Off-season in the Masai Mara - The fabulous Mara Plains Camp in the OMC.

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah Thanks, so as I thought, nothing Safari is ever cheap! When did you go and how much rain was there?

Malaika the super-model (again!!!)

(not to take away any attention from her - any safaritalkers seen Shingo lately in their visits to the Mara???)

On the Mara Cheetah Project FB page, they have a sighting of him yesterday, I think...

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah Thanks, so as I thought, nothing Safari is ever cheap! When did you go and how much rain was there?

Very few nights that it didn't rain ....... That didn't impact game drives. During the day - One or two days with some off and on drizzle. One night it rained through the night making the tracks boggy the next day! Don't forget the T'storms are localized ...... so, it might rain in the Triangle one day, it may not the other side of the river!

madaboutcheetah

An Eland Bull ......

post-308-0-02827600-1396976384_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Another!

post-308-0-60861300-1396976618_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Zebra sky!!!

post-308-0-79677900-1396976690_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Black chested Snake Eagle

post-308-0-19525000-1396976827_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Found another one of Amani's cub ........ to round it off for today (to be continued) ..........

post-308-0-35119700-1396976998_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@@madaboutcheetah and was it feb or march that you went?

March 23rd to 29th at Mara Entim in the Reserve - It rained more during this period; the weather pattern i described in the above post.

March 29th to April 3rd at Mara Plains in the OMC conservency - it rained one night - otherwise no rain at all day or night.............

@@Safaridude - yes, I think you may be right!

Edited by madaboutcheetah

Poor tsessebes… those "ungainly" cousins never got much love from Hari as far as I know...

Edited by Safaridude

madaboutcheetah

Poor tsessebes… those "ungainly" cousins never got much love from Hari as far as I know...

Haha - that's because I'm always tracking the 3 cheetah boys and turn a blind eye to them!

I can say, I love Eland?!?

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Malaika the super-model (again!!!)

(not to take away any attention from her - any safaritalkers seen Shingo lately in their visits to the Mara???)

On the Mara Cheetah Project FB page, they have a sighting of him yesterday, I think...

Saw that - I think the reference was to Shingo's 3 boys ......... Not Shingo herself!

madaboutcheetah

One of the sub-adult males that have been kicked out of the Enkoyeni Pride. Apparently there are 6 more Males with this guy (we didn't see them; talk was they may have gone off to Naibosho)

post-308-0-78843000-1397020730_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

Narasha's now independent daughter (no name so farpost-308-0-75173600-1397020875_thumb.jpg) .....

madaboutcheetah

She's going to be a super star too, I'm guessing ....... She stayed put in one position as she realizes that the Monico pride are on the move and eventually will settle down up their Monico Hill.

post-308-0-37601500-1397021026_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

She is being hounded by a pesky pest!!!

post-308-0-57496400-1397021120_thumb.jpg

Hari,

FYI Malaika had 6 cubs on Rhino Ridge around late February but it seems she has lost them as she has not been in that area for a while now.

Amani's daughter has split from her two brothers and is called Imani.

D

madaboutcheetah

Hari,

FYI Malaika had 6 cubs on Rhino Ridge around late February but it seems she has lost them as she has not been in that area for a while now.

Amani's daughter has split from her two brothers and is called Imani.

D

Yes, we had one sighting of Imani while at entim camp. Malaika is closer to the edge of the conservancy last few weeks.

madaboutcheetah

I don't think I will have too much more to contribute to this thread on Mara Plains in the OMC; feel free to ask questions if any ..........

Thanks for reading this report and your interest has got me to get through the editing quickly in a week where I've been mostly home bound with the flu ........

Cheers

Hari

Sorry about the flu. Always so much to catch up on and attend to when you've been gone. Being compromised does not help.

So here is the full report with dates and everything. I had not seen this when I checked out Lauren the Leopard. I especially like the stalking cheetah cub, the tree climbing cheetah cub, and the boxing lions.

Your comment on localized rains is something that has really been evident to me since I have started going in the wet-green-emerald season. You can really drive into or out of the showers. You were there at the height of the rains and managed fantastic sightings/photos. Do you know if the rains you experienced were typical or if they were lighter than normal?

Get well quick. But I bet you are thinking better to be ill post-safari than during it.

Edited by Atravelynn

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Lynn ...... Normal rains is what I hear..... Mostly evening t'storms .....

Coming home sick is a bitch...thanks for taking the time to show the cheetahs...just love THOSE CUBS,omg I want to get on a plane right now and go see them.....at one time in my safari life, I went by "Chacheetah" I was so taken by the species......I love those beautiful creatures.

Get well Hari; we love your reports!

madaboutcheetah

Thanks @@graceland .... all recovered now........