Kruger: Images and memories

Sharifa

@@Big_Dog That quote can be found in "South African Eden." If you haven't read it, it's pretty good. Provides a great history of the park.

Cheers @@Marks ! Will see if I can get it, have read his 'Wildlife in South Africa' and that was really interesting.

• 1 month later...

@@Sharifa I am reading the book "101 Kruger Tales" right now, and the first story sounded awfully familiar...comparing it with your photos, it definitely appears to be the same sighting. It is the "leopard that killed the cheetah that killed the impala." The photo even appears to be shot from the same perspective...is it by any chance your submission?

@@Marks, Jeff Gordon the author of "101 Kruger Tales" did approach us to submit our story for consideration and we did. I have not seen the book yet but I assume it will be our sighting.

• 2 weeks later...

@@Sharifa - just seen your goliath heron shots on the wild card blog - what a sighting!!

It was a awesome sighting @@Tdgraves and patience paid off.

What a fabulous photo retrospective of Kruger NP @@Sharifa! Thanks very much for sharing this with us! Your photos and writing make me feel like visiting Kruger NP. I visited Timbavati and Sabi Sand three months ago, but I guess Kruger proper is a bit different.

Hi @@Marks and @@Sharifa, just thought I would drop a quick note to clarify. The first story in the book, 'The Leopard that Killed the Cheetah that Killed the Impala' is indeed the self same sighting documented on the first page of this thread. Sharifa, along with several others who were there, very kindly submitted his account of the sighting for consideration for the book (there is an acknowledgement on page 329). I was then left with the gut-twistingly difficult task of choosing which account made for the most gripping reading. While all accounts had a heck of a lot to recommend them, in the end Brian Gardiner's account felt to be the most comprehensive, so that was used. I was also hugely fortunate to receive photos from a number of people who were at the sighting, and again, it boiled down to which photos worked the best on the printed page coupled with the best resolution. In the end, the photos used were a couple sent in by John Griffin. Whether or not I made the correct decision is open for debate! Looking again at @@Sharifa's photos, I would say that in terms of action, his photos are absolutely superb, and provide brilliant documentary evidence of this extraordinary sighting. We are all very lucky that he has chosen to share them on a forum like this where we can enjoy them at will! So thank you @@Sharifa. :)

PS. Hope you are enjoying the book, @@Marks.

@@jeffgordon Thanks for the clarification. It's a great book - you did an excellent job curating so many stories.

Aah, thank you so much for your kind words, @@Marks. So pleased you are enjoying it. Kruger is just bursting with good stories, so my job was an easy one! I can't even begin to imagine the wealth of stories that are out there, but haven't been aired yet...

• 1 month later...

What an amazing and thorough account of Kruger...excellent reading and simply stunning photos - thanks so much for sharing!!!

...I also have had the pleasure of visiting the Park since the early 70s - those early photos make me quite nostalgic! ... since moving to the UK in the early 1990s we continue to make our annual trip to Kruger in October but I also find it a little sad that few people stop to respectfully greet each other and have a little chat about sightings as we always use to do in the 'old days'...but I am still a Kruger addict!

My children may have grown up in the UK but their passion is Africa! I am pleased to say that since they were very young they have been happy to sit at a water hole for several hours to see what would unfold and have enjoyed impala or zebra sightings as much as the cats...and back at camp playing with the ant lions would keep them busy for hours - still does! They range from 24, 18, 16 and are still as excited about every trip as they were when they were very young.

As the park has modernised we have just had to make the best of it...another sign of the times are all the 'no alcohol' signs...such a shame that this was abused as it was always lovely to have a braai at a scenic picnic spot washed down with a cold beer..

We are super excited as we depart tomorrow for our annual stay in the Southern part of the Park and your report has been just the right read to heighten anticipation!! I would agree with you that Biyamiti is one of the best in the south - love that camp.

We have never stayed further north than past Satara (except for Private Lodges in Timbavati) ... so October 2015 we are heading North! Your insights have really helped with the planning and we are very excited to cover new territory!

Hope your trip in December 2014 is wonderful and can't wait to see your photos and read your travel report!

@@jeffgordon - 101 Kruger Tales was supposed to be my read in Kruger this year - but once I picked it up I couldn't stop reading it and I finished it in one sitting - what a wonderful idea to share all those incredible experiences - can't wait for the seque?l!!

Have downloaded South African Eden as my replacement holiday read and good to see it has received favourable reviews in this thread! :)

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you @@Shaka. Safe travels and enjoy your trip to Kruger and good luck with the sightings.