In search of rain: Kgalagadi, December 2013

Peter Connan

We'll at least I won't wake up at 3:30 am to catch the final post. Stunning photography and on your recommendation I've settled on the 500 to rent and try in May. Thank you Peter for a wonderful adventure.

Thanjs @@TonyQ, @@Game Warden, @@graceland and @@twaffle

Thanks @@Sangeeta. As everything, it has disadvantages, chief among which is the value (or rather, the lack thereof) of our money, but I wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

Thanks @@Treepol. The Kgalagadi actually gets quite a lot of rain, but it is not reliable, and because of the sand, most of the effects do not last long. We were very lucky.

Thanks Patsy. I hope you have a wonderful trip, and I am sure we will discuss it some more, but you really need to put the Kgalagadi on your bucket list. Have a good look at Rooiputs Lodge. We never went in, so I have no idea of the standard of the facilities, but it's magnificently sighted and they do have their own vehicles.

Thanks so much for having taken the time to post your magnificent trip report. I really enjoyed your amazing pictures. They are so crisp and you caught the light so beautifully. ?

I have much to learn about that. Looking forward to our first ever visit to KTP in September. When it is gray and dusty, I will think back of your pictures of greenery and puddles in the road! ????

Really enjoyed it. Some top pics - thanks for sharing.

Cheetah and tortoise, Bee eaters and butterfly. Exceptional combinations. The waterholes provided tremendous animal and bird action. Beautiful moon shots. I bet your wife is sorry she did not brave the heat.

Absolutely outstanding report, thank you for sharing!

'Visual feast' sums this trip report up very well! Great cheetah shots!

Thanks everybody, really appreciate your comments

@@KaliCA,I hope you have a wonderful trip in September. The advantage is that you can go evry month, as they are all different, with different but no less wonderful things to enjoy...

@@Atravelynn, I am not sure of that, but I do wish she had come along.

Just re-read part and caught up with the latest posts. What a great little trip.

Great TR Peter, thanks for sharing.

Sorry @@Game Warden, I'm a bit too retarded for that. Tried the other day and got nowhere...

• 2 months later...
Morkel Erasmus

Looks like you had a good trip @@Peter Connan! Some great photos, particularly the closeups. I've been to many places in Africa - and have to say the dawn and dusk light seems more magical in 2 places in particular - Kgalagadi and Mana Pools.

Looking forward to seeing if the kill happened...always good running into the Barnards as they are a magnet for action sightings ;)

I missed this!

Started reading to get more info on Kgalagadi, but stayed for the images. Man, you got the eye!

Peter Connan

Thankyou verymuch @@Morkel Erasmus. Unfortunately we had to head back to camp before the kill happened (if it did). We had quite far to go to get back in time. Hopefully I will one day get to see that elusive kill...

Thanks for the compliment @@Jochen

Double Dare

What a great report! How many places can go on the bucket list???

Peter Connan

Thanks @@Double Dare

Every place in Africa, at least four times each (every season)! :P

• 3 weeks later...

Your shots really show the upclose intensity of the Kgalagadi--insect eating insect, the emaciated lions, the hyena's spittle, the jackal's curled tongue, the winking owl. On the other end of the spectrum, those moon shoots are really good too.

How many days was your search for rain?

Peter Connan

Thanks for the complements @@Atravelynn.

We were there for 10 days.

SafariChick

Just saw this TR for the first time - spectacular photos! Definitely makes me want to add this to my ever-growing bucket list - and learn to take better photos too! Joining SafariTalk should come with a warning that it could be hazardous to your wallet!

madaboutcheetah

@@Peter Connan - What are your impressions of SA side vs Botswana side of the Kgalagadi? .......... in terms of the landscape, game viewing etc etc.,

Peter Connan

Thanks Safarichick

@@madaboutcheetah, In my mind the Botswana side has to be divided into two sections, the one being the three camps and one lodge situated on the Border/Nossob river, being Polentswa, Rooiputs and Two Rivers.

These offer access to virtually the whole south-african side, but with open camps and without gate queues. For me, camping in the SA camps is like being in two different environments, where during the day you are in a natural wonderland, but at night you are somehow tranported away to something that is a mixture between an army camp and a nursery school, with children laughing and playing. It has it's own enchantment, but in the Botswana camps you remain one with the bush the whole time, with barking geckos all around at night and the chance you will be held captive in your tent by a pride of sleepy lions. In fact at night you can get even closer to nature as you don't have the vehicle around you all the time, so you get the smells and sounds brought home more clearly. The locations of the camps are not terribly inspired though, with generally not exceptional views (although Polentswa may be considered an exception).

The game viewing on the riverbeds is fantastic, and probably un-matched anywhere else, but it is also the busiest section of the park. Probably a bit of a shock to the system of somebody who is used to guided safaris and private vehicles (I am not saying you are one of them), but far less busy than many of our other National Parks

The second section is what is known as Mabuasehube. The camps here are also open and un-fenced, and gate times seem not to even exist. The camps mostly situated with fabulous views over the pans, and in some respects it seems as if you never need to leave your camp. The area is also very quiet, and you almost never need to share a sighting. But you will probably have far less sightings, and those you do have arelikely to be at longer distances and of shorter duration as the animals are less used to human presence.

The two possible problems with the Botswana camps are the lack of facilities (which may put a dampener on your travelling companion's spirits) and the fact that you need to be a lot more carefull.

I guess you can see that I like them both. If photography is the main object, I would choose the three camps on the Nossob river. If solitude and getting close to nature is the intention, go to Mabua!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks a lot - great information!!!!

kittykat23uk

Fantastic report. I must get there at some point. Maybe we should have a safaritalk gtg at some point?