Tanzania, on a budget

Eagle Owl

FlyTraveler

I am also glad that you updated the report @@Eagle Owl! Enjoying the report very much, as well as your great sense of humor. For me this is also a good first hand source of information regarding budget camping safari in the Northern Parks of Tanzania. Looking forward to the next installment.

• 5 months later...

Hi Eagle Owl, I just wanted to drop you a line and to mention that I (other members of the forum, too, I would presume) am missing the continuation of this nice trip report. Hope that you are well. Cheers!

Me three - I just read the the entire report again. I love your writing style - and pics of course. #Eagle Owl...hoping you get a notification of your fans awaiting more.

I seriously would not have been able to hold my tongue if a guide is on the phone and texting. I hope to see at the end of your report how you dealt with his tip demands :rolleyes:

But great shots; and you and your girlfriend seemed to have a great time no matter. I guess she is a keeper :D

I am spending a sick day reading reports - never know where I may end up next with this great batch.

• 1 month later...

Can't wait to hear rest as I often get people talking about the cost of safari in Tanzania, some say you get what you pay for - can this be true? I've only travelled there using Leopard Tours through another agent and they were great. Others mentioned your monkey photos - most excellent indeed, but where is that beach, I want to be there, like right now!!!!!

Leopard tours.....noooooooooooo.....one finds something or follows local guide then its on the radio to the other cars and its goodbye to anything you are enjoying....

I have had many and not very good encounters with Leopard tour "drivers/guides" in Ndutu! I do speak from many different experiences over many years in that area. You find a big cat say and deduce that it is ready to hunt so give it room and a full field of view so no hindrance. Then a Leopard tours vehicle spots you and drives up at a rate of knots. He will spend a few minutes looking for the reason you are there...then its straight in front of you and as close as he can get.no regard for your view or what the animal is trying to do. And then you know he will be on the radio and minutes later the other seven cars arrive. They have very poor local knowledge and respect for other vehicles at sightings. As we use the lodges distinctive vehicle we often get followed. No problem in my eyes as I love to share any wildlife experience. But nine times out of ten when we spot and give room they will intrude. They seem to have no etiquette. To me,their "guides" are poorly trained and they hunt in packs!!! Just my personal view. But if we see their trucks we go in the direction of "away". I am sure they are just trying to impress their first time safari clientele and the tips they maybe rewarded with for " spotting" lion etc...but they must and should take account of other vehicles that have got there first and wait for their turn. We and many other safari guides at sightings tend to move on at a sighting to give others a better view after a few minutes. These are my and my Ndutu guides standards. We have had occasion to berate their drivers for their behaviour on many occasions along with the local rangers. Just my view but from first hand experience...

• 2 weeks later...

Can't wait to hear rest as I often get people talking about the cost of safari in Tanzania, some say you get what you pay for - can this be true? I've only travelled there using Leopard Tours through another agent and they were great. Others mentioned your monkey photos - most excellent indeed, but where is that beach, I want to be there, like right now!!!!!

Leopard tours.....noooooooooooo.....one finds something or follows local guide then its on the radio to the other cars and its goodbye to anything you are enjoying....

I think Leopard tours has the most drivers/vehicles of any company, so one "bad apple" is not indicative of them all, but I witnessed unbelievable behavior by a Leopard driver just before entering the airport. We presumed he was about to pick up clients, but cannot be certain. He was drunk and belligerent and exited his vehicle to attack other guides that he was unhappy with, and he brought his machete. Fortunately several men surrounded him and talked him down. He got back in the vehicle with his machete and sped off to the airport.

Two leopard, both within one frame is fantastic. That lion appears quite fierce, nice angle! Despite guide troubles, you prevailed!