Show us your small antelope species.

Game Warden

• 2 months later...

I have a few of these small antelope species :) Enjoy!

Kirk's Dik-dik (Ndutu, Tanzania)

post-50274-0-27688800-1449766875_thumb.jpg

Salt's Dik-dik (Awash NP, Ethiopia)

post-50274-0-26863200-1449766877_thumb.jpg

Oribi (South Africa)

post-50274-0-06438300-1449766880_thumb.jpg

Steenbok (Ndutu, Tanzania)

post-50274-0-83238400-1449766883_thumb.jpg

Grysbok (south Africa)

post-50274-0-26130300-1449766885_thumb.jpg

Grey Rhebok (Bontebok NP, South Africa)

post-50274-0-71285100-1449766886_thumb.jpg

~ @@samapi

The collection you've added is very nice.

Merci beaucoup!

I'd recently read a mention of Grey Rhebok but had never seen one.

Your image above shows its colors and distinctive form so well.

Tom K.

Very nice @@wenchy ! Not usual at all to see photos of such dorca antelope

I've not seen this topic yet, small is beautiful.

Oreotragus oreotragus- Klipspringer.

Shanti lava flow in Tsavo East National Park, July 2015.

post-26959-0-21237100-1450041080_thumb.jpg

post-26959-0-28871700-1450041118_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ben mosquito

~ @@Ben mosquito

Thank you for posting the klipspringer photos.

When you first encountered them, were they difficult to spot, or did they sufficiently stand out such that they were readily visible?

I've never seen klipspringer, although I visited areas where they're seen.

Somehow I've developed the impression that klipspringer are challenging to spot. Yet that may well be a mistaken notion.

Tom K.

thanks @@Tom Kellie

We found this family by chance, they were hidden behind branches, but one was more fearless.

It was a small light spot on the dark lava flow on the side of the road, our eagle-eye guide saw it.

Ben.

thanks @@Tom Kellie

We found this family by chance, they were hidden behind branches, but one was more fearless.

It was a small light spot on the dark lava flow on the side of the road, our eagle-eye guide saw it.

Ben.

~ @@Ben mosquito

Wonderful!

I'd never have been able to spot it.

I've hoped to see more klipspringer images posted in Safaritalk, as it's a species about which I'm curious.

Very good that you were able to enjoy seeing and photographing it!

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...

buffons kob - W national Park, Niger Dec '15

jv1aap.jpg

~ @@wenchy

What? Another W National Park image?

This is GREAT! Seeing any images at all from Niger is a rare treat.

Having never seen any sort of kob, it's an eye-opener to enjoy your fine Buffon's kob image.

Thank you!

Tom K.

Lovely photo of the kob @@wenchy. Any chance of a trip report or additional pictures from Niger?

@@Tom Kellie

Gracias senor. Very kind of you. Hope you consider venturing west/central. W was surprisingly good viewing given usual chaotic biome of the region.

@@PT123 - will try. Will post up logistics at very least. Please consider going. The only way to encourage conservation is to go.

@@Tom Kellie

Gracias senor. Very kind of you. Hope you consider venturing west/central. W was surprisingly good viewing given usual chaotic biome of the region.

@@PT123 - will try. Will post up logistics at very least. Please consider going. The only way to encourage conservation is to go.

~ @@wenchy

The two locations which keep tugging at my thoughts are Kidepo in northeastern Uganda and W du Niger.

Were I ever to identify a moderately reliable — I recognize that extreme ups and downs are a given — guide or tour operator, I'm willing to go.

I strongly like what you've written "the only way to encourage conservation is to go".

Tom K.

• 4 weeks later...

post-49296-0-38207100-1453911413_thumb.jpg

Common Duiker Looking Over Its Back

Photographed at 4:21 pm on 24 January, 2016 at Leopard Hills Private Game Reserve, Sabi Sands, South Africa, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 250, 1/1600 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Manual exposure.

*****************************************************************************************************

I'd confided to the ranger and tracker at Leopard Hills that I had a special affection for Steenbok, Bushbuck and Common Duiker. Accordingly, they patiently paused for me to photograph those species whenever they appeared.

This Common Duiker was half-hidden at the edge of a forest clearing. Before it disappeared, it looked over its back at us, which was sufficiently long for this portrait.

• 1 month later...

post-49296-0-99840400-1458612903_thumb.jpg

Male Steenbok in Leopard Hills

Taken on 4 October, 2015 at 5:26 pm in Sabi Sands, South Africa, using an EOS 1D X camera with an EF 200mm f/2.8L II telephoto lens

ISO 125, f/2.8, 1/200 sec., 200mm handheld Manual exposure while on a game drive from Leopard Hills

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************

~ Ever since first visiting Africa I've had a special affinity for the smaller antelope species. When this male steenbok was spotted during an evening game drive I almost jumped up from my seat.

Their nervous fragility, constant vigilance and delicate features reflect natural selection's niche-specific results. Although not the first steenbok I'd seen, it was one of the finest sightings.

michael-ibk

Beautiful picture. I am very fond of Steenboks, endearing animals. Love their huge eyes.

• 8 months later...

CAVENDISH'S DIK-DIK. Madoqua cavendishi

(previously considered a subspecies of M. kirkii, see: Ungulate Taxonomy. Groves C & Grubb P. The John Hopkins University Press. 2011, Bovids of the World. Jose R. Castello. Princeton Field Guides. 2016.

The attached image was taken in July 2015, in Tarangire N.P.

Camera settings: 400mm f5.6 1/125 ISO 200.

post-50942-0-42938100-1482422375_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Ruaha, November 2014

post-48450-0-07750600-1494143520_thumb.jpg

MAASAI KLIPSPRINGER, Oreotragus schillingsi.

Image taken at dusk in the northern Serengeti near Sayari Camp, July 2015.

post-50942-0-67595700-1494252721_thumb.jpg

offshorebirder

Suni (multiple individuals) - Nairobi National Park, January 2017.

34060366786_47fce60f3e_o.jpg

34060357866_0b30652954_o.jpg

33716355200_3af57a90f6_o.jpg

33716348280_cbc5e2fdbe_o.jpg

33716335860_4601ba5dbf_o.jpg

KaingU Lodge

Not really a sighting per se, but last year we raised a very young common duiker that got separated from her mother and almost killed in a large wild fire that we were fighting. With the aid of a dropper bottle, later a baby bottle, some *elephant* formula from GRI, a LOT of eggs and milk and butter and a lot of patience and work she grew up well. We gradually introduced her to longer and longer stretches in the bush around our house. And eventually she disappeared off on her own as intended. For a long time she would come back in the evening for milk and couch time.

She was capable of 2m horizontal leaps onto the couch (to join us watching a movie) and provided endless amusement for the cat - she gave as good as she got! And I can now claim to have had a common duiker regularly confuse my ear for a milk producing organ.

I am not an advocate of lodges rearing pets from wild animals, and we never intended her to be a pet. It was either try raise her or leave her a bit burned and on her own with zero chance so we gave it a go. It was an absolutely fascinating insight and an amazing experience.

post-42446-0-32540700-1494346257_thumb.jpg

Bravo to you and Julia for the rescue, successful rearing and the release. Hopefully the duiker will make a success of her return to the wild. I wonder if she'll stay close by or wander further off.

Wishing you all at KaingU an excellent safari season.

• 1 month later...

594175247d127_KirksDik-dik.thumb.JPG.fe6821b4e0ee948d37919174ff62df4d.JPG

Kirk's Dik-dik

Photographed at 5:52 pm on 1 October, 2014 in Samburu National Reserve, Kenya, using an EOS 1D X camera and an EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II super-telephoto lens.

ISO 400, 1/2000 sec., f/2.8, 400mm focal length, handheld Shutter Priority exposure.

****************************************************************************************************

The alertness of this male Madoqua kirkii, Kirk's Dik-dik is reasonable. Not far off, browsing in bushes was a young Reticulated Giraffe, gradually moving towards the dik-dik's location.

What's not shown in the image is that a lion pride was resting in shade less than 100 meters away, including several cubs. A dik-dik's life is never easy in Samburu.

• 1 month later...

DAMARA DIK-DIK. Madoqua damarensis.

Male.

Image taken late afternoon (15.50) at Okonjima Wildlife Reserve, Namibia. July 2017. Female was also in the area.

400mm, ISO 250, f/5.6, 1/320. Very slight crop.

5U4A8562.jpg