Kenya's Mara Plains Camp in the off-season and high season

safariguy

Lovely images, Andy. Thanks for doing this. :)

Thanks, Sangeeta.

Just as an aside, I haven't been active in posting my own trip reports, my own photographs or much of anything about the trips that I am on. The main reason is that I am super sensitive to my actions being portrayed as using Safaritalk as a way of marketing and selling my safaris. Since this is my first post of sharing these experiences, please tell me if I am ever coming close to crossing that line.

Beautiful, evocative images. To answer your question, from my perspective, there is no connection between posting your images/ reports and marketing your photographic safaris

Separately I am curious as to the practical advantages of using medium format for safari pictures compared to a 36 mp D800E image - perhaps when blown up to billboard size there is a noticeable difference? Is IQ at all better?

Separately I am curious as to the practical advantages of using medium format for safari pictures compared to a 36 mp D800E image - perhaps when blown up to billboard size there is a noticeable difference? Is IQ at all better?

I am struggling with this right now. The Phase One camera system has so many drawbacks, but the one thing it delivers is a TON of detail for the print sizes that I prefer to sell. I like to print up to 30x40" (or 30x45", depending on the aspect ratio that works) and the D800E does a great job. The Phase One does do a better job with these sizes, however I do miss many shots and many shots don't work due to the shorter focal lengths, lack of decent autofocus and lack of ample light.

You'll know if you ever cross the line ;) As @@Atravelynn once found out...

When you reduced her post count to zero?!?

Andy, I think the Phase One is great for landscapes but would frustrate the hell out of me on a wildlife trip. Given your restrictions due to driving however, perhaps it doesn't matter so much. My impression is that it can be a love/hate relationship and I think I'd be driven mad by the ISO. I took the 1DX/200-400-1.4 on this last safari and am looking forward to seeing the quality of the images at large sizes ( provided I got them in focus! :o )

That's true, Twaffle, it does drive me nuts. There is a HUGE difference between 16, 18, 21, 22, 24mp files and 60mp files. The Nikon D800 is the only camera that comes close, and close it does come.

In the end it's all a tradeoff, and I don't use the medium format equipment as much for wildlife as I do for landscapes.

The flying cheetah made my day - something special. Very nice post.

Re. your aside I've no doubt it is a bit tricky but if you are sharing your own, personal passion for wildlife, Africa or photography I'm pretty sure you can relax here. Post from that perspective and it'll show right through (see the questions - that's the content we want :P).

When you reduced her post count to zero?!?

:)

You did this because she was marketing herself? The "technical error" was a cover story, then. Oh, the shame!

That's true, Twaffle, it does drive me nuts. There is a HUGE difference between 16, 18, 21, 22, 24mp files and 60mp files. The Nikon D800 is the only camera that comes close, and close it does come.

In the end it's all a tradeoff, and I don't use the medium format equipment as much for wildlife as I do for landscapes.

Good old medium format film camera and an Imacon/Hasselblad scanner?

Thanks for taking the time to post these images Andy. I had lusted after your May/June trip to Mara Plains and repeatedly looked at the details as if the dates would somehow miraculously change. I was in a rookery in St. Augustine, FL and ran into Chas Glatzer totally unaware until later that he was the other pro doing that photographic safari with you. The world gets smaller and smaller it seems.

You did this because she was marketing herself?

No, not at all. It was a bit of fun. (Her old post count was quickly reinstated.) Oh how we laughed ;)

PCNW, indeed it is a small world. Chas and I have friends for years and we decided it was about time to run some safaris together. Needless to say we had a great time and measured the long trip by the number of belly laughs we had.

Andy I know what you mean, my daughter and I went to the Biltmore Inn in NC to spend two days working with Chas and our time was also measured by the number of belly laughs.

Phew...superb shots, and interesting to hear about your take on the medium format.

Small world here, Andy....the two gentlemen in your pictures (Bill and ?) - I met them in 2010 in Katmai where they were in a group lead by Chas! Shared some good laughs and stories with him there...such an energetic and fun guy!

Many thanks for sharing!

Shreyas

Image #1 of the playing cheetah cubs is exquisite. It's hard to imagine a MF camera being able to deliver this, especially if keeping down to ISO200 - not sure what the shutter speeds on the Phase One gets up to. Not to mention the AF and the multi-frames I would need to nail this mid-jump action. Good thing you had your non MF camera with you at the time.

I suppose with your multi-day exposures (safari camp for extended periods) you can afford to miss a few. I'd be in the loony bin in no time.

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos.