Masai Mara, 2nd time, 9 - 14 feb 2014

Gregor

madaboutcheetah

Lovely read @@Gregor ........ Better weather month, isn't it? Feb? ..... what did you think about light for photography? Sunrises and sunsets?

michael-ibk

The treeclimbing cheetah is just awesome. Love the shot with giraffes, topis, zebras and wildebeest - paradise indeed.Thanks for sharing, very much enjoyed your report.

Zakouma? Seems to be all the rage now, soon the place will be positively crowded with Safaritalkers. ;)

@@Gregor

Thank you for the report - a very enjoyable read with some great pictures (I like the Garden of Eden!)

Hi @@madaboutcheetah

February is supposed to be sunny varm and dry, which should mean short grass and that the animals is drawn to where there is water. Good I thought. This time there had been raining shortly before we arrived, and conditions were opposite to expected. Another important factor is that in February there has been winter for 4-5 long months in Sweden (there is sunlight only between 9-15) and at least I want to get away.

I can't say that i prefer sunrise or sunset for photography, both can give very good light. Midday in direct sunlight is the worst, both for light and that animals is just resting. Bad weather often gives very good opportunities, especially shortly after a rainfall/storm. In Africa mornings seems to be better than evenings, to find animals doing interesting things. To enjoy a good breakfast at the lodge and leave for game drive at nine a clock, is not an option.:)

Gregor - thanks for a great trip report. Looks like you had some great sightings.

I also just clicked through to your fotoblog on Lake Nakuru - looks like you had a great time there with some fantastic images. How many nights did you spend in Lake Nakuru on that trip?

Glad you liked it. I was in Lake Nakuru three days. And that was very good. Actually I think it was better photography than in Masai Mara. I hear that since then Lake Nakuru NP was flooded. Anyone know how conditions is there now?