Kenya the fabulous; Wild dogs of Laikipia; Malaika the show-stopper;Fantastic Mara Toto and Who said cheetahs are not seen too much in the Mara?

madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Quintessentially, Narasha ........... Currently, the oldest cheetah (amongst the ones that are regularly followed) in the Mara at approx 11-12 years of age. Amongst an overcast/gloomy sky she took us on a walk ........ It appeared like she was trying to find newly born gazelle fawn. From a couple of these side profile images, you can see that her wounds from a few months ago have completely healed up.....

Eventually, there was a downpour before sunset and the storm turned to a steady drizzle which meant we pulled down the shutters and just went back to camp.

post-308-0-53819300-1415458668_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-78104400-1415458783_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-64778000-1415458873_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-90764800-1415458970_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-78139800-1415459078_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-23460700-1415459183_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-51317300-1415459319_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-58491400-1415459407_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-10658900-1415459517_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-44946900-1415459702_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-26723400-1415459812_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-99213800-1415459911_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-72177000-1415460067_thumb.jpg

madaboutcheetah

@madaoutcheetah

Kgalagadi and Central Kalahari - December to April

Will have to try Kgalagadi.

I've already been to CKGR - both Tau Pan and a mobile safari with Ewan Masson; camping at Deception, Letiahou and Passarge ...... One night we witnessed the biggest Storm that I have ever encountered anywhere - massive violent T'storms and a dry sandy track turned into literally a flowing river in minutes!!!

It's really striking to see the difference in cheetah builds between the genders (posts #115 and 126), when you can directly compare them like this. Beautiful all, of course.

East African dogs are smaller, they also look slimmer and sleeker too I always thought. Not as fluffy and appealing as their cousins in the colder south perhaps? ;)

Awesome new landscape cheetah shots too. Background wildebeest are cool!

On 11/8/2014 at 3:27 PM, madaboutcheetah said:

On 11/8/2014 at 2:04 PM, Safaridude said:

@madaoutcheetah

Kgalagadi and Central Kalahari - December to April

Will have to try Kgalagadi.

I've already been to CKGR - both Tau Pan and a mobile safari with Ewan Masson; camping at Deception, Letiahou and Passarge ...... One night we witnessed the biggest Storm that I have ever encountered anywhere - massive violent T'storms and a dry sandy track turned into literally a flowing river in minutes!!!

When I was in CKGR a fierce storm raged while we were out in the afternoon. We came back to a mobile camp that was somewhat damaged. Several of the pit latrine toilets flipped over in the storm. But when it does clear up, the sky is beautiful and air clear. I have shots from Kgalagadi, for instance, that look like I've used a polarizing filter but I didn't.

Loved the cheetah sequence, and most of all the B&W you included.

Nice background to illuminate the cheetah as well. I would have loved to been following her with all the "actors' stepping in and out of the play :)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much for the continued interest in this report - Appreciate all the kind comments!

Our next character is an unknown young male Cheetah (unknown to Daniel; will send the images to Dr.Elena to id this male - will update with details later) ....

This young male was perhaps recently separated from his mother? The reason I say this, he displayed the most bizarre hunting behaviour ..... He would walk out in the open without any cover and would run randomly without any firm target. Not really sure what he was trying to do; he was skinny and hungry and he was not helping his cause by any stretch of imagination ...... The entire neighborhood was alerted to his presence. The result was a cacophony of alarm calls ranging from gazelle to gnu.

Naturally, given the cool conditions following solid cloud cover and an afternoon T'storm - the alarm calls alerted a big Lioness who was most likely already there and having a snooze. She had her eyes locked on this young male cheetah.

The final image in the series shows that the young male was down in a crouching position alert and stiff ......... Following this quick shot, We backed well back with the knowledge that the Lioness was going to charge at some point after the staring game. I wanted to be able to fit it into the frame.

Lo' and behold ...... what happens next - a self driver (nationality with-held) backs right into the frame just when the Lioness charges thereby botching up my chances to get the shots............. UGGHHHH!!!! He was highly apologetic and we just moved on ..... I was just thinking ("Dude what were you doing for the last 5 minutes???? Did you not see this coming!!!" ...... anyways, we shrugged it off.

Imagine August or September!!! ;)

post-308-0-62523400-1415514252_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-46596700-1415514381_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-04357500-1415514554_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-74659800-1415514663_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-70170300-1415514755_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-17546000-1415514885_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-40734400-1415514981_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-59524700-1415515091_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-35883900-1415515197_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-31832400-1415515298_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-37033400-1415515409_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-24986200-1415515553_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-84358200-1415515640_thumb.jpg

Love all these Kenya reports. NEEDED T O GO!

Continuing to enjoy this very much Hari. Thanks for making the effort, as I know how much time it takes to edit and post the photos when I'm sure that you have thousands.

Hari - amazing pics!!

Just trying to ID that male cheetah of yours from the last post - looks like it might be Narasha's male cub from her last litter but will double check with Elena. They have named him Noor which I think means light in Hindi?

madaboutcheetah

@@Double Dare - Please go to Kenya! It's a beautiful country.....

Thanks @@twaffle ..... Indeed - I don't even know how to sort out the Malaika images in particular .....

Thanks @@loafer247 ....... Dhruv, Thanks for the id ..... What's with all the Indian names? Hmmmm - Narasha split off with her cubs very early this year, correct?

@@madaboutcheetah - yes she split from the cubs at the end of last year. The female cub, Noora, I saw a couple of weeks ago. She is reported to have given birth to 4 cubs.

madaboutcheetah

Wow - Great news! ........... Let's hope for the best. The Mara right now is infested (for lack of a better word) with Lions (fragmented prides too - which means they are just about everywhere)

Question I have ...... I've seen plenty of images and TV footage from the Mara/Serengeti - where you have those fabulous complete Yellow/Red skies (dawn/dusk) in the dry season where there isn't a cloud in the sky. Perfect for all kinds of silhouettes ........ When might this be? What months???

I've had just those kinds of skies in January and early February. Stunningly brilliant sunrise and sunset photos with silhouettes and ever changing colours. I don't aim much for silhouettes, but even I couldn't resist. There should be a few in my Mara TRs from 2010, 2011 & last year although if I go on how I normally post pix, it will only be one or two posted.

madaboutcheetah

Thanks for the info, @@twaffle ........ Will look up your old reports over the weekend. One year down the road will have to try February ......

madaboutcheetah

This female Leopard in the reserve not far from Mara Toto - (Double Crossing). Being very close to Mara Toto, we had this sighting for a good hour (shared it with a group of photographers based at Kicheche) before the crowds started to arrive; at which point we left.

post-308-0-98251300-1415720912_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-78915300-1415721058_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-41599000-1415721314_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-19225000-1415721541_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-99207800-1415721698_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-92160600-1415721896_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-29290600-1415722038_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-65444500-1415722129_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-30345900-1415722234_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-07656500-1415722340_thumb.jpg

post-308-0-52296000-1415722439_thumb.jpg

Your report certainly makes me want to return to Kenya! I have a friend who wants to take his four adult kids and along with the wife so 6.Adults over 21....he wants WILDLIFE en masse; (but not the numbers of vehicles in Sept). I don't think the girls would want the walks Jud and I now take, so I was thinking Kenya or Bots.

I imagine I should tell him Mara in October. The ladies (3 of the 6) would want a real "Out Of Africa Experience" - I am sure Mara Plains or Toto would fit the bill

Did you request your guide, Hari? And how are their vehicles set up? Thanks!!

Awesome photos; I could just stare at these cats forever. :)

madaboutcheetah

Thanks so much @@TonyQ @@SSF556 and @@graceland

I'm sure they'd love Mara plains or Mara toto. I'd go back in a heartbeat to either one of them. Guide- you want either ping or Daniel. Ping is a super star and is often requested way in advance. Mine was a booking just about near last minute - about a month prior to the trip. I'm very happy with Daniel and he's guided me on three trips now. I got @@Sangeeta to get me Daniel via both Great Plains office and bush and beyond (the bookings office). I kept pestering the Mara plains managers and Daniel himself via Facebook. ;)

Vehicles- they are possibly the best in Kenya. They have either the four seated version or the six seater version. I'm sure for a party of six you will be able to get two vehicles (4 bucket seats). They are a classy operation overall. Go for it.

So I was set on Zambia for late 2015 early 2016...but Kenya is not at the top of the list....

First one .......... From yesterday morning

This is Mohawk; one of the Double Cross males.

Perfect Halloween colors in this timely post just a few days before!

You nailed the Ground Hornbill tossing shot. So many wonderful cheetah shots. Rani and the hyena is a great series, but not so great an outcome for Rani. That's how far I have gotten.

Edited by Atravelynn

Thanks so much @@TonyQ @@SSF556 and @@graceland

I'm sure they'd love Mara plains or Mara toto. I'd go back in a heartbeat to either one of them. Guide- you want either ping or Daniel. Ping is a super star and is often requested way in advance. Mine was a booking just about near last minute - about a month prior to the trip. I'm very happy with Daniel and he's guided me on three trips now. I got @@Sangeeta to get me Daniel via both Great Plains office and bush and beyond (the bookings office). I kept pestering the Mara plains managers and Daniel himself via Facebook. ;)

Vehicles- they are possibly the best in Kenya. They have either the four seated version or the six seater version. I'm sure for a party of six you will be able to get two vehicles (4 bucket seats). They are a classy operation overall. Go for it.

Thanks so much @madaboutcheetah; I think I need to go with them! I had heard of Ping through Anitas experience,but as a "superstar" it is good to know the others are not far behind.

I may wish I were going with @@Kitsafari and @@SafariChick in Feb. I do believe they are going to M. Plains, (sigh) Not a good time for me to travel, but maybe I can reroute things...

Or try to get a deal with my friend, my dentist if I help organize his 2016 safari!! Afterall my teeth will probably be paying for it :unsure:

I'll chat with Sangeeta when she and Safarchick return.

It appears you had a fabulous time and it did make me miss the Mara/Kenya from our 2010 adventure....thanks for the help!

Such a fabulous report I was having intense feelings of missing Kenya.

How do you feel it compares to your beloved Bots camps??? (If you want to share; if not I understand; hard to choose a fav. child :D )

madaboutcheetah

Thanks, Lynn ......

@@graceland ...... Chalk and cheese comparison. To me, Lebala and second Lagoon are my favourite spots in Botswana.

The Mara is a completely different cup of tea. Those big skies; the plains game in their numbers (even if you don't see any of the migration); Cheetah and Lion in their numbers you won't encounter anywhere else ....... In my opinion, Great Plains tries to re-create the Botswana experience to the best of their ability(Maybe even a notch higher???) ...... Very high levels of service(in camp and flexible ethos). I've not done the Serengeti properly as yet ...... So far, the Mara in my book is way better in every way. I can't judge though, until I am with a proper guide in the serengeti(most important X factor on safari)

Kwando has my loyalty because of their awesome wilderness space and their ultra-flexible ethos, along with my guide Spencer who probably has guided me well over 150 days, so it obviously works!

Great Plains Kenya too in my book is just the same in terms of flexibility. Schedules tailor made to what one wants and all the small details taken care of - both in camp and in the bush.

I do think the ladies are going to Mara Plains, but, also combining with another camp I think (you will have to check when they return). While Mara Plains is the more posh camp (copper bath tub, room as big as a Central Park apartment) ...... I don't think Mara Toto lacks service standards by any stretch. SUPERB.

Edited by madaboutcheetah

madaboutcheetah

Talking about this last minute booking - let me run you down through the process ......

I wanted a short quick getaway which included at least one stop that I hadn't been to prior.

Options came down to

A.) Ruaha and just stay there

B.) A serengeti combo - Northern Serengeti plus Namiri Plains (their promotions were really looking very good).

Neither materialized because A.) Ruaha had the threat of early rains and I just wanted to spend a week there if I went. and the serengeti didn't materialize as there were lots of cancellations on the bush flights - Coastal etc etc., and they wanted me to pay for upto 3 seats which I thought was ridiculous.

Mara and LWC was the quick alternate chosen.