112 / 29 / 7 - Ice in the NCA

ice

Hah, great shots! :D

wait till you see them on my car

Those are the guys!

You're lucky with those kites. Could have messed up the whole safari.

Edited by Atravelynn

Super stuff @@ice

I agree with all your comments on Ndutu Safari Lodge, but it is hard to argue with the value for money.

Lunch boxes - yuk. Although, to my immense surprise - we got a brilliant lunch box from Ngorongoro Sopa Lodge last time I was in the Crater. Perhaps it was because we were a group that they could be a bit more adventurous.

we spent about an hour at the cheetah kill but finally left for Two Trees where we found cheetah #3 - a big male

post-6901-0-29251700-1395680755_thumb.jpg

With him we stayed for almost six hours. For the most of the time it was just us and the film crew cars but every once in a while a few other cars joined - and then left again.

#3 was obviously hungry, he even (although half-heartedly) chased a zebra foal. At about 5 pm we were told that other guides had found a female leopard in the Marsh. Hamisi and I decided to leave #3 while the film crew stayed.

They call this leopard "Half Tail" although only a tiny piece of her tail is missing. Anyway, looking back this was probably the biggest group of cars I saw during my entire stay, about a dozen vehicles or so had formed a neat circle around the tree she was relaxing in.

45 minutes later I told Hamisi to call it a day - during my 2013 stay at Mashatu and Kruger I had had so many exceptional leopard sightings, this one was nothing special to me.

post-6901-0-63869700-1395681066_thumb.jpg

Edited by ice

Wild Frontier Ndutu Wilderness Camp and KIA Lodge had great lunch boxes. I wish I had those contents in the fridge for a couple of meals right now.

I can tell the female leopard in the tree was not "my leopard" because her ears are in good shape and not terribly flea bitten like the leopard I saw.

• 3 weeks later...

Wild Frontier Ndutu Wilderness Camp and KIA Lodge had great lunch boxes. I wish I had those contents in the fridge for a couple of meals right now.

I can tell the female leopard in the tree was not "my leopard" because her ears are in good shape and not terribly flea bitten like the leopard I saw.

Good information @@Atravelynn ... especially since I may have the option of a KIA Lodge lunch box or nothing or a sandwich purchased at Arusha airport one day this year!! :) Isn't it amazing how the smallest things can be helpful?

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if I will ever finish this trip report but I am now in the midst of editing my video footage and since it was requested earlier on, I will share the links here as well

I'll start with the Crater Rhinos

cheetah kill 1 of 7

I know 5 minutes is probably a tad bit long but this was the first kill I ever witnessed from start to finish (although I was unable to film it all)

Edited by ice

cheetah mountaneers

Mountaineers, very clever.

The cheetah kill video is "not available in your country." Maybe Youtube is censoring for me because the video has a kill. The mountain climbing video played just fine. Nice going with the black rhinos. Looks like there was a wildebeest who thought he was a rhino in there.

@@Atravelynn

it's probably not available because I used music which I don't have a license for

What if I promise Youtube I'll turn off the sound and just hum my own tune?

SafariChick

I couldn't see the cheetah kill either - makes sense since I live in the same country as @@Atravelynn - bummer. I enjoyed the others though. Why DO the cheetahs get on the cars? Just so habituated and like having a high place?

I believe you have answered the question, @@SafariChick. It is behavior taught by their mothers. Of course there had to be a first.

I don't think it's such a big mistery or surprise, they may use cars as a lookout point just like they use termite mounds

Edited by ice

SafariChick

It's just interesting to me as I've only been to South Africa and Botswana and haven't seen this behavior there.