Lewa Safari Camp superb again June 2014

COSMIC RHINO

COSMIC RHINO

Well as previously mentioned I do not have a home computer , I have sent some prints my PDF scan to the acting camp mamager when I was there as she say they will appear on lewa Safri Camp Facebook page

@RichB Lewa wildlife conservancy is not cheap to operate as well as a serious operation, there are a whole lot of community projects with 6,500 in primary school, health clinics, micro credit , irrigation projects etc. The tourist numbers are relative low ( 5 accom places in 62,000 ha) to avoid disturbing the animals. THe total operating costs are around USD 6 million per year. Fess from the tourist operations and reserve fees are part of this , as are donors both individuals and NGO'S

madaboutcheetah

Not to be nosy - these posts come from your work computer? or phone?

I don't think Lewa is on my FB feed ..... so, once they are up if you can alert us to the posts ...... will be appreciated!

COSMIC RHINO

work computer

Well as previously mentioned I do not have a home computer , I have sent some prints my PDF scan to the acting camp mamager when I was there as she say they will appear on lewa Safri Camp Facebook page

@RichB Lewa wildlife conservancy is not cheap to operate as well as a serious operation, there are a whole lot of community projects with 6,500 in primary school, health clinics, micro credit , irrigation projects etc. The tourist numbers are relative low ( 5 accom places in 62,000 ha) to avoid disturbing the animals. THe total operating costs are around USD 6 million per year. Fess from the tourist operations and reserve fees are part of this , as are donors both individuals and NGO'S

Can I ask Cosmic what sort of daily rate are we looking at to stay at Lewa, and are all the camps around the same price?

"to literary identify with my favourite animals, I left hair behind in 3 seperate middeens in Sth Africa"

Classic CR!

COSMIC RHINO

@@RichB Lewa began as a cattle farm, the Craig family who operated it were always friendly to wildlife , Anna Merz came along with the initial funding to turn it into a rhino reserve.

The whole focus has been on wildlife, and they realise that supporting the community is a key part of the overall scheme of operation.

tourists were introduced later in small numbers to help pay the operating costs.

it is first and foremost a wildlife reserve, as opposed to most other reserves which have an initial heavy economic emphasis.

the reserve fees are uniform USD 105 per person per day.

the prices of the different tourist accom varies.

Lewa Safari Camp is the cheapest , my single rate for 2015 is USD 505 per night .

to stay there you add on the cost of transfers, Safarilink charges single travellers double fares in peak season to guarantee that the plane will depart, and four times fare in non peak season. You initially pay your agent this , and advice is available closer to departure on how many will travel . if there is more than one one the flight which might also include Samburu and Nanuki you get a refund or credit.

Sirokoi tdented camp which is near lewa safari camp is much more elaborare, my guide told me that they charge USD 1500 per person per night twin share

madaboutcheetah

I did some research on Sirikoi for a future visit........ The prices are approx $850 .......

Edited by madaboutcheetah

"Lewa Safari Camp is the cheapest , my single rate for 2015 is USD 505 per night ."

That really is not bad for the location.

"Ferrari Safari" I'm going to remember that, as something to avoid, not request.

Thats seems a pretty good rate Cosmic...How long do you normally stay at Lewa and do you visit other areas in Kenya during this trip or only Lewa?..I love the sound of this place, especially for the Rhinos. Do they have white and black there?

COSMIC RHINO

@RichB the rate is not cheap but it is a place of the heart and soul

I am very keen on rhinos, elephants, reticulated giraffe and grevys zebras I spend 7 days there and combine it with some cheaper places in sth africa

they have both black and white rhinos and the guides know their territories

If you want to go in the middle of 2015 I would book soon as all of May and part of June is already fully taken up with large groups.

the light plane has a 15 kg limit for everything , think compact camera , I did well with my Nikon P520 which goes to 1.000 mm on optical zoom

COSMIC RHINO

I travel at that time of year

rates vary according to seasons and a much more expensive in July

COSMIC RHINO

cheetahs are around in Lewa , I saw them a number of times, mainly as individuals in a delightfully relaxed manner

lions are around and can be found but my main interest is in other animals

some of the lions have collars on them

buffaloes can be seen as the duggas/grumpy old men and family herds

@@Atravelynn to use the ranger's term you get list tickers on Ferrari Safaris ,those who have a list of animls to been seen briefly then move on.

at Lewa they have less lions than before, with the cooperation of the KWS some were translocated out as they wanted to protect rhino calves and Grevy's zebras of all ages.

on a personal note on the night that they had a barbaque meal I tripped on a stone step around the pool where dinner was being held, got a few sharp scratches on a knee which repaired with anteseptic. for the rest of my trip at every location I was keen to use my torch around steps at night.

lewa safari camp is a fenced place to keep the big animals out , that does not stop a visiting female ostrich, in one case with 7 chicks gthe manager told me.

you are not allowed to move after dark without a security askari

when you get back from the gamedrive you are told what time diiner was , I was abit tired so I rested a while before going to the main lodge building

I had a noisy kitchen timer on to go of, so I was not going to be late. there was a bit of concern so a houskeeper was sent with the hotwater bottle asking if I was ok

on my final night I was doing my packing , the askari came to ask about me

this approach is gentler than elsa's camp when people are given diiner time and anyone late gets the head waiter banging on the door asking for an explaination

all laundry is done free of charge , except female underwear which you have to do yourself,so bring a coathanger

lewa safari camp is a great place to stay

COSMIC RHINO

the laundry goes in a basket is handed back the next day

if you need to do your own you just bring the hanger , there is a small container of soap poeder in the bathroom

It was interesting to see some cautious interaction between a a single elephant and a small group of white rhinos, they were close together at times.

most of the other guests at the time I was there were american zoo keppwers who have done a lot on fundraising for lewa

I was in a vehicle with an indian family briefly, well perhaps they selected the wrong thing to amust their 7 year old daughter betweebn drives a utube film about a black rhinio killing a lion.

anyway I managed to calm her down about not dring away from a black rhino and not leaving a cheetah siting

anyone who is keen abot a strong wireless connection on their safari, well it could be better here. well it is a good chance it get away from it all.

staying a Lewa is a very good way to support conservation of endangered wildlife, something real,small and meaningfull.

something pmetgh

COSMIC RHINO

this is something I can actually achieve, not sure what I can do against the massive tide of bad rhino and elephant news which greeted me on my return

COSMIC RHINO

my pack with a purpose gift , just a few pens, crayons, sharpers, rubbers, rulers, and especially simple pocket calculators created excitement

well there are 6,500 primary school pupils to look after, and minor things make a difference

the visits to the hand raised rhinos are no longer done as elvis the free roaming hand raised and very large rhino almost banged into them

this has a element of risk for visitors, so the small hand raised rhinos just go along with their carers

firebreaks are no ,longer burnt in areas of thick long grass, they can get out of control

instead in areas of thick long grass members of the surrouding community are invited to bring in cattle on a strictly controlled basis in terms of numbers and time period to eat the grass. they are kept in a mdtal pen at night , and the attendants sleep in a tiny tent