Safari Dazed: Feb/March in Northern Tanzania

sugarpond

I have really enjoyed reading your report and seeing your photographs. It sounds a fantastic first trip. You saw such a variety and number of animals and your delight in safari comes through loud and clear. I am glad that you found the time, and the inclination to just sit and watch sometimes. It is good to put the camera down and just absorb the atmosphere.

The tears as you leave resonate................

You will no doubt get back one day.

Thank you @@sugarpond for this wonderful trip report. Your joy and enthusiasm made me feel like I was there. I have a feeling that you will be going on safari again.

SafariChick

I too really enjoyed reading this report and seeing your photos. I agree that your happiness at being there and at everything you experienced shone through in your writing, making it a pleasure to read. Thanks for sharing and I hope (and believe) you will return to Africa!

I pop in and out here as I am taking care of my seriously ill labrador (Gracie), but I have to tell you I loved your enthusiasm, the "OMG I am really here report" as opposed to some of the more technical, less humanized (sorry but there are SOME) reports that pop up....the 3-day old ellie, how exciting and so very very cute...

The lions in the tree- something I've never see and am so anxious too! The love for your guide who you always want at every camp; who doesn't?? We always find special guides we never want to leave.......and Africa, I never EVER want to leave...don't know when I'll get back ~ so enjoying every tidbit I can from reports!

Thank you for making my "ICU" visits a bit more joyful.. :)

I pop in and out here as I am taking care of my seriously ill labrador (Gracie), but I have to tell you I loved your enthusiasm, the "OMG I am really here report" as opposed to some of the more technical, less humanized (sorry but there are SOME) reports that pop up....the 3-day old ellie, how exciting and so very very cute...

The lions in the tree- something I've never see and am so anxious too! The love for your guide who you always want at every camp; who doesn't?? We always find special guides we never want to leave.......and Africa, I never EVER want to leave...don't know when I'll get back ~ so enjoying every tidbit I can from reports!

Thank you for making my "ICU" visits a bit more joyful.. :)

@@graceland good vibes sent to Gracie! and thanks for your kind words!

Enjoyed your report very much Sugarpond, start planning now for your next trip.

• 4 weeks later...

Giraffe Manor and Sheldrick's up front is a better plan to me than at the end. The more managed encounters can lose a little luster after you've spent time in the bush. So I think it worked out.

Can you tell us when you scheduled your 3 Sheldrick's visits?

My mom really really really wanted to go to Giraffe Manor in Nairobi and the only way we could fit it in our budget was to go first so instead of relaxing after our safari, we relaxed before.

Hi Atravelynn!! I scheduled the two "foster parent" visits ahead of time by email. The other visit was the public daily visit that you don't have to schedule. You can also schedule your foster visit at the public visit, even if you are not a foster. They allow you to see the babies put to bed and sign up to foster after. I would highly recommend both places. The orphanage because it is a such a well run operation and the GM because the staff there is so nice! I'm still in touch with Patience!

Giraffe Manor and Sheldrick's up front is a better plan to me than at the end. The more managed encounters can lose a little luster after you've spent time in the bush. So I think it worked out.

Can you tell us when you scheduled your 3 Sheldrick's visits?

My mom really really really wanted to go to Giraffe Manor in Nairobi and the only way we could fit it in our budget was to go first so instead of relaxing after our safari, we relaxed before.

• 1 year later...
Atravelynn

Only a year + later I see the response. Thank you. I also saw that incredible centipede wasp nest. And the live wild dogs. Great shot of them playing. Your Mara River scenery is a gorgeous picture. Rhino in Serengeti, very nice find, right along with your first cheetahs.

"Yes everyone, I was crying tears to say goodbye to our guide." Many of us can relate.

Your link on good guiding in Tanzania brought me back here. Thanks!

@@sugarpond

Just came late to this great report

Very enjoyable with excellent pictures

Exciting to se the cheetah - and the dogs

But my favourite is the lion falling out of the tree while asleep (reminds me of my cats!)

I imagine you will be going on safari again...

• 2 weeks later...

thanks to @@Atravelynn for bumping up this report! I had such a great time reading your trip, @@sugarpond. I was laughing out loud at some parts, angry at certain parts (like the guide chasing and hampering the wild dogs' hunt) and can relate to your sadness when you left Fadhil behind.

your trip was quite similar to our first safari trip too - tarangire/Olivers first, then ngorongoro. we also were at northern serengeti. i love your panaroma pix, particularly the one with the kids walking along the road, and the pix of the dogs playing. sad that there were so few of them left then, but hope the number has improved since.

@@sugarpond Looks like a great trip... sounds like a great trip. So most likely it was a great trip, and I enjoyed reading about it all. Also, looking through your pictures is very "being there" and I liked them too. The tearful lion is funny while your effort to get a shot of racing dik-diks is admirable.

Really nice to hear your take on it all as well. You were clearly very well read and prepared, but there were still some surprises. I love the surprises.

Lovely TR @@sugarpond

you had some great sightings and I also like that you put in lots of photos of the people you met along the way. neat.

• 2 weeks later...
Atravelynn

Those running dik diks are indeed a notable shot.

I didn't know tse tses give birth to one live baby insect. I think that would be even more challenging than trying to find a wildebeest giving birth. A tse tse birthing quest would add a new twist to the safari. Should we get Bill to put something together for that?

Thanks for that fascinating tidbit of info.