement the diet of the sifakas!

Dancing Verreaux Sifakas - Toddler-sized lemurs that jump from tree to tree, but skip when trees are not available...amazing animals. Dave had alot of fun putting this sequence of 16 pics together...

68220678.jpg

Cool lemur fact. It seemed like there were many more sifakas than Red-fronted Brown Lemurs at Berenty in 2005. Sounds like the numbers might have shifted since then.

Red-fronted Brown Lemur youngster:

68133687.jpg

A very long trek up a steep forested slope and we were finally rewarded with this sighting of Milne Edward's Sifaka and baby:

PA255841 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

This one is Hubbard's Sportive Lemur, a nocturnal species that lives in Zombitse National Park. Here he is resting just outside his sleep hole.

8175900051_327b9f9c07_c.jpg

PA297355 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Edited by kittykat23uk

Love your lemur pics...and so many teeny tiny baby ones!. You traveled at the perfect time! More, please...

Thank you! I timed it to coincide with the breeding season.

As I mentioned, I didn't go to Berenty, but I still saw Verreaux's Sifakas, in two reserves. The best sighting was at Zombitse as well. But they were more chillaxed than your sporty subjects...

8175909281_458b77541a_c.jpg

PA297267 by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Today's post is of a Furry-eared Dwarf Lemur. Taken on a night walk, this little guy was some distance away. I bought a powerful external flash, the Olympus FL50R. It came in handy for this shot:

8175048914_e088d38a6e_c.jpg

PA214427 Furry-eared Dwarf Lemur by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

Here's one for today. Coquerel's Sifaka at the Croc Farm in Tana.

8237790750_1680778631_c.jpg

PB047879 adj crop by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

And looks like I might have deleted the ME Sifaka I posted earlier:

8175567610_a06382414e_c.jpg

PA255841 Milne-Edward's Sifaka by kittykat23uk, on Flickr

Vlad the Impala

Here's a couple of shots of Indris in Analamazoatra (Andisibe) Reserve...

gallery_14505_715_1935900.jpg

gallery_14505_715_2659496.jpg

Vlad the Impala

A diademed sifaka in Mantadia. This was taken before a group of them was moved to Analamazoatra, as per kittykat23uk's trip report. I remember it being a long trek to find them, but we were eventually rewarded with good views including this mother with infant.

gallery_14505_715_272278.jpg

Seeing this range of wonderfully diverse and interesting lemurs really has the affect of making me sad - knowing that with the continued exploitation of Madagascar's environment and deforestation, many of these will be extinct without drastic Govt action. KK, are you of the same impression having just returned?

Yes and sadly with the current government in disarray I can only see it getting worse. They need more projects like Anja, and a less short term view of their resources.

Vlad the Impala

I would agree. It's been 7 years since I went, and I was left with a similar impression - that the unique habitat was disappearing fast. Even in the short time since then it seems things have deteriorated further. Reading KK's trip report has highlighted a few examples of this to me - the diademed sifakas needing to be relocated from Mantadia to Analamazoatra due to the increased cobalt mining in the former 'protected' reserve being a case in point.

Vlad the Impala

A few shots of Red-fronted Brown Lemurs, taken in the Kirindy Forest...

gallery_14505_715_291495.jpg

gallery_14505_715_2665329.jpg

Vlad the Impala

A few shots of some ring-tails - taken in the Nahampoana Reserve, Madagascar.

gallery_14505_715_2367562.jpg

gallery_14505_715_344070.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

(I think the sound of Indri calling is one of the most special sounds in the natural world)