Video trip report - Masai Mara June 2014

cheetah80

@@cheetah80

Beautiful photos - I especially like the leopard (exciting to be so close) and the hyena!

Thanks everyone! :-)

• 1 month later...

You did a great job staying focused on the action there...don't think I could have done it - too exciting!

That portrait of Fig is incredible! Never seen better leopard whiskers ever!! And the serious cheetah cub is super too - love his luminous eyes :)

Edited by Sangeeta

@@Marks - my partner took the video, I was transfixed by the action :-)

@@Sangeeta that's why I love Fig, she has the cutest explosion of whiskers ever! I still am kicking myself for cutting some off my photo but she was moving fast!

Looks like you got all the whiskers intact in that portrait at least, Allison? 'An explosion of whiskers' - I love that!

• 7 months later...

Ok so I posted my boyfriend's videos of the leopards and the cheetahs, it's time to post the compilation of lion clips - with many cubs :)

Hi great videos but the B&W of Fig is outstanding! How many people in the Porini vehicles? Did you get a 'window' seat each? Thinking of going with them. Pen

Thumbs Up....maybe we will got to Kenya instead of Tanzania next year....

Hello

@@penolva thank you! At Porini Lion everyone has a window seat and there are up to 6 people in a vehicle (3 rows for guests + 1 row for the driver and spotter. I don't think I ever actually saw one with 6 people in it, usually it's 4 - but I guess it depends on the time of the year and the situation with the vehicles. I would highly recommend a safari with them - so much so I am going again this year for the 3rd year in a row :)

@@SSF556 and I need to go to Tanzania for a change, it's been over 10 years since I have last been

Edited by cheetah80

Tom Kellie

@@penolva thank you! At Porini Lion everyone has a window seat and there are up to 6 people in a vehicle (3 rows for guests + 1 row for the driver and spotter. I don't think I ever actually saw one with 6 people in it, usually it's 4 - but I guess it depends on the time of the year and the situation with the vehicles. I would highly recommend a safari with them - so much so I am going again this year for the 3rd year in a row :)

~ @@cheetah80

Your strong endorsement of Porini Lion is impressive.

In the past ten days or so the Porini Camps have cropped up in several unrelated contexts.

Your explanation about the seating arrangements is most helpful.

Thank you for telling @@penolva, which lets us all know.

Tom K.

Hello

@@SSF556 and I need to go to Tanzania for a change, it's been over 10 years since I have last been

Wow that's an excellent recommendation! Did you do Amboseli as well? Pen

Hi @@penolva I haven't been to Amboseli yet. I was between it and Samburu this year and I opted for Samburu :)

The lion compilation video was nicely done (especially those mighty yawns right in a row).

We were thinking of their adventure camps in Amboseli and Mara, did you get a look at those? would love to be in the area where you saw the leopard, she is an absolute beauty and that close up, wowzer! Pen

@@penolva I never made it to the adventure camps as those are only available during high season and I don't go during that time anymore. I saw the leopard, called Fig, at the Olare Motorogi conservancy which is ideal for big cat sightings. So I would try to fit in a couple of nights at Porini Lion too. The adventure camp option is quite unique as you are in conservancies at a very very good price - I don't believe anyone else has a similar offer. Porini's guides are also very good, and will probably be way above the average at that price point anywhere in the Mara.

You can like their page on Facebook and subscribe to the newsletter to see all the happenings and news from the camps and areas they operate in.

Thanks I will like their FB. Looks great value. Pen

• 4 months later...

What a nice video of lions, it made my morning :). I can't stop smiling.

@@cheetah80 If you get time Alison can you write up a review of the camps in which you stayed for the new Lodge & Camp Review Forum

Thanks, Matt.

@@Game Warden Finished my first one for Porini Lion. Will try to review other properties in the coming days too :)

Edited by cheetah80

• 2 months later...

~ @@cheetah80

Although I'm unable to view videos where I live, your still photographs are deeply impressive.

Tonight I went back over them, one-by-one, after reading your lodge review of Porini Lion.

The point-blank range image of Fig has detail beyond anything in my experience.

Likewise the cheetah face portrait is stunning!

Looking over the shutter speed in the EXIF information, I'm impressed that you made such sharp images at relatively slow shutter speeds.

The rich color in your photos made me shake my head in admiration.

Looking over an older trip report like this has its value, when one is mulling over options.

You mentioned that you might visit Tanzania this year. If so, I hope that your safari there is a great one!

Thank you.

Tom K.

Thank you so much for your kind words @@Tom Kellie - much appreciated. I am still not sure whether to visit Tanzania or the Mara this year, I just can't decide it seems - though I must do so fast if I want to be able to pick my dates.