Lions in our campsite shower in Mabuasehube

cheetah80

Since I am going to be on a mobile expedition next month, these photos gave me an OMG moment...in addition, a "What the HeLL am I doing moment?" ( Like @Superleeds - what about the implications?? agghh)

A bit of anxiety, nonetheless, but I am hoping if lions come into camp I will not be face to face. At least it has scared me into not being too complacent - realizing anything can happen! Might have to send this link to our guide.

Wish me luck. I had nightmares last night!

Please do not worry too much - if you stick by a car or a tent you will be fine, especially with an experienced guide. It is only when you stray away, especially by yourself - or fall asleep by yourself by a fire that they might be trouble. When the lions arrived we were out of the cars (but close to them). The lions path was just perhaps 5 metres or so away from us - they ignored us completely. Over the years we had all sorts of animals in camp and except for scared elephants I never felt threatened. I must stress we are still very very cautious whenever we are camping out in these unfenced campsites. Remember none of the predators in these parks actively hunt humans - but they are opportunistic. Remove the opportunity and you are relatively safe.

Part of the reason we posted this video is to remind people not to be complacent - we have seen our fair share of people doing reckless stuff. But I think mostly it shows that you can share space with these beautiful creatures.

By the way, perhaps one thing I should mention since it is obvious I used flash for the photos (turned down the power and really tried my best not to flash when they were looking) - Never, ever use flash to take a photo of an elephant, or shine a light in its face! They get extremely upset. I don't know this from first hand experience but I was told by different sources.

To be sure I am not going anywhere by myself; my guide will be happy to be rid of me hovering about after a week!

I think for sure it helped to remind all of us what is really out there in the bush besides photo ops; and the pics and video have much more impact than any written word would ever. I am not at the stage, nor would I ever be to drive and camp myself. Not happening, but glad others enjoy it!

Thanks for sharing.....I sent the link to our guide in TZ for our mobile in Ruaha. Want him very prepared! very....

I thought they were in Zambia too?

I thought they were in Zambia too?

Haven't made it there yet. Maybe next season!

I feel fortunate to have gone to Africa last November and now in Sept. Lke I won a lottery or something :)

I know there was a book on the Tsavo lions...if I see one in Ruaha- well, hopefully I can take a pic and get the hell outta there. At least to begin and end a TR :P

Lions in the shower. Must have been preparing for a night on the town.

What an experience it must have been

Quite a story here! And excellent photography.

Many thanks for sharing!

The shower activity with brown hyena of all creatures, followed by lion, is very exciting! Your flash must was certainly up to the task of recording all this. Those were well illuminated shots!

Wow what an experience! I'm curious - did you use the shower the next morning?

The shower activity with brown hyena of all creatures, followed by lion, is very exciting! Your flash must was certainly up to the task of recording all this. Those were well illuminated shots!

I have never owned a flash in my life but this time I had a nagging feeling to get one before the trip :-) and I got the most powerful Canon Speedlite I could find. But I have to say at that range I did turn down the power and used high ISO as I was afraid of hurting their eyes (I tried not to flash when they were looking, though I failed a couple of times) Lightroom did the rest of the magic!

Wow what an experience! I'm curious - did you use the shower the next morning?

I had actually showered a couple of hours before their visit ... during full daylight though. After they visited I didn't really want to, mostly because they had "sprayed" a bit around :)

For some reason It didn't occur to me that this thread would be about the OP's own experiences. And I certainly didn't expect a Brown Hyena in the shower too!!!!! I've heard about this of course, and even been taken to see the tracks around campsite showers, but this is amazing. I am sure they are wise enough to know when they can visit for a drink and when not, but it is certainly a reminder not to take things for granted after dark. :- )

Thanks for this post - great!

Phew I was breathless reading that!

• 5 months later...

Did you ask them to hurry up with the shower gel and pass the towels?

• 2 weeks later...

I was more busy letting them know they should NOT pee and spray around in the shower ... oh, such naughtiness, thinking everything is theirs to own!! :D

And all I have in my shower is Silverfish...

Love the brown hyaena too!