ALaska, June 2013

urologysteve

urologysteve

@@kitefarrago no offense at all. I appreciate the posting of pictures. Thanks for the kind words. Post as many as anybody wants to.

We saw Dall's Porpoise twice, but the pair riding our wake was a really neat interaction. Two of them kept shooting in and out of the front wake of the boat. The guides said it's like when we surf. The porpoises get a "push" from the boat splitting the water. They said the porpoises seem to like to play.

Thanks for the bird ID. I'm not a birder (yet?) and have not had time to research. Apparently we had quite a bird day. Including two types of puffins (hundreds), and 2 types of Coromers (repeatedly). The Red Face Coromer is apparently rather rare.

We did have a good interaction with a pod of about 10 Orcas. We were in a straight between two small islands and they swam from side to side of the boat. There were two babies in the pod. I have quite a few pictures, but only of dorsal fins.

We had a humpback do a full breach out of the water, but I couldn't get the camera ready quick enough. It was my fault and I regret it (also, my wife let me here about it :angry: ). The sea otters were quite active that day. One was breaking a clam on his belly with a rock. Another boat drifted too close and he disappeared. A little frustrating.

We had a fabulous weather day and I think it added to the great viewing. The last 7 hours was nothing but sunshine. It made from great viewing, especially at the glacier.

kitefarrago

Getting a breaching whale onto a photo you either have to be really lucky, or you have to find a serial offender. I've been fortunate, in that I've had humpback whales indulge in multiple breaches, which gives a much much better chance. The best area I've visited for this is the Southern part of Baja California. We had one memorable day where we had more breaches then we could keep track off by lunch time. A one-off breach is impossible, unless you happen to have your camera pointed at the right spot by pure ocincidence. I must agree, though, that photographing cetaceans becomes much more satisfying when one sees more of them!

urologysteve

@@kitefarrago I guess I need more opportunities to get the breaching whale. A good excuse to go back! I had been told, that California is actually a better place for the sheer number of whales.

Couple more pictures to add to the post.

This fox was wondering between bears.

post-25370-0-71114700-1371957392_thumb.jpg

Some orcas- but only the fins this time. There is a baby in the group.

post-25370-0-69920400-1371957512_thumb.jpg

This is bird creek, a stop along the Seward highway, south of Anchorage. My wife thought is was a beautiful spot to stop.

post-25370-0-77357300-1371957587_thumb.jpg

post-25370-0-08183000-1371957662_thumb.jpg

This is the exit glacier lodge in Seward since safarichik is staying there- you'll know what to look for :D

post-25370-0-21324600-1371957909_thumb.jpg

SafariChick

Ha ha thanks @@urologysteve - wow, that moose shot is crazy good! He looks like he's laughing - where was that, near Exit Glacier Lodge?

I was hoping to see your avatar in larger form, and there it was. Beautiful reflective scenery. You got the flying birds. Thanks for your candid and helpful comments. Milepost is a good suggestion.

I just love that squished up nose/muzzle thingie, with moose. They really look exactly like their cartoon drawings...

Agree, that is a fantastic moose shot! I saw one single moose in Yellowstone last year - Alaska seems much more promising.

urologysteve

A few more- I know everyone is getting bored. Thanks for the kind comments.

post-25370-0-77880000-1372119340_thumb.jpg

Nice Ptarmigan while we were hiking

post-25370-0-77830800-1372119367_thumb.jpg

Eagle outside of Seward

post-25370-0-31242900-1372119492_thumb.jpg

Another Otter eating on his back

post-25370-0-34322600-1372119538_thumb.jpg

This is always a good thing to read as you start your hike alone at 6am.

post-25370-0-75555500-1372119626_thumb.jpg

Nice puffin up close

urologysteve

Ha ha thanks @@urologysteve - wow, that moose shot is crazy good! He looks like he's laughing - where was that, near Exit Glacier Lodge?

That moose was just outside of Seward on the road up to the Exit Glacier. It was only about 1 mile up the road from the Exit Glacier Lodge. If you look closely, you will see some of the fur he is shaking off.

We also had a nice "Northern Exposure" moment with a moose on the road past the Exit Glacier lodge. He walked across the road like the opening scene of that TV show.

Couple of the black bear and brown bear sightings were around the Exit Glacier as well.

SafariChick

@@urologysteve I do not think anyone is getting bored - I'm certainly not! happy to see whatever you post, they're all good!

kitefarrago

I'm pretty sure your ptarmigan is a spruce grouse. Nice bird! I meant to ask: Did you see the King Eider on the Kenai Fjords cruise?

Andrea

Couldn't you just lift that close up puffin out of the water and give it a kiss?

Far from getting bored, we are enjoying your pics thoroughly!