In search of rain: Kgalagadi, December 2013

Peter Connan

Peter Connan

My pleasure Madaboutcheetah

Thanks Kittykat, that would be cool!

• 1 month later...

Wonderful images and TR. So many good reports of Kgalagadi are popping up. Fast becoming a must-go place

Peter Connan

Thank you Johnkok

I just enjoyed this trip a 2nd time. Some really great photography here Peter.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Peter I have just joined SafariTalk and enjoyed your report a lot. Lots of great images and some sad stories. We stayed at Rooiputs No 4 on the 14 Dec 2013 and think that we were watching the same male lion that walked to the lodge before sunset. (Your first lion pic). Really sad about the lioness. We were heading back home and busy packing up the next morning when you left north towards Kij-Kij. You got some great cheetah sightings. Next time I hope to meet up and say hi to my namesake.

Cheers

Peter W

Edited by PRWinnan

Peter Connan

Welcome Peter, and sorry we missed you! This seems to be something that happens far too often.

Thanks for the compliments.

Peter Connan

Welcome Peter, and sorry we missed you! This seems to be something that happens far too often.

Thanks for the compliments.

@@Peter Connan I just read through your whole report. It's great! Beautiful photos. And the Kgalagadi is spectacular. Thanks for posting this.

• 2 months later...

I have just read whole report beginning to end and drooled over your photos. I am in the process of purchasing new camera gear and wonder if you would mind sharing details re your camera and lenses for the trip. Thanks!

Also just made it through your whole report. As everyone has said, it was sad to see the emaciated lioness, but you had many other sightings (i.e., cheetahs, wildcat) that must turn any negativity around!

Thanks @@Marks and @@SueBee.

Sue, I used a Nikon D7000 and Nikkor 500mm f4 lens for about 95% of my photos on this trip, sometimes with a 1.4 teleconverter. For backup I had a D80 with the old 80-400 AF-D lens.

I also took (and used for a couple of photos each) a Sigma 180mm f3.5 macro lens, a 24mm f2.8 (an old manual-focus lens), a 50mm f2 (also an old manual-focus lens) and a borrowed 12-24mm f4.

For support I used window-rests with sandbags, but have now gotten a gimbal head with molar bag, and it has a lot of advantages.

• 2 years later...

Hi @@Peter Connan - I just read through this report and loved it mate.

Super photography and great to do a trip like this with your Dad.

One day I will get to the Kgalagadi - it looks very special.

Peter Connan

Thank you very much @@Hads.

It was very fortunate that we did it when we did, as although i didn't know it then, it was to be our last trip fogether. He passed away in August 2014.

I will be going back very soon. Just a couple of days more than a month from today, i will be back there...

Hi @@Peter Connan, we surely have to cherish the time with our parents.

I am looking forward to your trip report already.

Edited by Hads

Nice that this report has been resurrected @@Peter Connan. You had some great sightings and a rewarding trip in spite of missing out on the Cheetah kill on your last day. Some great photos. I thoroughly enjoyed the read!

Peter Connan

Thank you @@Hads and @@Davesg