Bangweulu Wetlands, Lake Tanganyika and Katavi

Blue Bird

Very interesting about those hippos preferring mud to fresher water in Katavi. I wonder if it helps with ticks or something like that?

Have you got a route map you could share with us?

I'm sure there must be some advantage to spending the day in a mudbath rather than fresh water. Clearly the smell can't bother them!

There was a lot of driving on the trip, but you really do appreciate what a huge diverse continent Africa is. I've annontated a map which should give you a better idea about our route.

post-24187-0-73909600-1405455841_thumb.jpg

Interesting hippo behavior, especially if localized to Katavi. Whatever the cause, you have secured some unusual and conversation-starting photos out of it.

Also, the frond makes a nice backdrop for that fish eagle.

I've enjoyed this very much.

Edited by Marks

madaboutcheetah

@@Blue Bird - THanks for the report ....... Wow! looks a fascinating destination.

Did you by any chance see the Banguwelu Tssesebe?

Did you by any chance see the Banguwelu Tssesebe?

Didn't see any Tssesebe in Benguwelu - only 100,000 lechwe and 20 Zebra - apparently a small group of Zebra were introduced about a decade ago.

The hippo behaviour experienced by @@Blue Bird is somewhat typical of Katavi.

We could not believe it when we saw that. My only explanation is that hippos in Katavi must be particularly gregarious!

I love the idea of gregarious Katavi hippos!

Fantastic experience; thanks for sharing. Love your giraffe shots, I've never be able to get a full face!

Remote and adventuresome for sure. Enjoyable to read a different style of safari!

@@Blue Bird

Thank you for a fascinating report - very enjoyable with great photos

Yes, that's a very interesting trip and enjoyable to read about. Thanks for the report - and the map (that's a great addition).

What an excellent adventure, so different from what most of us do but very rewarding. If I were younger ...... :)