The Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (KTP)

Panthera Pardus

@Panthera Pardus here is our schedule, our paths might overlap :)

21 & 22 July: Rooiputs

23,24,25 July: Kalahari Tented Camp

26th July: Nossob

27 & 28 July: Polentswa

29th July: Mabuasehube - Matopi 1

30 & 31 July: Mabuasehube - Mpaya

1 & 2 August: Mabuasehube - Khiding

Wow porcupine during the day?! Amazing!

Panthera Pardus

@@cheetah80, we will miss each other - have a super trip.

So we come to the end of this trip. We have not had much luck at Munro, Houmoed and Samevloeiing waterholes although others have had some great sightings there. The KTP has become a firm favourite with us. What is the lure of this place, what makes us keep going back. It is cheap and it is self drive. It is relatively uncrowded and you can spend as much time at a sighting as you want.

On reflection

IMG_2576_zps3c937957.jpg

It is the beautiful sunrises

IMG_2634_zps2c72b4b5.jpg

IMG_0293_zps59651dc9.jpg

The antelopes and that alluring red sand

IMG_9763_zpsbfca6095.jpg

IMG_2208_zpsb2ba8456.jpg

The little things................................................

CB7A6463_zps7c693fc4.jpg

CB7A6300_zps616cf0e9.jpg

IMG_2453_zpsb78358d3.jpg

057_zps7940da0f.jpg

....................................that brings a smile to the face

IMG_9675_zpsa8f57b24.jpg

The raptors and other birds

IMG_5231_zpsd48c9f23.jpg

IMG_2006_zpsb3af1e64.jpg

IMG_0298_zpsfe5226bb.jpg

the big cats

IMG_9485_zpsf2edf314.jpg

IMG_1051_zpsab81143f.jpg

CB7A6796_zps58b2f09d.jpg

and the glorious sunsets

IMG_2717_zps9f4cb2b8.jpg

IMG_2623_zpsf0c1caae.jpg

Thank you for all the kind comments and see you shortly in the next Park ;)

@@Panthera Pardus An absolutely wonderful report! I enjoyed every word and your photos are superb.

What is the animal between the wildcat and the honey badger?

Panthera Pardus

Thank yo @@Pennyanne. It is a yellow mongoose

africapurohit

@@Panthera Pardus I have a documentary called "Kalahari Supercat" that focusses on a female leopard named "Montrose". I noticed one of the waterholes in your report named Montrose - is this related to the female leopard?

I always assumed this documentary was filmed in Central Kalahari, but lots of the footage resembles the colours and landscapes of PP's photos.

Either way, "Kalahari Supercat" is a great showcase for the KTP with some fantastic aerial shots and good footage of many of the animals found there.

Panthera Pardus

@@africapurohit, I remember that doccie and as far as I know it was filmed in the Auob Riverbed.

Excellent, thank you for all the effort put into this report.

Looking forward to Part 2 ;)

Some very, very nice shots at the end there. Mmmmmmmmm.

michael-ibk

@@Panthera Pardus

Thank you again for this report, just wonderful, and I´m sure I will read through all of it again many times. Beware, though, anybody here planning to go to Kgalagadi in the future, will undoubtedly pester you for advice now. I know I will. :P

Panthera Pardus

@@pault - will be in KTP from 27 July for 2 weeks. Our first time in Winter - will tell you all about it :)

@@michael-ibk - now worries. Will be a pleasure to be able to assist.

• 3 weeks later...
Africalover

Panthera Pardus

Like a lot of other ST members, you have written a fantastic tripreport. Just wanted to add, that when i visited this magical place last year, i also went to Mabuasehube. Travelling via Matopi. It lies, aprox 100-150 kmt.as far as i remember east, north/east of nossob. In my opinion, it is just as magical as the Nossob- Auop-riverbed. With all the pans, and a lot of wildlife, lion, leopard, cheetah, oryx, eland, springbok, ect. We hardly met other people, and were alone on most sightings.

Thanks for bringing back memories

Michael

Reread the whole thing from scratch and so inspired, PP. You and Sharifa have added immeasurably to ST with both these reports. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge and memories with us.

Sangeeta

BoyMeetsBush

@@Panthera Pardus - Thanks a lot for starting this thread. We have booked the following camps in KTP for December 2013. We had to cancel a similar (but longer) itinerary a few years ago and had always wanted to visit KTP since then. I hope you won't mind if I get back to you and Sharifa with more specific questions as we start planning this trip. I am sure, between you two and @@ice, I will get the best advise.

You are right, I did call to book on the day the bookings opened :)

BTW - I have read yours and Sharifa's reports on SANParks forum with interest and they have been very helpful in planning our KNP trip. We came back just 2 weeks ago. Matt - report coming soon :)

Our plan in KTP is - KK - 2 nights, Nossob - 1 night, Grootkolk - 2 nights, Nossob - 1 night. Not nearly enough but this will have to do for now.

We are also in KTP in dec what time you are there. We are in from dec 20 2013 to jan 4 2014 this is our annual trip to ktp we love KTP

I didn't even have any red sand in my toes and I want to go. Such diversity, even a brown hyena. To get a shot with both a brown hyena and a lion is really rare. Then it shows up with a jackal. Great birds, and those owls! This seems to be an ideal environment, at least around the waterholes, for honey badgers. Wonderful cheetah shots too from the secretary bird to the fast pursuit.

I saw that you liked November as a month to visit.

Edited by Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn I think these were spotted hyena with the lions.

Thanks PP for such a comprehensive report,great place ,time to revisit .

@@Atravelynn I think these were spotted hyena with the lions.

I was so impressed with that sighting that I think I was seeing brown hyena everywhere. Maybe that wasn't a brown hyena in my bathtub either, then.

Panthera Pardus

@@Atravelynn - November is wonderful in that it is quiet with respect to number of tourists. It can get very hot though. In excatly a months time we will be doing our first Winter Trip to the KTP.

Atravelynn

@@Atravelynn - November is wonderful in that it is quiet with respect to number of tourists. It can get very hot though. In excatly a months time we will be doing our first Winter Trip to the KTP.

I'll stay tuned. Thank you.

• 1 month later...
Panthera Pardus

The Kgalagadi in winter (June, July, August) is bitterly cold. We had most days starting below zero. One day started at -8 °C. Sightings were few and far between compared to the warmer months. Talking to fellow tourists and Park Staff this was the general experience. The animals tend to move from the riverbeds to the dunes at night in winter as the dunes are warmer. We found the herbivores coming down to the riverbeds from about 9.00am onwards. We had to drive around quite a bit to find predators.

We still did get some very good sightings and one exceptional one. I will give a day by day account and recommend that if you are planning a trip to the KTP do it between September and May. I also strongly recommend that you include Grootkolk and Urikaruus on your itinerary.

Our itinerary was:

27 July – Twee Rivieren

28/29 July - Kieliekranakie

30 July to 01 August – Urikaruus

02/03/04 August – Nossob

05//06/07 August – Grootkolk

08/09 August – Kalahari Tented Camp

IMG_3284_zpsef8029fe.jpg

I will give a day by day account

Really looking forward to it. :)

Panthera Pardus

28 July 2013

The temperature for the day was -5 to 16 °C. The day only starts at 7.30am in July as compared to 5.30am in December. We made our way from Twee Rivieren to Kij Kij. It was very quiet. We saw some ostrich on the lower dune road

IMG_6561_zps86d9cdee.jpg

We were too early to check in at Kieliekrankie so went south on the Auob River and saw some wildebeest and springboks near Kamfersboom waterhole

IMG_6579_zps3f175f94.jpg

IMG_4097_zpsa8a9fb96.jpg

3km further south we saw a lone lioness (possibly pregnant) walking towards the waterhole

CB7A0735_zpsbc7833d7.jpg

Her arrival scattered the herds

CB7A0773_zps639f082a.jpg

But she was only after a drink, not a meal

IMG_3335_zpsebd8931e.jpg

CB7A0756_zps8312106c.jpg

and disappeared into the dunes after her drink

CB7A0772_zps54af0a02.jpg

Panthera Pardus

29 July 2013

Another -5 °C start to the day. The highlights for today, all seen between houmoed and gembokplein waterholes were:

Spotted hyena

IMG_6800_zps2235b4c5.jpg

Rock Kestrel

CB7A0806_zps505153f0.jpg

Lazy Lion

IMG_6933_zps3e0a6c66.jpg

Pygmy Falcon

IMG_6943_zps54887ceb.jpg

Pair of Martial Eagles that were building a nest

IMG_6905_zps1b283e81.jpg

CB7A1188_zps33a2a1fe.jpg

CB7A1186_zps54756ff9.jpg

Panthera Pardus

30 July 2013

The temperature for today started at a freezing -5° C but did get up to a pleasant 26 by the afternoon.

We found these Meerkats catching the early morning sun :)

IMG_4101_zpsf843b52e.jpg

IMG_4104_zps140cf6b2.jpg

CB7A0819_zps59dc6135.jpg

A Tawny Eagle

IMG_6967_zps7d6801be.jpg

At 13 borehole we found Seleka - the young leopard. We first saw her in November 2012 when she was about 7-8 months old - below is the link for those photos

http://safaritalk.net/topic/10137-show-us-your-babies/page-4#entry96870

She is growing up to be a fine young lady and now venturing out on her own

CB7A0985_zps8b88956a.jpg

CB7A0988_zps3bf4591c.jpg

IMG_7138_zps4e9e98d7.jpg

IMG_7273_zpse0687b5c.jpg

Back at Urikaruus camp, some kudu visited the waterhole

IMG_7198_zps9e4de6cb.jpg

IMG_7203_zps49073ff9.jpg

and a rock kestrel

CB7A1086_zps6e07400f.jpg

and black backe jackal

IMG_7157_zps0a130a97.jpg

Panthera Pardus

31 July 2013

The temperature for today was 0° C and peaking at 25.

Highlights were a Red necked Falcon

CB7A1108_zpsf87ec96a.jpg

A lilac brested roller that caught and ate a scorpion

CB7A1118_zpsc7ec98d4.jpg

CB7A1133_zpsf68cdef4.jpg

Yellow Mongoose

IMG_4110_zps6ff365a6.jpg

A sleepy Cape Fox

CB7A1173_zpsd3f7523e.jpg

Giraffe at the Urikaruus Camp Waterhole. In September 1990, 18 giraffe from Etosha National Park were relocated to the KTP and kept in a boma in the Mata Mata area for eight years. The three bulls and five cows were released into the Park in 1998. Since then the population has been supplemented by an addition of two sub-adult bulls from Vaalbos National Park in July 2003. They too were originally from Etosha. They have adapted very well to the Kalahari habitat and feed mainly on the Arcacia species, such as the Black Thorn and Grey Camelthorn. This is a success story as we had 17 vist us at the Urikaruus waterhole and saw a large group also as far south as Rooibrak.

IMG_7452_zps9c8ef1da.jpg

IMG_7458_zpsebc67e13.jpg

The story continues into 2013. Some fresh Fantastic.... even if there were fewer animals overall. Love every post as always.