Mana Pools - a different sort of trip report!

Whyone?

owenshaffer

I loved your photos. I've been to Mana Pools before and I'm going again this year. I'll be spending 6 days there and then go on a 4 day canoe safari.

I can't wait to see the wild dogs my favorite animals.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for the trip report.Mana Pools is a great place to visit

• 3 months later...

Super nice job on the TR Whyone?. Lots of practical information for self drive planning :) . Thanks for sharing this one.

• 3 months later...

Just followed your link from your Oct 2013 trip report and once again found it a great and entertaining report, thank you. Would love to do the same but don't think I'm up to it as a first trip to the bush so will be sticking to a guided visit for the first time at least. Please keep posting these type of reports as the info is so interesting and as said entertaining.

@@Big Andy there are 2 or 3 absolutely outstanding guides based in Mana, drop me a line when you get to the planning stage and I'll dig out their contact details for you.

@@Big Andy there are 2 or 3 absolutely outstanding guides based in Mana, drop me a line when you get to the planning stage and I'll dig out their contact details for you.

I have been in touch with Doug Macdonald following other peoples recommendations on here, is he one of the ones you are talking about? Sorry for going off topic don't want to divert your TR, reply by PM if you wish thank you.

Just realised this is your older report not the current one. :rolleyes:

@@Big Andy

No problem discussing this here.

I know people here regard Doug very highly. However I do not know Doug myself.

I would personally recommend either Stretch at Goliath, or John Andrews.

@@Whyone?

Just discovered this as it rose to the surface

I have been enjoying your new report - and it has been great to read this one with its practicalities

Great pictures around camp -and great stories (buffalo, elephant with car, monkey with eggs)

This sort of trip is beyond me, but I can see why you enjoy it so much

Many thanks for your kind comments @@TonyQ.

As you have no doubt seen from reading other threads on ST, there are plenty of ways to visit Mana without doing it the awkward way! :)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Too right, those trucks definitely remind me of the trucks of the Pilbara in NW Western Australia

• 6 years later...

Amasing report, @Whyone? good written with a lot of humor and interesting details of the bush life. And stunning views! I loved the pic where all of you are sitting in chairs on Zambezi banks and watching a huge live-monitor with elephants on the river. The sundowners are also amazing! I've never been to Mucheni, even didn't stop (to show a good manners) but was camping once in Nkupe. Lions were in the area but a bit far away from the campsite. Next year it shall be an Elephant Crack, a tenten camp from Zimparks (Gwaya area, west from lodges - but you definitelly know) Last tine as we were there all 5 tents were empty... And it was in BC times (before corona). The buffalos were sleeping close by :D

I'm missing Mana... Last time was 2019...

Need to write a report as well to refresh the memories. ;-)

Please you enjoyed the report @ElenaH...and very much look forward to reading yours!