The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

Panthera Pardus

I have posted photos of Urikaruus Camp. Like Grootkolk, this is a special camp. You can have a lazy persons safari at both these camps just waiting for the animals to come to the waterhole. Urikaruus is on stilts and from the deck adjoining the kitchen you look down upon the waterhole. The bedroom which is at a higher level than the kitchen and has a balcony looking down on the waterhole. Thus you can see a procession of animals and raptors coming to the waterhole all day and night. Lions, leopards and cheetah are in the area. Spotted hyena den in the area. Brown hyena, caracals and African wildcats all visit the waterhole as do the antelope. It would be sheer bad luck if you do not see at least one predator a day at the waterhole.

Eland at the waterhole

IMG_1405_zps6c8b332c.jpg

A cape fox, who has been named Charlie, has a den right next to unit 4. She comes to say hello in the evenings. You can see the lion paw print in the photo. Lions and leopards sometimes do walk between the units on the way to the waterhole

IMG_6322_zpsa07ecce4.jpg

Cape foxes have cubs in summer and Charlie might give you a treat

IMG_6049_zpsb343cdf6.jpg

Lioness drinking with giraffe lookin on. Lion kills have been made close to camp

IMG_1424_zpsbeaad5eb.jpg

Spotted Hyena

IMG_1476_zpsf41a2e3f.jpg

Brown Hyena

IMG_1563_zps76ce3f66.jpg

Lion

IMG_1408_zps3d8a1ebf.jpg

Black backed Jackal and Caracal

IMG_1577_zpsaa3342bd.jpg

Lionesses

IMG_1414_zps47c74cec.jpg

Lion

IMG_6132_zpsed58882d.jpg

IMG_1585_zps45f87c75.jpg

One evening we had a lion come to the waterhole. So0n after that 5 spotted hyena pitched up, harassing him. This went on for about 20 minutes before they drove him away.

Panthera Pardus

they were extinct in the KTP. In 1990 eight Giraffe from Ethosa (3 bulls, 5 cows) were relocated and kept in a boma near Mata Mata for adaptation. They were released into the park after that and I would guestimate there are about 40 now in the Park. They are between Kamqua and Mata Mata.

africapurohit

@@Panthera Pardus the cape fox is a fantastic sighting - are sightings in KTP generally rare?

Panthera Pardus

@@africapurohit - not so rare but we did not see any on two of our trips. Very good chance of seeing them early morning drive from Twee Rivieren to Rooiputs on the Nossob side and between Auchterlonie and Urikaruus on the Auob side.

During Oct-Jan, very good chance of finding playful cubs.

Panthera Pardus

The Lions of the KTP.

A morning drive on the Auob Riverbed should give you a lion sighting. There are very few days we have not seen lions. Walking in the riverbed, feeding, lazing around. We have seen a stalk and on another occasion missed an Eland kill be minutes.

CB7A4691a_zps79cc784c.jpg

IMG_6434_zpsad659d08.jpg

IMG_5827_zps5987c479.jpg

CB7A5102a_zpscef94cd6.jpg

IMG_5915_zps563d9776.jpg

KTP09akbar212_zpsed34bc63.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m/6z3r7b/1

KTP09akbar283_zps2993c1b4.jpg

IMG_9054_zps48b941fc.jpg

KTP09akbar230_zps861c5d04.jpg

KTP09akbar228_zpsed254c3b.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m/70gvo5/1

IMG_3521_zpsa5f916bb.jpg

IMG_0861_zpsce81552e.jpg

http://tinypic.com/m/6z3rci/1

IMG_5839_zps35529439.jpg

IMG_0905_zps06ccf41f.jpg

Wow -it was really only just minutes; she hasn't even started on the eland yet

last summer, there was a huge migration of elands from the Botswana to the ZA side; according to the head field guide of KTP, one small pride alone killed four different eland in merely one night ; three of these elands were not touched at all (killed simply out of instict), in March you could still see their mumified carcasses next to the waterhole (the smaller predators did not touch them, either; there was just so much meat around the area for a few months)

by the way, the massive eland herds had a big negative impact on the ecosystem because they drank so much water from the boreholes, there was hardly any water left for the "regular" visitors - and when the basins were were empty, some of the eland bulls destroyed or damaged them, looking for more water

post-6901-0-56698600-1369141395_thumb.png

post-6901-0-42766000-1369141414_thumb.png

Panthera Pardus

@@ice - correct and first time we saw Eland in the KTP. Every waterhole had a dead Eland or three and they did damge some of the waterholes. They also seemed to be easy prey for the lions.

Panthera Pardus

Before we move on to Kieliekrankie Camp something about the Raptors of the KTP. These birds love to bathe, and cool off or just have a drink and they start moving to the waterholes from mid morning.

Cape Vulture

IMG_5414_zps0007dbbd.jpg

Lappet Faced Vulture

IMG_5462_zpsaecfaf1e.jpg

Cubitje Quap and Kij Kij are especially good to see vultures but they could turn up at any of the waterholes

IMG_5418_zpsb30a602e.jpg

IMG_5404_zps7a5c42cd.jpg

IMG_5463_zpsa9912084.jpg

IMG_5387_zps34321e3b.jpg

A Tawny Eagle joins the party

IMG_5443_zpsd22eeef7.jpg

Bateleur Eagles

IMG_5549_zps87578f1a.jpg

IMG_5578_zps5ef29239.jpg

Martial Eagle

IMG_1376_zpsffb321fa.jpg

Lanner Falcon

IMG_0507_zps976d1489.jpg

Tawny Eagle

IMG_9610_zps655690d7.jpg

Secretary Birds and Vultures

IMG_3160_zps60e61ba1.jpg

IMG_9538_zps04dc9313.jpg

Not Raptors but still feeling the heat

IMG_0433_zps95c1c6bd.jpg

Panthera Pardus

Kieliekrankie Camp

This camp is set on one of the highest dunes in the Kalahari and has majestic views and like all the Wilderness Camps overlooks a waterhole.

KTP09sharifa116_zpsb17ab790.jpg

On the left is the Attendants Resident and then the cabins. The sun sets towards the right and the last unit on the right is great for sunsets. The structure in front is the Parking Area

KTP09sharifa189_zpsa9506755.jpg

KTP09sharifa193_zps47106981.jpg

KTP09sharifa192_zps62e17412.jpg

The waterhole is further from the units than at Urikaruus and Grootkolk but Brown Hyenas are regular visitors and lions, leopards and raptors are also seen

KTP09sharifa119_zps2eaaa954.jpg

The advantage of Kieliekrankie is you can get to either the Auob or Nossob Riverbed and the drive to the Nossob Riverbed can be rewarding at Kij Kammies, Tierkop and Kij Kij waterholes. The drive to the Auob side is shorter and on the dune road and at Auchterlonie Waterhole you could be rewarded as you will get there before people from the other camps. The drive north also is great with Gemsbokplein, Batulama and Montrose waterholes all being very good.

The area also presents great landscape photos especially if a storm is building.

IMG_2501_zps94ff4e6f.jpg

IMG_2511_zps0049dc9b.jpg

IMG_2531_zps682e4d76.jpg

Entrance to the unit and the kitchen and deck area

IMG_2523_zpsdf9e0f9f.jpg

IMG_2524_zpsb8ef8411.jpg

IMG_2528_zps71c2d1cb.jpg

Panthera Pardus

Thanks Safaridude

Panthera Pardus

Auchterlonie waterhole is always worth a visit early in the morning when staying at Kieliekrankie. All the big cats frequent the waterhole. We found this male cheetah there last December and he must have just killed the steenbok

The sun had not appeared from behind the dunes

IMG_0539_zps18179755.jpg

IMG_0600_zps60a8eb1b.jpg

IMG_2081_zps36c31502.jpg

When the sun rose above the dune we had the golden light and watched as the cheetah finish off the steenbok

IMG_0639_zpse8772faf.jpg

IMG_0634_zps78b14a2a.jpg

IMG_0629_zps8119bdfc.jpg

IMG_2113_zpse8e97959.jpg

IMG_0623_zpsc83c30a6.jpg

Before getting up and disappearing over the dunes

IMG_0680_zps9ed3cb10.jpg

IMG_0715_zps3ee63b19.jpg

africapurohit

That last cheetah photo is just perfect!

Looks like he had the steenbok all to himself and you had him all to yourself :-)

Ever more comprehensive and every page is a winner. This is turning into something very, very special. I really hope you are enjoying sharing this as I'd like you to continue until every navigable spot is covered and every creature and landscape photographed from at least three angles...... keep posting those landscapes by the way; I like them as much as the animals.

Panthera Pardus

@@africapurohit, everything just fell into place - the landscape, the pose and the light.

@@johnkok - there were two Black Backed Jackals but good thing they did not drive the cheetah away

@@pault - the bad news: thi is coming to an end. The good news: We will be in the KTP for 15 days from 27 July.

Panthera Pardus

Alongside the Auchterlonie Picnic Side is a Museum an old fieldstone farmhouse with displays on the park's history.

IMG_1443_zpscf080a33.jpg

IMG_1447_zpsd469396b.jpg

Driving South, Kamfersboom is another waterhole worth stopping at. Spotted Hyena den in the area and there is a pride of lions too. We have seen interaction between the two on a few occasions.

Pictures from last year

IMG_0742_zps478f898a.jpg

IMG_0746_zps5abf9d8e.jpg

And these from two years ago

The hyena were near the waterhole and a lioness needed a drink and they thought about harassing her

IMG_5841_zps21b8f52e.jpg

http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/sjinnah/media/Lioness_SpottedHyena.mp4.html

But he was not far behind, and it just needed a flick of the tail to keep the spotties at bay

IMG_58592_zps0fb42cf0.jpg

http://s1136.photobucket.com/user/sjinnah/media/Lion_SpottedHyena.mp4.html

She got her drink

IMG_4165_zps967b0032.jpg

IMG_4233_zps8b9a8b05.jpg

IMG_4235_zps987be4e5.jpg

:unsure: Hmmm, problem, don't want to get my feet wet

IMG_4248_zps1a36e51c.jpg

No problem

IMG_4249_zpsee9a7487.jpg

IMG_4250_zps83e5842e.jpg

IMG_5923_zps5de00df1.jpg

And off they go

IMG_5925_zps2bf0c824.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Just caught up with the last couple of installments ......... awesome report continued!!!!!

Wow what a fantastic report of such a special place, your photos are really wonderful. Been there in 2008 & will be there again in 2 months also visiting the Botswana side including Mabuasehube. Seeing all these wonderful pictures made me very, very impatient to go & brought back so many wonderful memories, especially of Urikaruus. I will never forget Urikaruus - one night it was very cold & a genet decided to sleep at our feet in the bed!!! Unfortunately it got spooked when it noticed that I had noticed its presence & disappeared like a ghost, but not before running over my boyfriend's face :-)

Thank you for taking the time to share this!

Wow - what a prime spot for those photos of the lions, and then you got those envy-inducing leaping lioness shots. Simply wonderful.

I will never forget Urikaruus - one night it was very cold & a genet decided to sleep at our feet in the bed!!! Unfortunately it got spooked when it noticed that I had noticed its presence & disappeared like a ghost, but not before running over my boyfriend's face :-)

Amazing. How on earth did it get inside? Good thing it was not a cold leopard :-)

Wow what a fantastic report of such a special place, your photos are really wonderful. Been there in 2008 & will be there again in 2 months also visiting the Botswana side including Mabuasehube. Seeing all these wonderful pictures made me very, very impatient to go & brought back so many wonderful memories, especially of Urikaruus. I will never forget Urikaruus - one night it was very cold & a genet decided to sleep at our feet in the bed!!! Unfortunately it got spooked when it noticed that I had noticed its presence & disappeared like a ghost, but not before running over my boyfriend's face :-)

What month was that?

penolva : it was mid July.

Johnkok : I wish I knew! But I clearly remember my boyfriend carefully sealing everywhere in case of snakes while I was giggling at the futility of it - it was his first visit to Africa. the genet had stolen some fruits from us maybe 30 mins before, I guess it took a liking to us.

Panthera Pardus

@@cheetah80 - when are you in the KTP. We are there from 27 July - 09 August. We may just meet up.

When you travelling south from Auchterlonie, the riverbed is to the left and the calcrete cliffs on the right. There is life on the cliffs so don't ignore them. Our only sighting of a porcupine during daylight (saw some on a night drive in Kruger)

S2295_zpsa0191c02.jpg

Research (by University of Pretorai) has shown that the Kalahari lion makes a lot more kills than lions in the Kruger although a lot of the kills are smaller animals like sring hares, bat eared foxes and porcupines. Porcupines make up about a quarter of their prey and it is not unsusual to see something like this

IMG_2285_zps3f88f560.jpg

IMG_2290_zps76642936.jpg

You may just see a caracal on the ridge

KTP09sharifa635_zps9db7b6fd.jpg

And spotted Eagles Owls nest in the caves

CB7A6726_zpsf5ad7392.jpg

Friends of ours saw a leopard raid a nest and eat a chick

Look also in the trees

IMG_9963_zpsf3174dcc.jpg

IMG_9965_zps2084f836.jpg

IMG_9962_zps378ef28a.jpg

Sprinboks favour the ridge side to give birth