The quick and the less adventurous

twaffle

Certainly looks like it Twaffle. As posted by @@PeterGermany in my Trip Report comments, here is the background:

"For those being interested. Here is the story of the buff kill ... and the injured lion. The area where it happened is basically Marsh Pride territory (and Notch and his gang have not been close to this area for at least 2 years). The buff has been killed by 5 nomadic males. At least 3 of these young males are originating from OOC. After they had fed on this kill for almost a day, the 4 Pride Males of the Marsh Pride charged in and chased them off. Two of them chased 3 up Rhino Ridge, the other 2 chased 2 down towards Paradise Plains ... and got hold of one, gave him a severe beating (that is the injured one...not too bad though). Intersting that these two intruders came back to check on the kill again".

Thanks AKR1, so it looks like we were there on the first day, shame I didn't realise that you were so close, we could have waved to each other. I must look at my son's photos as I can't remember how many lions were about. I know that there were two youngish males feeding and maybe there was one across the creek. I usually take notes but was very lazy this time.

I'll go check out the post on your report. I hope the injured lion is healthy now.

We reached camp in the MNC for a late lunch but were still able to meet some of the new arrivals before heading out for the afternoon.

On my last visit to the Mara I witnessed a rather long drawn out jackal hunt and kill of a Thomson's gazelle fawn and really didn't want to see one again. I perhaps should have said that about the caracal "never need to see another one" and then miraculously it would appear! Probably not, but as we drove along we stopped to photograph a jackal when all of a sudden 3 of them caught a fawn and that was that.

gallery_5545_368_94951.jpg

gallery_5545_368_95129.jpg

We drove over towards Elephant Pepper camp and spent time with a relaxed herd of elephants although we found one young mother who was unwell.

gallery_5545_368_167978.jpg

gallery_5545_368_218547.jpg

gallery_5545_368_171892.jpg

gallery_5545_368_245267.jpg

gallery_5545_368_172560.jpg

gallery_5545_368_137888.jpg

gallery_5545_368_6058.jpg

gallery_5545_368_233976.jpg

gallery_5545_368_185268.jpg

We left our drive before sunset because Roisin had arranged a sundowner for some of the other guests who were celebrating birthdays but on the way we spent time with a courting pair of Crowned Cranes.

gallery_5545_368_21641.jpg

gallery_5545_368_121057.jpg

gallery_5545_368_212369.jpg

gallery_5545_368_66681.jpg

gallery_5545_368_49621.jpg

gallery_5545_368_238503.jpg

The sundowner spot.

gallery_5545_368_37748.jpg

And so the sun set on the 6th day ......

gallery_5545_368_50809.jpg

Wonderful...you packed quite a bit into your shortish Mara trip! I just loved the Momma Elie and her calf.

Definitely having "Bush Withdrawal " reading all these incredible TR's now on ST. It is quite a drug, the Bush.

As I rose to spend my last full day in the Mara, and the last time out before dawn, I noticed just how bright the stars were, how still the breeze and how absolutely glorious the African night really is. So with great anticipation our close knit crew of 4, James, Mark, my son and I headed off carrying our breakfast for one final time.

Perhaps I'll just let the photos tell of how we spent our morning, most glorious sunrise followed by over 4 hours with our little cheetah family and sometimes one other vehicle, sometimes none and once with 2 for a short time.

Funnily enough, when they eventually went into heavy bush we decided to have our very belated breakfast and drove off to find a suitable, unoccupied tree. When we finished we looked around with our binoculars to see where we would head off and found our 3 cheetahs had found their shade under a nearby tree within 100m of us. We were just ordained to spend time together!

gallery_5545_368_97656.jpg

gallery_5545_368_58517.jpg

gallery_5545_368_110975.jpg

gallery_5545_368_103178.jpg

gallery_5545_368_32769.jpg

gallery_5545_368_158768.jpg

gallery_5545_368_237130.jpg

gallery_5545_368_28223.jpg

gallery_5545_368_249308.jpg

gallery_5545_368_22581.jpg

gallery_5545_368_233416.jpg

gallery_5545_368_199094.jpg

gallery_5545_368_152960.jpg

gallery_5545_368_219885.jpg

gallery_5545_368_89658.jpg

gallery_5545_368_7475.jpg

gallery_5545_368_36983.jpg

gallery_5545_368_184588.jpg

gallery_5545_368_96750.jpg

gallery_5545_368_39701.jpg

gallery_5545_368_85491.jpg

Game Warden

Nice way to spend the last day: not rushing round but just absorbing Africa, overloading your senses. I'd just be happy to spend a day sat like that, not rushing round sightings, just being a part of the scene. Lovely.

Thank you @@Game Warden it really was a lovely, stress free day. Was a time when I'd have left them when the light changed and they settled down for an hour, but I'm getting more patient with age.

Thanks .... I was very fortunate with the light indeed.

Thanks for commenting, makes it worth carrying on. :)

SafariChick

Beautiful last day photos, love the cheetah family!

What a superb trip report with numerous stunning images!!!

You really have an eye for a photograph!

I've spent my last 4 lunch-breaks with you on safari and have really enjoyed every minute of it! ;)

Sitting here trying to come up with something clever to say about these incredible images and sightings that has not been said before.

I mean they are so well captured, processed and described that it all looks like the work of an international master photographer . Its that amazing. So what can i add?

I will keep thinking on it but first i must get over my disappointment that this was your final day. Sure wish you had stayed longer. Maybe you can go back soon and bring us more fantastic reports?

Thanks ... Safarichick and Rainbirder for the comments. I never feel satisfied with what photos I've taken and always know that I need to do better. Still I do think I made the best of what I saw this year, at least I hope so.

This last afternoon felt sad but not in a despairing sort of way as I felt ready to get home and start working on my images and to see my family but also because I knew that I'd be back in Kenya in August for a completely different type of trip but a very exciting one.

From the photos you would think that we didn't see much this afternoon, but we certainly saw plenty it is just the photos aren't anything special. It also got dark quickly and I was pleased at how my 7D performed this time as it isn't the best in low light.

I don't have a worthy photo showing the young elephant cow with the half trunk and at first we thought she was the same elephant as we saw earlier as their was a young calf in the herd. After watching them for a while we realised that this cow didn't have a calf and her trunk wasn't as raw so obviously 2 with a very similar injury which is quite disturbing.

gallery_5545_368_48917.jpg

We spent some time in a lovely forest and we played around with blurs. This one I call "colours of the forest" because you can see clearly many of the different colours coming through from the different tree barks. We probably spent too long in here playing.

gallery_5545_368_101729.jpg

We had a not so edifying sighting of the cheetah male from early in our trip. Many vehicles, but not too close, only 4 or 5 around the cheetah and several standing off waiting their turn with a ranger supervising. We didn't stay long.

gallery_5545_368_161664.jpg

gallery_5545_368_122490.jpg

A last stop with another small breeding herd of elephants.

gallery_5545_368_23892.jpg

gallery_5545_368_84556.jpg

gallery_5545_368_141212.jpg

gallery_5545_368_174263.jpg

and so the sun went down on our last day in the Mara and the memories were tucked away in our duffle and camera bags as we prepared ourselves for our morning flight back to Nairobi for a quick transfer to JKIA and our flight home. I've never seen much on the drive to the airstrip so didn't have high hopes.

gallery_5545_368_35933.jpg

Sitting here trying to come up with something clever to say about these incredible images and sightings that has not been said before.

I mean they are so well captured, processed and described that it all looks like the work of an international master photographer . Its that amazing. So what can i add?

I will keep thinking on it but first i must get over my disappointment that this was your final day. Sure wish you had stayed longer. Maybe you can go back soon and bring us more fantastic reports?

Thanks Mosquito, I appreciate you following me so faithfully during this trip and for you continuing support. Now we just need to get your trip and photos up for us all to see! :)

Looking at some of the photos I realised lots of the images I could have taken if I had thought on my feet faster, but I'm getting better. I do like telling stories so I think my style of photography is moving in that direction, one day I'll get there.

SafariChick

I knew that I'd be back in Kenya in August for a completely different type of trip but a very exciting one

twaffle, have you written somewhere about what this trip is going to be, where you are going, etc.?

Thanks Mosquito, I appreciate you following me so faithfully during this trip and for you continuing support. Now we just need to get your trip and photos up for us all to see! :)

Looking at some of the photos I realised lots of the images I could have taken if I had thought on my feet faster, but I'm getting better. I do like telling stories so I think my style of photography is moving in that direction, one day I'll get there.

"and one day I will get there"....That is funny.....but keep raising the bar as it certainly inspires me (and many more no doubt)

By the way, you look fast on your feet. I marvel at the behaviors you look for and capture...and then how you setup your shots...so much for me to learn

signed,

Rubbish

your student

michael-ibk

@@twaffle

Just want to say thank you for this trip report. Following this and admiring your stunning photos has been a joy. As I already said elsewhere here - publish a book already! :)

Thanks everyone.

@@SafariChick I haven't posted details of my August trip yet, still finalising last few details but it will be quite a change for me.

@@Mosquito I'll have to talk to you severely about the 'rubbish' bit. I have some emails from you telling me to not have self doubt talk. :D

@@michael-ibk thank you so much for the comments, I am only a humble photographer with aspirations and a huge amount to learn.

Thanks ... I will have just the little drive to the airstrip to go, then preparations for my next trip will become serious!! :D

It has been a complete joy reading this trip report. Your pictures are worthy of their own exhibition and they have certainly been an inspiration to me to make a big effort to improve my photography skills - thankyou!

madaboutcheetah

Twaffle,

I haven't caught up with your report yet ...... but, must say Awesome images ..... all of them!!! Will read all of the text when i catch my breath. Also, my add ..... Your images are making me want to get editing......

Thanks everyone. Look forward to seeing your photos Hari, I'm sure you'll have some great ones.

Thanks Robert, welcome to Safaritalk.

We visited the Mara in late January but reading your report makes me "homesick" already! It make's me so happy to see "my" escarpment in the background of some of your photos. Fabulous pictures - words cannot do them justice.

oh my gosh, love that Topi!