FlyTraveler

Spectacular photos all the way through...but especially the little hyaena cubs and handsom male leopard. :)

Thank you for the compliment, @@Big_Dog! The male leopard was handsome, indeed. I feel so sorry that we didn't stay and wait for him to show up in the open.

Khwai airstrip - Maun flight. June 04, 2014

Here comes the final installment for this journey.

As I mentioned in the previous post, the other, more experienced Sango Camp guide (Four-Four) gave us a ride to the airstrip while our vehicle-mates continued their game drive for another hour. When we arrived, the plane and the pilot were already there. This was the smallest aircraft I have ever flown with (apart from a microlight) - Cessna 172 piloted by Jose - a very young pilot from Barcelona, Spain.

post-46619-0-89856600-1410514801_thumb.jpg

My wife and I were the only passengers on this flight and Jose invited me to take the co-pilot seat.

Our Spanish pilot Jose during take off from Khwai airstrip:

post-46619-0-76663900-1410514938_thumb.jpg

Last wildlife sighting on this trip - group of red lechwes in Moremi GR immediately after take off:

post-46619-0-27004800-1410528812_thumb.jpg

View of the delta through the windscreen:

post-46619-0-06778800-1410528710_thumb.jpg

Last views towards the delta:

post-46619-0-48816800-1410528911_thumb.jpg

Landing at Maun airport:

post-46619-0-69596100-1410528983_thumb.jpg

In Maun we took SA Airlink flight to Joburg, where we changed to British Airways flight to London, UK.

Landing in Johannesburg:

post-46619-0-55013000-1410533687_thumb.jpg

At the end of the long haul flight we were rewarded with amazing aerial views towards Central London.

Thames with The Shard, The Gherkin and St. Paul's Cathedral:

post-46619-0-54071600-1410529384_thumb.jpg

London Eye, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey, Trafalgar Square and many other central London sights:

post-46619-0-34972300-1410529503_thumb.jpg

Hyde Park with The Royal Albert Hall, The Albert Memorial, Science Museum:

post-46619-0-75078600-1410529636_thumb.jpg

This was the end of this African journey, the report about the first part of the trip (Cape Town, Timbavati and Sabi Sand) can be seen Here

Thank you very much for your attention! Hopefully I'll be able to post a report about Ruaha after we come back from the trip about mid October.

THE END

Edited by FlyTraveler

madaboutcheetah

Awesome finish with more shots from the air ....... I so wish I can wake up to run in Hyde park tomorrow morning, though ......... ;)

We are thinking of visiting London in the next ~2 years, so even that ending was a pleasant surprise! Hyde Park is shockingly green amidst all the buildings.

Very much looking forward to your thoughts and photos on Ruaha.

@@FlyTraveler

Thank you for a great report with excellent photos. .

Although you had problems towards the end, you have some wonderful shots of the hyena pups - beautiful animals, and of the fighting impala, the leopard and the mating warthog.

Very enjoyable throughout - and I look forward to one from Ruaha

@@FlyTraveler

Thank you for a great report with excellent photos. .

Although you had problems towards the end, you have some wonderful shots of the hyena pups - beautiful animals, and of the fighting impala, the leopard and the mating warthog.

Very enjoyable throughout - and I look forward to one from Ruaha

Thanks for the good words, @@TonyQ! I hope that things will go well in Ruaha, for a first time we are taking a chance and not using a well known safari company / lodges / camps. Just TANAPA government cottages + hired guide with Land Rover from Iringa. It might turn out to be all right, though. Will let you all know in any case :)