The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

What is the opinion of everyone about giving these wild animals "names"? Is it fault of the BBC or Wild Cat Diary? I called a lioness we saw in Lebala camp last year "Beauty Spot" but just for us. I just wonder? Pen

well, if you follow some of the threads on the SANParks forum, especially those related to KTP, you will notice that South Africans are extremely fond of and passionate about this park, much moreso than about say KNP. Don't ever try to say something negative, don't even voice the slightest critism or they will be all over you B)

personally, I don't mind giving names to cats, it makes it easier to discuss sightings of the same individuals with other travellers and helps trackers / guides to communicate among themselves

Safaridude

Just got back from Kgalagadi and what a surprise... to find this thread. Excellent.

KTP is addictive. It's incredible. Already thinking about returning...

@@Safaridude - Been thinking about you every time I read another installment on this thread. Love it when I hear the word 'addictive' from you :)

PP: How wet is May as a rule? If April is the end of the rainy season, then is May a cusp time or mostly dry?

@@ice - the reason I asked about 'animals' was precisely because I was not referring to the usual predators - my focus would be on brown hyena, meerkat (still haven't seen those and they are high on my list) and caracal would be cool. But on this one I would also like to generally savor the wildness that both you and PP refer to.

According to an old book on Kgalagadi I have, average rainfall totals are: Jan - 48mm; Feb - 42mm; Mar - 31mm; Apr - 35mm; May - 13mm; Jun - 4mm; Jul - 1mm; Aug - 1mm; Sep - 1mm; Oct - 12mm; Nov - 18mm; Dec - 14mm

As a practical matter, rain is totally erratic in Kgalagadi, and also there is a steep rainfall gradient from southwest to northeast (below 200mm a year at Twee Rivieren and above 300mm a year in the Mabuasehube area in Botswana). I don't know where the rainfall totals in the above paragraph were measured. Generally, Kgalagadi has its own rainfall pattern. The rains tend to trail other parts of Southern Africa by a month.

Panthera Pardus

The annual rainfall is about 210mm per annum, so very few days with rain in this part of the world. It is after all known as the Great Thirstland. It rains mainly between November and April. The rainfalls in thunderstorms and not days on end. If you have a 14 day trip in April or in November you could get a day or two with a thunderstorm. When we arrived in the KTP last December it iwas bucketing it down. We had a 10 day trip and got another great thunder shower when staying at Grootkolk five days later. During these thunder showers puddles of water form and the animals do stay away from the waterholes as they getting fresh rain water - the borehole water can be high in minerals and brackish. It was our first time in Grootkolk in 5 stays that we did not get preadotors coming to the waterhole. We still found all 3 of the cats when we went on drives during our two day stay in Grootkolk.

The thunderstorms can be very heavy and we are talking dirt roads so yes, people have got stuck. N

April or November - Personally, I would go in November. Like ice said, you get longer days. There would have been a storm or two already and the riverbeds will be transformed into a carpet of green and you will also see the flowers of the KTP. I will post pictures of these later.

Panthera Pardus

@@Safaridude - definitely an addictive place. Hope you will tell us all about it. What camps you stayed in, your sightings and your impressions about it.

Edited by Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

What is the opinion of everyone about giving these wild animals "names"? Is it fault of the BBC or Wild Cat Diary? I called a lioness we saw in Lebala camp last year "Beauty Spot" but just for us. I just wonder? Pen

I am neutral about it @@penolva. The big tuskers in Kruger had names. So we got Mafunyane and Duke and Shawu who were some of these magnificent elephants with huge tusks and it was fun looking for them an identifying them. No other animals in Kruger have names.

The cheetah in KTP have names because of the work done by Gus and Margie Mills. Like I said befor they collared some cheetah and worked with them for five years and obviously named them. The project is over, the collars are off and now if you see Lisette or Caster or Elena it is just another cheetah sighting unless you go compare spots with photos you already have. Visitors often sent pictures of the collared cheetahs to the Mills for identification and to help with the project.

An ordinary regular tourist like you and me started a leopard identification project. He has a list of 49 leopards of the KTP and each one has a name and photos. If you see a leopard in the KTP you can use his guide to see if it is a known leopard. If it is a new one then you get the honour to name it. It is a good project in that it tells you movements of the leopards, their range, when they were last seen, their parents, their offspring.

You can read more about it in the link below if you are interested

http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=38&t=18567

Panthera Pardus

@@Sangeeta - May is dry. It will start getting chilly but not freezing at night. Sangeeta, talk to felloe tourists about the little things. They will tell you about their sightings and where the active dens for meerkats, cape foxes and bat eraed foxes are.

If you stay at Grootkolk, Kieliekrankie and Urikaruus, you have a very good chance of a Brown hyena coming to the waterhole for a drink and you will have the pleasure of seeing one from the verandah of your chalet.

The drive south from Nossob has been very good to us for brown hyena too. Marie se Gat, Kasper se Draai and Cheleka waterholes especially.

Caracal and honey badger - a lot of luck and a littler prayer :)

Panthera Pardus

That trip in September 2011 was our fourth to the KTP. Although we had seen cheetah on the previous three trips we were just amazed at the quality of the sightings on this trip. We were booked for a 18 day trip in Kruger for December 2011. As soon as we got home we went to the online booking system and could get a 10 day trip to the KTP. Yes, you can get lucky online and I do realise you overseas folk require a lot more time to do the planning. We canceled Kruger and booked for the KTP, starting at Kalahari Tented Camp, moving on to Grootkolk and Nossob and then Mata Mata - not bad for a last minute booking. We just had to see Lisette and Caster and all the cubs again.

On our first drive up to Kalahari Tented Camp on 26 December 2011 we found Lisette and the cubs in the shade of a tree at Kamqua Waterhole.

IMG_2760_zps93fb37e1.jpg

But our best sighting of her for this trip was on the 28 December at Rooibrak when they were feeding on a springbok

Also on the first drive up to KTC we found Caster doing what she did best - hunting springboks at 14 Borehole but in the heat of the day

IMG_3051_zpsb565f838.jpg

Amazing to see Caster oblivious of a Secretary Brid who was like telling her, forget it, it is too hot and they have seen you

IMG_2857_zpsfa73201f.jpg

IMG_2858_zps0dc63ea2.jpg

while the cubs looked from afar

IMG_2875_zpsfc920124.jpg

We also saw her on 03 January 2012 at Rooibrak Waterhole. She has a wound as you can see. She had a skirmish with lions on 28 December (we just missed it by minutes, a fellow tourist told us) and arrived at the scene as she and the cubs were running off. We were glad she got away.

IMG_3839_zps9e5bc5fc.jpg

IMG_3757_zps54c10797.jpg

IMG_3788_zps7bdb420e.jpg

IMG_3792_zps98fba651.jpg

IMG_3810_zps7b4ea405.jpg

Our best cheetah sightings for the December 2011 trip though, came on the 29 December and it was not Lisette or Caster ;)

I am neutral about it @@penolva. The big tuskers in Kruger had names. So we got Mafunyane and Duke and Shawu who were some of these magnificent elephants with huge tusks and it was fun looking for them an identifying them. No other animals in Kruger have names. The cheetah in KTP have names because of the work done by Gus and Margie Mills. Like I said befor they collared some cheetah and worked with them for five years and obviously named them. The project is over, the collars are off and now if you see Lisette or Caster or Elena it is just another cheetah sighting unless you go compare spots with photos you already have. Visitors often sent pictures of the collared cheetahs to the Mills for identification and to help with the project. An ordinary regular tourist like you and me started a leopard identification project. He has a list of 49 leopards of the KTP and each one has a name and photos. If you see a leopard in the KTP you can use his guide to see if it is a known leopard. If it is a new one then you get the honour to name it. It is a good project in that it tells you movements of the leopards, their range, when they were last seen, their parents, their offspring. You can read more about it in the link below if you are interested http://www.sanparks.org/forums/viewtopic.php?style=2&f=38&t=18567

Thanks for the link. Very interested and will take copies of the markings. So glad the collared cheetah now are free of their collars. You have some beautiful photos of them. Pen

madaboutcheetah

Oh Wow - You certainly have your favourite cheetahs at KTP. Thanks for this!!! Love every minute of this report....

Panthera Pardus

Thanks @@madaboutcheetah.

On the 29 December 2011 we were moving camps from Kalahari Tented Camp to Grootkolk. A long drive so we were out at gate opening time. At Sitzas waterhole we caught

Smit

057_zpsa78b9ae6.jpg

S2136_zpsd1acd21c.jpg

and Smith in the golden early morning light.

S2143_zpsf0032415.jpg

S2146_zps651d8f11.jpg

They did some territorial spray marking

S2151_zps9d438181.jpg

S2110_zps23d12095.jpg

before settling down on the road

S2164_zps8ec03c58.jpg

S2176_zps9223bf2e.jpg

S2186_zps7aecb7b8.jpg

We left them as we had a long way to drive but we were stopped in our tracks at 14 Borehole by Elena :)

Panthera Pardus

Just before 14 Borehole, Elena was on the right

S22362-1.jpg

and on the left in the riverbed were a group of springboks.

S2238.jpg

Elena quietly inched her way towards the springboks as you can see in the video below

I was doing the stills and video as Elena was on my side. Sharifa was all ready with her camera as I would not be positioned correctly when Elena charged.

She was across the road in a leap and a bound (photos taken through windscreen so not best quality)

S2248.jpg

S22502.jpg

S2260.jpg

and at top speed, it is just fantastic to see how quickly a cheetah gets to top speed and see one run at full throttle.

S2266.jpg

S2267.jpg

S2271.jpg

S2274.jpg

S2273.jpg

The springbok got away this time, but we had just witnessed one of the spectacles of nature.

S2279.jpg

The Auob Riverbed is a great place for cheetah sightings. There are no guarantees about wildlife as the only predictability about animals is their unpredicatability but you have a wonderful chance of getting close to cheetah here.

Panthera Pardus

The Auob Riverbed is also very good for leopard and Lion sightings but before I do that I want to talk about the other animals/birds you can see. I have discussed the Raptors and it is the same as for the Nossob side. You have seen the waxbills, finches, weavers and whydahs that visit Grootkolk. In addition to these the KTP also has

the lilac breasted roller

IMG_0462_zps0cee2e65.jpg

IMG_4428_zpsc151d98f.jpg

The purple roller

IMG_0367_zps0468b8e1.jpg

Ostrich

CB7A6247_zpsaec18da6.jpg

Kori Bustard, if lucky you will also see the Ludwigs Bustard

CB7A4639_zps2ba70fae.jpg

Swallow Tailed Bee-Eater

IMG_7396_zpsfa52bfb1.jpg

Gemsbok (Oryx) and Springboks

IMG_2247a_zps173d5ff7.jpg

Baby Oryx - looks muck like a Roan Antelope when young

IMG_8431_zps2d463a8e.jpg

Springboks Pronking - always good to watch

IMG_9955_zps2490ef86.jpg

Crimson Breasted Shrike

IMG_1022_zpsa993ac54.jpg

kittykat23uk

You should set yourself up as a tour guide! @@Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

quoted content removed at ex-member's request

@@kittykat23uk - the thought has crossed my mind.

What else, the canon 200-400 :rolleyes: after reading the review you linked

I love the cheetah's back legs overtaking the front and that LBR is stunning. Pen

Panthera Pardus

@@penolva - thabnk you. The LBR is a very photogenic bird.

Panthera Pardus

After a thundershower or two the park will be transformed. Many flowers will bloom and the Riverbeds will be green

IMG_8950_zps82380a22.jpg

IMG_8941_zps6cccaa7c.jpg

IMG_8980_zps22bbb8fa.jpg

IMG_0176_zps2af59ff4.jpg

IMG_2935_zpscc35f833.jpg

More birds of the KTP

Greater spotted cuckoo

IMG_9161_zpsd0434c93.jpg

African Cuckoo

IMG_3941_zps77e0cd23.jpg

Spotted thick knee - note the chicks to the right

IMG_7437_zps496764a5.jpg

Next will be the leopards of the KTP

IMG_8403_zps2ebc8cc3.jpg

these two look like they had a fight that morning

IMG_9825_zpsae3ec1b0.jpg

That Thick knee looks like it has a hangover or is totally disdainful of all those tourists pointing a camera at it :-)

PP, just caught up with your brilliant report. Thanks for posting this and the in-depth details and reporting.

africapurohit

@@Panthera Pardus if you had 8 nights to stay at the 3 main restcamps (with the Wilderness Camps ruled out), how would you split them? And would you advise staying more than 8 nights, if possible?

Panthera Pardus

@@AKR1 - thank you

@@africapurohit - 8 nights is good. Start off with 2 nights in Twee Rivieren (TR). We have not had much luck in the area with spotted cats but they are seen regularly at Samevloeiing, and Leeudrill. A leopard is also regularly seen just outside the TR gate. The Nossob side is better from TR. On the Aoub side , it is very slow from Samevloeiing till Houmoed.

Spend the next three nights at Nossob followed by 3 nigts at Kalahari Tented Camp (or Mata Mata). I prefer KTC and they do have family tents.

Panthera Pardus

Where are the leopards in the KTP?

We have stayed in Grootkolk 5 times and have seen leopards on each occasion. Marie se Draai south of Nossob provides regular sightings. So does Dikbaardskolk, Rooiputs and Leeudrill on the Nossob side although we have only seen them at Grootkolk. I have already posted pictures of Rosa, Safran and N!xau from the Grootkolk area.

On the Auob side sightings north of Dalkeith are very rare. From 13 Borehole south right down to Houmoed are good. Samevloeiing is also good for leopard sightings.

We have stayed in Urikaruus 4 times and again, on each occasion we have seen leopards. Below are the ones we have seen on the Auob side.

This is Khomani seen at 13 Borehole. Her range is from Dalkeith to Montrose.

IMG_3024_zps10e35629.jpg

IMG_30292_zps67d1f2c5.jpg

Khomani has a daughter Miera. We have seen Miera on 3 of our trips. She is habituated to cars and her range is from 14 Borehole to Auchterlonie.

At Montrose waterhole, feeding on an springbok and then posing for us before going for a drink

CB7A8070_zps415045bb.jpg

CB7A8081_zps8be6fed8.jpg

CB7A8208_zpsbdda4ce6.jpg

CB7A8254_zps8e5380ad.jpg

At Gemsbokplein Waterhole - right alongside the road

IMG_96872_zps470be3d0.jpg

IMG_96822_zps0f26b100.jpg

IMG_96832_zps3fb6825a.jpg

Some more leopards in the next episode

I wonder how many ST members have moved KTP to the top of their bucket list as a result of this report? The whole report is fascinating and inspiring. Thank you again.........

I believe you said you had made several trips to KTP over the years and you have obviously had some superb sightings (and photographs) during that time.

How have these areas changed (if at all) in relation to the frequency/ease of wildlife sightings since your first visit?

Panthera Pardus

Thank you @@wilddog. Our data on KTP is not as extensive as for KNP. We have 7 trips, the first was in May 2007. The first trip was 4 days and we stayed 2 days each in Mata Mata and Nossob. Our impression was OK here is another Park we can visit - we saw two prides of lions, a cheetah, brown hyena, bat eared fox and African Wildcat for the first time. Pygmy Falcon for the first time, a Lanner Falcon catch a dove in mid air (wow). Kruger was still top of the list at this stage.

Our second trip was only 2 days. My daughter and son in law were visiting from London and we decided at the last minute to do KTP with them. We got a day in Twee Rivieren and a day in Mata Mata and 2 days in Augrabies National Park (this is a good stop over place to/from the KTP and Sharifa or I will do a report on it). In that one and a half days in the KTP we saw three prides of lion and a cheetah and a Lanner Falco do its thing again (wow), cape fox for the first time and nice meerkat and bat eared fox sightings.

We had to find out more and booked a 15 day trip for Decmber 2009 doing all the Wilderness camps and Nossob. There was no looking back after this. We saw cats almost everyday and seeing them come to the waterhole at the Wilderness Camps was a new experience for us. The raptors and other bird sightings was great as well. Since then we have made 4 more trips, all long ones and have not been disappointed. I said it in my introduction: I don't think that there is a better place for cat and raptor sightings for the price you pay (these days about R1300 for two people in a Wilderness Camp). There will be days without cats, for us they have been few, but we do not mind that, there are the birds, and antelope and the possibility of finding honey badger and caracal, aardvark and aardwolf.

Grootkolk, Urikaruss and Nossob have been consistently good for us. Kalahari Tented Camp was disappointing in our last two trips but friends of ours staying there a few days after us did great with their sightings.

I will be finishing of the section on leopards next and then want to talk more about Urikaruus, followed by a section on lions, then move on to Kieliekrankie and Twee Rivieren.

Panthera Pardus

This is Tsamma and she hangs around 13 borehole area where we saw her

IMG_1237_zps9a96fd72.jpg

IMG_9336_zps94a21a66.jpg

Tsamma is the daughter of Baralong, who hangs out around Urikaruus. We have not seen Baralong. Here are Barolong's latest cubs Tshidi and Seleka seen 3km south of Urikaruus

Tshidi

CB7A6797_zps69f0a337.jpg

IMG_6883_zps0246a851.jpg

CB7A6765_zpsdc0197fb.jpg

Seleka

CB7A6832_zpsa123bb08.jpg

IMG_7296_zps92810a15.jpg

This handsome fellow is Dakatoh

IMG_9767_zps48833f6e.jpg

We saw him also south of Urikaruus together with the female Amur, who is usually around Kieielkarnakie and Auchterloie, but had a date with Dakotah :)

Amur

IMG_1381_zps19640f0e.jpg

IMG_9791_zpsb7bfdd5f.jpg