Lewa safari camp and Kruger cheaper camps June/July 2013

COSMIC RHINO

Yes it is a 3 twin tent camp right next to Ingwe lodge it overlooks the predator channel, but is also surrounded by scrub so there is not a view as such. The owners of the lodge rented the plot to Tydon and they have agreement to traverse in Umkumbe concession. Guests can also wander the grounds of Ingwe provided that the owners are not at home. We relocated some toads from their swimming pool to to the nearby waterhole. There was a lot of game around that Ingwe lodge at times, variously a large herd of buffalo, bushbuck, Nyala, vervets (but all skittinsh, go alone if you want to see these), plus purple crested turacos, and a big troop of banded mongoose. As to the mud wallow, we did see it but it was all dried up, so even that is not a guarantee!

I assume Ingwe lodge is on Dudley block then? (the section containing private homes, north of Umkumbe)

By the way, guide Johan (ex Gomo Gomo, now at Shindzela) on Facebook yesterday;

"Great drive again. Saw big herd of Elephants. Lioness with her cubs and a Male Leopard. That's 4 Leopards in 4 days."

No that's not the impression I was given. I was told that Dudley block bordered the area we traversed along with sabi sabi. We were in umkumbe afaik.

@@Jochen

viewing in an open reserve can be variable depending on the animals who can wander in and out.

you like Elephant Plains because of it larger traversing area and finding the game viewing good , what is the traversing area? I am considering staying there next year.

No that's not the impression I was given. I was told that Dudley block bordered the area we traversed along with sabi sabi. We were in umkumbe afaik.

Yes, that is where you were driving.

But where is the camp? On Umkumbe as well?

@@Jochen

viewing in an open reserve can be variable depending on the animals who can wander in and out.

you like Elephant Plains because of it larger traversing area and finding the game viewing good , what is the traversing area? I am considering staying there next year.

Hey Andrew,

Traverse can be seen on this map;

http://www.sunsafaris.com/south-africa-map/kruger-park-map/sabi-sands-map/

They share with Simbambili and Arathusa. Plus they may drive on uncommercialized plots south and east of them.

Swahili for 2 lions? 8-)

Edited by Super LEEDS

Yes, that is where you were driving.

But where is the camp? On Umkumbe as well?

Yes, afaik it is located on umkumbe plot. As I have said it is litterally just around the corner from umkumbe lodge. Next to Ingwe lodge which overlooks the waterhole at what I think is called first clearing. The camp overlooks the drainage ditch that you can drive along - they call it a predator channel as cats can use it without being seen by the game. If you drive out of the camp and turn left you come to umkumbe lodge.

@@Jochen Thanks

looks good ,their ranger reports have lots of elephant,lion,leopars,buffalos sitings, although not much mention of rhinos

if you go for a suite instead of a roundaval, you get a lounge room and a viewinfg deck as well.

not sure if the extra price is worth it, I will probably be at the waterhole between drives and viewing from there.

Andrew,

They do not mention rhino anymore because of the poaching.

Idem with sightings; they do not share them over the radio anymore. Not even by SMS.

The only way to get info about a rhino sighting from someone else is when you pass them and exchange a few words.

Thanks @@Jochen and Kitty

Elephant plains looks good on your comments, TR,, website game ranger reports, and trip adviser reviews which go into game viewing in good detail.

I feel truely alive when I am in areas which are truely natural and are not dominated by huamity and their inteference with the cosmic order of things. There is an added appeal in Africa as that is where humanity emerged, there is a feel of your insignifance when compared with the grand forces of life, some of whom could destroy us if we get it wrong or do something wrong.

The great array of life and life processes I am around is what makes me truely alive.

I am overwhealmed by this and the logistics of the travel are all details.

@@Jochen @@COSMIC RHINO Have you noticed a North/South divide on Jackal sightings? My experience is that I have had good BBJ sightings in Balule (though mangy specimens), and along the Orpen road to Satara but more SSJ sightings around Lower Sabie and in Umkumbe. I asked and they said they don't get BBJ in Umkumbe but they do see SSJ occasionally and soon after we came upon a pair of SSJs! :)

jackals are someone who don't appear to be in great numers in the areas I have gone to, so I have not noticed regional differences.

I am not sure what your abbreviations BBJ and SSJ mean.

BBJ Black Backed Jackal

SSJ Side striped Jackal. :)

Actually, I never paid attention to that, KK23UK.

But on Sabi Sabi we saw both.

http://www.astrosociety.org/edu/astro/act2/H2_Cosmic_Calendar.pdf

humanity is just a vert recent addition to the totality of life, many of them try to remove themselves from everyone else. well we are all one creation , the universe ,all living elemens are subjects not, eveyone living is who, the ony things that should be called what are artificial human industry,craft creations ,buildings etc. it is wonderfull to be in the realm of the living, not amongst human domination. I am concerned by the people around me who talk about machines and appliances as dying (well this can't happen as life was never present ) and talk about movies and TV being real life.

well it is back to hoedspruit, then Johannesgurg. In the process of checking the hand luggage I briefly mislaid my camera complete with all the SD cards, well this will not happen again , I have since swn and glued coloured fabrics onto the camera bag, black things are not always easy to notice where they are .

I got to ORITA in good time and got some traditional rhino and elephant han embrodiary items , and some wildlife tshirts. things are getting busy at the airport , if you want to do your main shopping at international departures check in well in advance , much earlier than required , and the tshirt selection is better at the inter african gates below ,but there was no time to go back there.

meeting up with my family after my return I honestly can't make my domestic life, the central core of my existance, and game of throwns is a whole lot of nonesense not to be watched or read, not one page, not one minute of the series.

my brother lives in Singapore , he wants me to go to sth africa via that air route, I can't bring myself to it, one minute in the place would make me feel sick given .the state of the ivory trade.

Trying something new

Edited by COSMIC RHINO

trying to post a PDF photo having problems with internet explorer 2003

very interesting how elephant plains which has a whole lot of wildlife on show is close to pungwe buch camp which is more of a bush experience with some good wildlife viewing but not in great numbers

NKAMBENI TENTED LODGE AT KRUGER NATIONAL PARK

This is a place where I have not stayed but I wish to warn people about on the basis of the experiece of the ranger at Umkumbe lodge.

The rooms are ok, but nothing elaborate.

If you are self driving and doing your own game drives it is ok.

otherwise it is a disaster. nearly all the guests are french and Germans who come there for a day and a night as part of a package tour cape to swaziland, each group has 1 accompanying guide who can't cover 30 people. On game drives they make kissing sopunds on mass and wave at the animals to bring them closer , they want to stop for a few photos , then move on quickly. the guides tell them almost nothing as they want to rush around. they put in extra money to a kitty for more wine and beet on the sundowners.

The game viewing is self drive or join the big french/german group and that is that. It is not possible to do anything else.

THe ranger from Umkumbe was there on a work placement after training, started on ZAR 2000 per month, then it was reduced to ZAR 500 almost nothing. It was necessary to wash the vehicle every night ,then she got sacked for dring 5 km/hour over the limit in the parking lot and moved on.

Thanks for the warning. One to avoid for sure.

CR, sorry to hear that it was crowded and it sounds a bit chaotic. I hope that you had some good sightings. As a general rule I try and avoid larger camps that may cater to big tour groups passing through as the hub-bub can spoil the experience. Although there is one larger camp outside the mara triangle that I favor and only try to visit in non-peak times.

@@PT123 This latest place I have not been to myself it is a warning fronm the guide.

well the public areas of Kruger can be crowded and I avoid crowds

the worst of it was a case with a woman who did nor take a comfort break at the sundowners, was told that thwre was no stopping when it was dark, so stood up in the vehicle and was going to do something, so the vehicle was stopped , she got of at the back and was offended when the guide stood over her with the gun.

Yes the crowds can be problematic, but that is the trade off against the lower cost of self drive or longer game drives that you can do in KNP vs the greater Kruger conservancies. Myself, I like the combination of Kruger park plus one of the adjoining reserves.