twaffle

Finally had a moment to catch up on your trip report. Not sure what adjectives to apply. Lyrical would be one ii would ditto for your writings amazing read. As to your images, they are top shelf as is your standard. Love the quote about seeing differently. Spot on and an area where your talent transcends

Favorite image? So many to choose from. The dik dik is by far the best i have ever seen of them. More to come?

I have never seen a baby baobab. This trip has been a baobab coup for you! Great Buffalo Gym action. Now kids, don't play with your food! Beautiful crater shot.

Thank you everyone for your comments, and for continuing on with the journey with me. A small intermission whilst I get some work done and then I'll be back into it.

Your pictures make me feel like jumping on my camera and sign up for photo course :-)

By the way did you feel the crater was crowded.

Thank you Africalover. The crater had plenty of vehicles but most of the time we avoided them nicely. Naturally, around the lions on the kill, it was busy but not like I've seen in some photos. Some things you need to see in your life, and the crater is one of them. I think I've been enough to not need to go back, but if the timing was right I would do it again.

Me four :D

I wish I could do my regular camera even half of what you can make your iPhone do!

So interesting to see how the mood changes completely with the border change - the dramatic black border and white captions from your Kenya safari and the mellow white border and black captions on this one. I can't decide which I like more from a purely aesthetic point of view, but this one seems to go very well with your narrative. Super buffalo jungle gym!

Thanks Sangeeta, I thought I'd change the border because I like to try different effects.

Finally had a moment to catch up on your trip report. Not sure what adjectives to apply. Lyrical would be one ii would ditto for your writings amazing read. As to your images, they are top shelf as is your standard. Love the quote about seeing differently. Spot on and an area where your talent transcends

Favorite image? So many to choose from. The dik dik is by far the best i have ever seen of them. More to come?

Thanks Mosquito, I have so many more photos to process I can't even begin to think about it or I'll give up. I'm glad that you liked the writing, despite it being a bit light on this time.

I have never seen a baby baobab. This trip has been a baobab coup for you! Great Buffalo Gym action. Now kids, don't play with your food! Beautiful crater shot.

Thanks Atravelynn, I think that I'm now going to be even more particular about future 'baobab parks' and will be actively searching out the young and the old, the large and the small. It makes a delightful change from animal searching. I'm now thinking only baobab country for me in the future. ^_^

Some great specimens around Kununurra. ;)

Thank you for the latest installment - I always enjoy pictures of the Crater with the rim covered in clouds (like a layer of cake icing). Also, great shot of the golden, the Crater was the one and only time that I've seen one. The lion shots were terrific too - it must have been quite a joy watching the cubs climb in, around and on the buffalo carcass - hopefully, you weren't down wind!

Some great specimens around Kununurra. ;)

True, but I'm leaving the boabs until I'm too old to see the baobabs that I love and have to settle for the specimens closer to home! ;)

Thank you for the latest installment - I always enjoy pictures of the Crater with the rim covered in clouds (like a layer of cake icing). Also, great shot of the golden, the Crater was the one and only time that I've seen one. The lion shots were terrific too - it must have been quite a joy watching the cubs climb in, around and on the buffalo carcass - hopefully, you weren't down wind!

The carcass was pretty fresh, only a day or so dead so not too smelly, thank goodness.

madaboutcheetah

@@twaffle - ofcourse, the Lion images are splendid ...... But, I'm spellbound by those scenics from the Ngorongoro!!! WOW

@@twaffle - outstanding photos! Enjoying them immensely. And what a lovely introduction, you have a way with words. Will be looking forward to see what else you have in store for us. Thank you for sharing!

I love the misty pictures and the lions of course.

gallery_5545_1079_193598.jpg

Obviously this photo isn't of rolling hippos in case anyone was wondering! :wacko:

gallery_5545_1079_263321.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_173467.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_267591.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_57263.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_215285.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_235919.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_24089.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_117380.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_133958.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_35988.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_92332.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_209205.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_20062.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_140571.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_109486.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_280410.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_116505.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_218765.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_71686.jpg

gallery_5545_1079_201463.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@@twaffle - again ...... I am blown away by the scenic shots here. Fantastic!!!

I absolutely love the first crater shot, with the layer of fog, just stunning!

Thanks Hari and Zim Girl, I was quite surprised by the beauty of the Crater this time around.

madaboutcheetah

How were the crowds this time in the crater?

Crowds were heavy in places but we only really had to deal with them at the lion cubs on the carcass. At other times we avoided them quite well.

I'm very ambivalent about the crowds for the following reasons:

1 Tourists are needed to help provide funding for conservation, it is either hunting or tourism … there doesn't appear to be another choice to consider.

2 It is possible to avoid crowds in most cases if you decide not to join them for the predators and try and find your own. Squack did this successfully for us on a number of occasions.

3 Ngorongoro Crater is not a 'wild' feeling place and I think if you visit it with that in mind it can deliver some exceptional experiences. However, I'm not sure that I'm planning to return.

4 In my experience, it is possible to desensitise yourself to the other vehicles within limits. If they behave well and you see the benefits in their presence, it's not so irritating as long as you have plenty of days in areas where isolation and wildness is available. Taking a balanced approached I guess. Some loud mouthed ignorant tourists can be hard to stomach so the best way around it is to laugh at them. ;)

5 The crater is fortunately located near several very, very wild areas. It can be matched well with the Southern Serengeti area of the NCAA such as Serian's camp or the Lamai Wedge area and then there is Mkomazi which isn't so far away. Northern Tanzania is good like that.

I never thought I'd ever want to visit the crater; I had always seen pics of just vehicle after vehicle and never included it in my "imaginary itineraries".

But your images show it as a real stunner.

Really love all the photos; most specifically the landscapes as you are so perfect with those, not just zooming in on an animals face, but showing their environment and how they relate to the space.

Just exquisite. I love this series. :)

Edited by graceland

You captured the essence of the crater's beauty and vastness, both with and without animals as subjects. Those gazelles look healthy, almost plump.

Zebra eyelashes. Now we all have something new to aspire to!

Zebra eyelashes. Now we all have something new to aspire to!

I was thinking the exact same thing when I saw that photo! I am thrilled to see the crater landscape through your eyes. Very special images - you even make the cows look scenic :D

Thank you for your comments which I really appreciate.

I am deeply impressed by some of the last pictures you posted:

the B&W hippos, the impressionistic blur and the ethereal mist and dust, but what can I say about the photo with the clouds formation (the one between the lion and the serval cat), divinely superb.

At first sight, during a fraction of a second, I thought that it was a picture of a big tsunami wave, very spectacular!!!!!

I appreciate and agree with your thoughts on vehicle crowding - very well-reasoned. Do you have any photos of the serval with her kitten?

Thanks Bush Dog, a tsunami is an analogy that I really like.

Marks, we watched the serval with binoculars as she went out of camera range and she met her kitten unexpectedly right when we were ready to put our binocs down. She was a very long way away and so no photos at all, but it was a pretty cool sighting.

More great images. I really like the first serval shot, it looks wonderfully alert.