The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

@@africapurohit - very very lucky indeed. In 70 trips to Kruger we had a fleeting sighting twice. We see at least one on a trip to the KTP and most times long enough to get a picture.

Panthera Pardus

Thanks @@Dam2810 - you will not regret it

I don't usually go mad for bird photos, but these are really some of the best I've seen on this forum. Awesome- love the black shouldered kite and the upside down bateleur, and the white faces Scops- I don't think I've ever seen one in daylight.

Panthera Pardus

@@stokeygirl - thanks stokeygirl. White faced scops is regularly see in Nossob Camp and we have seen it many times on a game drive.

kittykat23uk

I still haven't seen a honey badger! Are there areas that are particularly good for them that are worth checking out?

Panthera Pardus

@@kittykat23uk - one comes regularly to the Grootkolk waterhole. We also see them often driving south from Grootkolk.The area around Nossob has been good for us too. We have only seen one on the Auob side and that was near 13th Borehole. Other people have had good sightings around Urikaruus and 13th Borehole.

Panthera Pardus

Just because the honey badger is so popular and that Bedinkt sighting was our best, here are a few more that we managed to get pictures of.

These two south of Grootkolk at the Kaa Intersection (Val is my daughter in law). They were in a hurry but we saw them running in the rivrbed for about 200 meters before they crossed the road

IMG_1851.jpg

IMG_0799.jpg

The one at 13th Borehole

IMG_1256_zpscc3e2615.jpg

IMG_1250_zps723951d5.jpg

Nossob Rivebed near Kannagauss

CB7A5802_zps04b65b88.jpg

Near Rooiputs - if you see Pale Chanting Goshawks on the floor, scan the area, they waiting for whatever the HB digs up

CB7A4717a_zpsc7092240.jpg

IMG_2768a_zps622cd6a4.jpg

IMG_2762a_zps6403ef92.jpg

Just south of Nossob

IMG_1625_zps4b493824.jpg

This just for you stokeygirl - usually seen just north of Urikaruus

IMG_3851a_zpsf4d58117.jpg

Edited by Panthera Pardus

africapurohit

I have a copy of the honey badger documentary "The Meanest Animal in the World?" that was filmed in Tsavo, Kenya. This also films and discusses the relationship between honey badgers and pale chanting goshawks.

That is so interesting to know, AP. Will put that documentary on my list. Off topic- with your (and others) very interesting collection of documentaries, could we perhaps compile a list of the really good non-cat/unusual animal documentaries in one place in the reviews thread? Could be birds, reptiles, mammals - anything really except for the cats and parks which are all quite well known? Or perhaps we could list those too, but separately?

Panthera Pardus

Thanks @@africapurohit, will try to get hold of it

Good idea @@Sangeeta. There is amazing, must watch documentary on honey badgers titled the "Snake Killers of the Kalahari" . The first link is a little fragment from that doccie and the second link is the doccie when you have time to see it. Will not spoil itby telling you more

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEAGxQqC6hI

and no, just cannot understand the comments some people make on youtube :angry:

africapurohit

@@Sangeeta I have thought about doing it with my collection (around 150 African wildlife documentaries). I've almost finished cataloguing my movie collection electronically (using dvd/blu-ray bar codes), with almost 2000 movies. The documentaries will be my next project.

@@Panthera Pardus sorry to go off topic.

P.S. I also have the original Nat Geo dvd of "Snake Killers of the Kalahari".

This has helped me so much with our trip planning for KTP. Have been busy marking the places you mention on the map. Thanks for the info on entering from Nambia, a great help. Pen

What a wealth of information you have presented about this part of southern Africa. Thanks

Panthera Pardus

@@penolva - you welcome

@@johnkok - thanks, still a long way to go

Panthera Pardus

We in Nossob Now.

IMG_3284_zps1051376c.jpg?359

A relatively large camp compared to the Wilderness camps but nothing like a Skukuza or Satara in Kruger. Nosson offers wonderful sunsets

IMG_2582a_zpsbc4d7e4f.jpg?t=1367517602?4

and as you enjoy a sundowner you will see squirrels and yelow mongoose that will pose for you

IMG_0939_zpse98f54b4.jpg?862

Black backed jackals will also be around, careful, they have been known to run off with that juicy steak on the braai. Yes, some people still do feed them.

Although the area around Nossob has a lot to offer, we are first and foremost in lion country

You will see them walking alongside the road

330_zpsdc29352e.jpg?109

Walking on the road

KTP09akbar541_zpsff8e000a.jpg?116

Sleeping on the road

KTP09akbar526_zpsa0c1c12d.jpg?131

Eating on the road

CB7A5264a_zpsae4a29e5.jpg

Just lazing around on the road

IMG_4165a_zps9388df51.jpg

Hunting from the road

IMG_4033a_zps4ab399de.jpg

Nossob has a hide. You will see them here too

KTP09sharifa1692_zps2ab6823d.jpg?451

they will see you too in the hide

KTP09sharifa1682_zpsf8b6298a.jpg?133

They will be under the hide, in the shade

IMG_0545_zpsfcf57963.jpg?341

yes you will walk above them on the path leading to the hide, they will be mating

IMG_8185_zps153e10c1.jpg?683

Little ones sprawled out alongside the road

IMG_2761_zps18b7cc2c.jpg

while big ones look at you

272_zpsc2876109.jpg?435

Love it !!!

Panthera Pardus

Driving south form Nossob, it is worthwhile taking the Marie se Draai loop. This will add 20km to the journey but the waterhole at Marie se Gat can be very rewrding early in the morning and late afternoon. Lions, caracals, brown hyena and cheetah are regularly seen. Leopards less frequently. There also the antelopes.

IMG_1187.jpg

IMG_1194.jpg

IMG_5681.jpg?563

CB7A5187a.jpg

IMG_0816a.jpg

Kaspersedraai waterhole is good for lions, brown hyena, honey badger and leopards

IMG_1236.jpg

A close encounter

IMG_5715.jpg?534

Look in the trees for African Wild Cat

CB7A6300.jpg?372

kittykat23uk

African wild cats look very similar to Indian jungle cat. :)

Just a beautiful, beautiful piece of photo journalism.

Panthera Pardus

@@kittykat23uk - never new about the Indian Jungle cat, googled it - just like the AWC. Thanks for the info

Panthera Pardus

Oops, made a duplicate post and don't know how to dellete one of them.

@@Sangeeta - thank you

Panthera Pardus

We still driving south on the Nossob side. The picture below will give you an idea of the landscape

IMG_0959_zpsd27b8db0.jpg

Look out for cape fox, bat eared fox and meerkat dens. Some of them are close to the road, on both the Nossob and Auob sides, and you are likely to see them early in the morning. Park off and they will settle down and give you a treat.

IMG_3765a_zps1fb4f677.jpg?t=1367741688?6

CB7A6463_zps3f7cbf88.jpg?t=1367738680?20

CB7A6459_zpsdfd93510.jpg?t=1367738654?19

CB7A6474_zps6243f165.jpg?t=1367738715?30

IMG_9102_zps7f4a8c1d.jpg?900

IMG_9111_zps1aba8f60.jpg?888

IMG_9122_zpsfcf612a6.jpg?676

IMG_0323_zps038ca9ca.jpg?690

KTP09sharifa266_zpse28d98a2.jpg?122

from September depending when the first rains come, there will be plenty of rodents: stripe mice, tree rats, whistling rats, elephant shrews.

IMG_0773_zpsd34212db.jpg?683

Which means the cape cobra and puff adder will be out too and you have a good chance of seeing both

372_zpsa2ba931b.jpg?730

371_zpsebc044b3.jpg?469

The cape cobra also feeds on the puff adder and people have seen the cobra kill and swallow an adder. People have also seen adders mating on the road. Both on my wish list

Also out for the rodents will be the raptores

A black shouldered kite hovering before it dives is an amazing site

IMG_0595_zps4759c8e4.jpg?418

IMG_0129_zps12ce1877.jpg?569

Oops, made a duplicate post and don't know how to dellete one of them.

@@Sangeeta - thank you

one of my new magical powers............. duplicate post has gone.

BTW these images are lovely and really enjoying the whole thread.

Panthera Pardus

Thank you @@wilddog for your magical powers and for the kind words :)