Seabird Get Together - Northumberland, UK - Spring 2014

Safari Cal

Great stuff John, you're very organised. I phoned just before 3pm and missed the receptionist by a few minutes... I'll try again tomorrow morning.

Thats me booked up too from the Fri for 3 nights.

All we need now is some good weather. I was almost flooded out last night on the Quayside in Newcastle, but thankfully, although I'm only a few hundred metres from the worst affected area it is slightly higher ground, phew!

As soon as others confirm I'll move on to booking the places on the boat trip, but there's no real pressure at the moment. Although I've never failed to get out travelling by myself, it may be different in a larger group! Best to aim for the end of January to finalise details so we get what we want.

Excellent, @@Safari Cal.

I'd be in favour of hiring our own boat(s) if it is really that crowded on the others.

I'll make enquiries John and come back with a price based on 15 of us - I can always offer spaces out to other birders/photographers from the area if needs be,

Accommodation confirmed at the Olde Ship Inn. In 23 May, Out 26 May.

The countdown begins

africapurohit

@@Safari Cal let me know whether you are planning the 6-hour boat trip for the Saturday or Sunday? I'll have to try and negotiate leaving the kids with the wife. It's not going to be easy :unsure:.

Just got back from a Stag weekend in Amsterdam, so I haven't made much progress on this over the last few days. However, I spoke to Billy Shiel's widow before I left and she said it would be quite expensive to hire our own boat given the bank holiday timing; as it's one of their busiest periods.

I haven't had a chance to talk to young William yet though, Billy's son, who runs the business now. I'll hopefully catch him tomorrow and let everyone know.

@@africapurohit There is an option for you to come out on the early trip with everyone else and if your wife and children want to travel out on an afternoon boat we could then meet up with them on Inner Farne so they don't have to spend too long out there but get the chance to see the Seabird extravaganza? Then we can all travel back together. It'll be nice just to meet up for a drink, so please don't feel under any pressure to abandon your family or alter your existing plans, dip in when it suits you.

I think we should plan for the Saturday, but I'm flexible on which day we go out, what does everyone want to do? Also let me know how many spots you want me to book on the boat for each of you.

Confirmed so far (I think I have the numbers right):

@Safari Cal x 1

@@JohnR x 2

@@africapurohit x 1?

@@Soukous x 2

Can't wait for it to come round :D

Plenty of time left for anyone else that wants to join in :D

africapurohit

Thanks @@Safari Cal - I am planning some short boat trips for the boys but considering we're there for 7 days, let me see if I can sneak out for one day :D.

@@africapurohit If you need any ideas for other things to do in the area this link takes you to an online visitor guide.

http://www.northumberlandnationalpark.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0019/314560/NNP-Visitor-Guide-2013.pdf

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone,

I received this email from William about hiring our own boat:

Hello Calum,

Thank you for your email.

We will be running the Full-day birdwatching trip daily sailing from
Seahouses @ 9.30am.

My advice would be to join our scheduled trip on either day and reserve seats.

The cost is £30 per person.

If everyone can confirm this is ok I'll get the seats booked. We would pay at the booking hut in the harbour in the morning before we depart.

I will give this some thought when I get back from Spain! :D

Hi @@kittykat23uk, I meant to ask before, hows it looking for the mini Farnes gtg weekend? It would be great to add another name to the list.

Many thanks,

Calum

Hi Calum,

Please book seats for myself and Hanne.

Thanks

@@JohnR

Will do John

I'll confirm here once done.

Hi Cal,

Please book 2 seats for me and the good lady. I assume cucumber sandwiches and a pot of Earl Grey will be provided as standard

Will do. But as for the Early Grey and cucumber sandwiches haha, a flask of PG tips and some tinfoil wrapped bacon buttes might be the best I can muster :P

But there are no catering facilities on the Islands, we do have to carry a packed lunch and seeing as you more or less assumed responsibility for the menu I would be happy to pass over responsibility for its provision to you too. :P

@@wilddog Are you sure you can't make it? ;)

Will do. But as for the Early Grey and cucumber sandwiches haha, a flask of PG tips and some tinfoil wrapped bacon buttes might be the best I can muster :P

But there are no catering facilities on the Islands, we do have to carry a packed lunch and seeing as you more or less assumed responsibility for the menu I would be happy to pass over responsibility for its provision to you too. :P

"more or less assumed responsibility for the menu" ???????????????? :blink:

No problem Cal, happy to do it. Once the numbers are finalised I can start getting an indication of what people expect in their packed lunches. KitKat or Wagon Wheel, Baby Bel or DairyLea

Sorry, no, but I think it is such a nice idea to get members together in that way; doing what they love best with like minded companions. Looking forward to the TR and images. Obviously you have good organisational skills @@Safari Cal and the art of delegation (@@Soukous and the catering).

What? no caviar and champagne? ^_^

Sorry, no, but I think it is such a nice idea to get members together in that way; doing what they love best with like minded companions. Looking forward to the TR and images. Obviously you have good organisational skills @@Safari Cal and the art of delegation (@@Soukous and the catering).

What? no caviar and champagne? ^_^

caviar and champagne?

my dear lady I think you live in a different world to me :P

@@Soukous Well if you're not going to put the effort in... :P

go then, fire me! I'll take to tribunal. :D

go then, fire me! I'll take to tribunal. :D

Haha, goddammit you've called my bluff @@Soukous, I guess KitKat, Wagon Wheel and Baby Bel or DairyLea will have to do :P

Still pestering ian to see if he wants to go too. If not, would anyone have car space if I came up by train?