Uganda and Rwanda - From the Archive: 2005 Gorillas, Chimps and more…

TonyQ

@@Atravelynn

Thank you - we have enjoyed the memories - and doing the report has reminded me of some of the "lesser memories" and how enjoyable those were

@@Kitsafari

Thank you - I think their eyes are special - you see an intelligent being looking at you, thinking about you - you feel contact. (some of this may be projecting but I think all of those things are there). Their intelligence is not human, but it is intelligence. Their emotions are not human, but they are emotions. I am glad you felt connected!

Edited by TonyQ

• 3 weeks later...

I’ve been a bit busy so I’ve been doing a bit more reading than posting and I have only just caught up with this @@TonyQ, always good to read another Uganda report and great to see lots of monkey/primate photos. Just one thing though I’m afraid your L’Hoest’s monkey is not a L’Hoest’s, it is I suspect a Doggett’s silver monkey Cercopithecus mitis doggetti a subspecies of the blue monkey that is found in South West Uganda considered by some to be a full species C. doggetti . Your gentle monkey looks like a Stuhlmann’s blue monkey Cercopithecus mitis stuhlmanni which I believe is the subspecies that occurs in Bwindi. A lot of subspecies lumped together as gentle/blue monkeys are now regarded as separate species by some scientists.

I’ve seen a good few blue monkeys but I don’t think I’ve ever seen a silver one though I’m not entirely sure, however I have seen L’Hoest’s monkeys in Kibale Forest and in Bwindi NP at Ruhiza up above Buhoma I don’t really have any photos that are worth posting so here’s a link to ARKive instead. L'Hoest's monkey

When I visited Uganda back in 97 I never got to see the gorillas but I did see chimps and a good selection of monkeys but my slide photos are not that great or at least my slide scanner isn’t that great, either way your red colobus photos are much better than any of the ones I took.

Let’s see your red colobus

Show us your gorillas

Edited by inyathi

@@inyathi

Thank you for your kind comments and for your identifications - interesting to see the links as well

Many of the primates are difficult to photograph - but great to see. I always enjoy them!

• 5 months later...

@@TonyQ just catching this and its wonderful. I think I can see what you're talking about. We witnessed the migration after a long anticipation and I felt the same...so emotional I didn't want to try for another one the next day. On to other new experiences and leave that memory alone.

• 3 weeks later...

@@TonyQ What a beautiful & moving experience. Great variety of species (love the baby mongoose). Your photos are wonderful; even the agricultural landscapes are breathtaking.

Out of curiosity: when you say it was obvious that the market clothing was made in China, what tipped you off?

@@Marks

Thank you for the kind comment

A lot of the manafactured items had "Made in China" on them. I am not sure about clothing, but things such as tools (including agricultural), blankets, lamps etc. all said "Made in China".

• 1 year later...

post-49296-0-55618500-1448391929_thumb.jpg post-49296-0-17889300-1448391941_thumb.jpg

~ @@TonyQ

How do you do it?

Taking such delightful leopard images, seemingly wherever you visit in Africa!

I was captivated by your from-the-archives trip report, with the initial use of a digital camera after a lifetime of film photography.

As I've expressed before, your writing style is my favorite. The lack of cynical humor, snarky comments, name-dropping or one-ups-man-ship is refreshing, making your commentary a pleasure to read.

You have the gift of putting your subject matter first and foremost. Your mild humor, realistic outlook, and tolerance for awkward situations are a model for me.

A true confession — until reading your trip report I never realized that coffee bloomed. Thus the lovely white blooms were a pleasant surprise.

Although a decade ago, the sightings came across in your trip report as fresh as if you and @@Thursday's Child had visited there last month.

Such an enjoyable and inspiring trip report!

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you for your very kind comments! It is interesting how quickly a decade disappears :)

I enjoyed revisiting the photos when putting the report together (and even had another look at the gorillas when I received notification of your post)