Tanzania mid-March. 70% Serengeti, 100% Sensational. Includes Daily Weather

Atravelynn

Atravelynn

I did not see any kills in Makao Plains, @@Sangeeta. My visit to see you was the first time I was there. Nice to know your party saw cheetah, which I recall was very high on the list.

Thanks for the encouraging words everybody. How about a virtual hug, whether acquaintances in real life or online. And after that, a round of salami for everyone. It's on me!

Wonderful, descriptive account with amazing pictures. My trip to Tanzania was in mid March and everything was green, few people in the Crater and only a little rain.

Atravelynn

@@Raelond, we travel circles around each other and may some day intersect!  @@ovenbird, Sometimes I practice my camera skills by trying to photograph squirrels. Black squirrels in our area are a rarity, but I've photographed a few of these prized creatures. They are about the size of a baby dik dik.

sml_gallery_108_360_12530.jpg

Atravelynn

I'm very interested in how things went further into the rainy season. Your findings may not apply to future years because weather is not constant but it's a start, especially in some of the out of the way locations.

I'm interested in that time for many reasons--fewer people, price breaks, dramatic skies, big herds hopefully.

Next is Brazil in Sept. Caratinga in Minas Gerais, Atlantic Forest, for muriquis, the wooly spider monkey plus Barranco Alto in Pantanal. Hoping Namibia works its way into the plans eventually.

On 7/4/2013 at 5:41 PM, Atravelynn said:

I'm very interested in how things went further into the rainy season. Your findings may not apply to future years because weather is not constant but it's a start, especially in some of the out of the way locations.

I'm interested in that time for many reasons--fewer people, price breaks, dramatic skies, big herds hopefully.

Next is Brazil in Sept. Caratinga in Minas Gerais, Atlantic Forest, for muriquis, the wooly spider monkey plus Barranco Alto in Pantanal. Hoping Namibia works its way into the plans eventually.

Hi Lyn, I got the camera yesterday and we leave in two weeks so busy learning how it works. Can you remember what mode or setting(s) you used to get the leopard cub pics? thanks Pen

Atravelynn

@penlova

I had the advantage of being able to use several settings on the leopard cubs in the tree because for much of the time they were stationary.

P setting - unless you make changes it acts like the Auto. It just allows you to change many things if you wish.

Touch the Middle FUNC SET button

Press the bottom of the dial to go to Single Shot-Continuous Shooting Auto Focus options.

Choose Continuous

I almost always had the continuous shoot on for every photo.

For some of the shots in the tree that were shaded I also did this:

Still in P setting

Press the top of the dial with the +/- and dial it up to +1/3 +2/3 even +1 1/3. I took some shots at various positive exposure composition settings because I had the luxury of time.

When zooming, I took some shots beyond 50, the max optical, for the leopard cubs in the tree. I never zoomed that high for other shots because the quality is so compromised. I used a monopod, further steadied with a bean bag for those shots.

Keep practicing!

Thanks Lynn will try out today on the horses in the fields, nearest thing to wild animals here! Got the monopod and bean bag ready. Will let you know how I get on after the self drive. Pen

@penlova

I had the advantage of being able to use several settings on the leopard cubs in the tree because for much of the time they were stationary.

P setting - unless you make changes it acts like the Auto. It just allows you to change many things if you wish.
Touch the Middle FUNC SET button
Press the bottom of the dial to go to Single Shot-Continuous Shooting Auto Focus options.
Choose Continuous
I almost always had the continuous shoot on for every photo.

For some of the shots in the tree that were shaded I also did this:
Still in P setting
Press the top of the dial with the +/- and dial it up to +1/3 +2/3 even +1 1/3. I took some shots at various positive exposure composition settings because I had the luxury of time.

When zooming, I took some shots beyond 50, the max optical, for the leopard cubs in the tree. I never zoomed that high for other shots because the quality is so compromised. I used a monopod, further steadied with a bean bag for those shots.

Keep practicing!

Atravelynn

Also try to get running horses, @penlova, which I know they prefer not to do most of the time. Or find other running, flying things. Birds on takeoff are a great subject and so are flittng squirrels. Even cars whizzing by are good practice. Nailing the movement shots is tricky. You can experiement between:

- the running guy on the dial, but within the running guy also hit FUNC SET to choose Continuous Shoot AF.

- SCN for scene on the dial, then within the SCN hit FUNC SET to choose HQ High Speed Burst HQ which shoots 10 frames per second.

I was not 100% sure of these two Canon SX50 HS features and their results so when the cheetahs started chasing the gazelle, I opted for my other camera where I was more comfortable shooting action shots.

I'll be practicing the above two options on my Canon for next time.

Edited by Atravelynn

Hi will try those settings. Got a problem with the RAW. Won't download to IPhoto or Adobe Photoshop. What did you use?

Got some amazing aircraft close up, horses with foals and macro of my garden roses. It's a great camera. Pen

Atravelynn

Sorry, I don't know about RAW.

Sorry it's CR2 on the Canon when you download. Maybe you just use Jpeg? Thanks

Super LEEDS

Great report, Atravelynn. Thanks for sharing.

And welcome to the SX club :D

I just use the simple minded jpeg, @@penolva.

Great report, Atravelynn. Thanks for sharing.

And welcome to the SX club :D

Thanks Super Leeds. I can only imagine the secret handshake for that club.

Once I learn about downloading in RAW and not jpegs with my Canon SX50 HS, I can join the RAW SX club. We might need a subforum for that!

Edited by Atravelynn

The RAW SX club? :P

:) :) now now girls don't get over excited lol !!! Pen

I just noticed the birdlist way back was from the wrong trip. I think that would make the sightings more more impressive if they were seen in Tanzania when they are Zambian birds. The correct list is here.

post-108-0-28932400-1374156754_thumb.jpg

med_gallery_108_859_235458.jpg

Edited by Atravelynn

I guess that little bird list blunder means I'll never receive a special invitation to join the Safaritalk Ornithological Society. :huh:

I'll have to be content with just reading the minutes should they be made public. :wacko:

Oh well.

Took me a while to get around to finishing this properly. It is quite photo heavy and wasn't downloading properly for me on the iPad while on the move. Fine at home though. I didn't realise there was still so much to come! Silly me.

I am sure it is coincidental but the part after my "pithy and pregnant with meaning" comment (I am not going to risk repeating what I really said) is fantastic. Love all of this Lynn but the bat-eared foxes and cheetahs are special. What a fantastic trip, and apart from a few incidents such as the people trying to herd gazelles towards the cheetahs :unsure: it seems to have been low on offensive behaviour. Pretty unbelievable you saw all that on a single trip. Definitely 100% sensational as promised. And you delivered with information again after that "pithy" part. Your shots show the camera to be working well in your hands. I have no idea what a 50x zoom really means, or whether a shot at 50x zoom is any better than a cropped 25x zoom shot but the results are very nice.

Sorry about over "liking" you. I stopped in the end but there are probably enough to cross the line from flattering to annoying.

@@pault, thank you so much for all the kind words. Guess our little spat or wrestling match or whatever it was is over. I don't even know who won. <_<

This news just in!

Guide George is now working for The Wild Source, owned by Bill Given in Colorado.

Eben Schoeman Signature Safaris is doing mostly flying trips and those don't offer much work for George. So George has found a new home.

Bill would appear to be cherry picking some good guides.