Chitake & Mana Pools - Sept 2012

Zim Girl

You got to rub the wild dog's rump! Now that had to be a treat getting to touch this creature. Joining the darting group is a real safari bonus.

I can relate to the elephants hauling out of the river when I exit a swimming pool with no ladder.

Fascinating the baboon killed the impala. They usually are seen existing so peacefully together. I wonder if the impala was injured or something.

Another superb Mana Pools report.

@@Atravelynn

The impala kill by the baboon was the 'highlight' for our guide who retold the story to everyone we met as it was such an unusual occurance. His feeling was that the impala may have had a pregnancy related illness that had made her vulnerable, but still interesting that the baboon killed in any event!

It's always fun to see your guide experience something new. Pregnancy related illness could make sense. To think those baboons may be eyeing up their impala colleagues as a potential meal under the acacias is a little creepy. I guess baboons are opportunists.

• 2 years later...
Tom Kellie

post-49296-0-27273600-1431885994_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-60314400-1431886010_thumb.jpg

~ @@Zim Girl

When I saw your photo and read your comment about enjoying a morning walk through a dry riverbed I smiled in recognition. I feel likewise, but have never before mentioned that. While quietly strolling over sand and dried mud in a rock-lined channel, one reflects on the hundreds of thousands of mornings that same dry riverbed has been there, occasionally with animals of superlative beauty as transitory visitors.

Thank you for uploading the dry riverbed image which strikes a resonant chord in my memory. Were I there with you, it might be necessary to prod me along as I'd be drawn to the vegetation, hoping to spot an insect or reptile of interest.

Speaking of reptiles of interest, your flap-necked chameleon is gorgeous!

Those shades of green look like a military camouflage designer's ultimate inspiration.

Thank you for these beautiful images, as well as the fine trip report itself.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.