Tsavo West, Amboseli, Meru & Samburu — January, 2015

Tom Kellie

Tom, sorry I missed your birthday, and I hope you have a wonderful year.

What a trip report this has been, thank you for the effort!

And another Happy Birthday / Vse najboljše Tom, from distant by kilometres but so close by internet Slovenia!

Your truly epic trip report brought Kenya close to my heart, and I am looking forward with anticipation our first visit there. Adrian might be out of the kindergarten by then but I am sure Kenya will not lost much if any of its charm you have portrayed so well and in-depth. Once more, big Thank You!

A belated happy birthday to you Tom! And thank you for such a wonderful trip report! I so love to read your prose as well as be spoiled silly by your photos. You bring me to Kenya every time I sit at my desk with your photos in front of me!

Must say I enjoyed the God's Will Rice Store. Almost enough to make you hesitate to shop at a competitor...

Gorgeous (and highly interesting) photos.

Another belated happy birthday from me. Your Samburu finale was incredible, Leopard and Cheetahs, wow. Really enjoyed the "on the road' shots as well.

This was an outstanding, very special report, full of detail and passion for Kenya and all creatures great and small! Bravo, Tom, and congrats on finishing it, this was a lot of work for you.

Looking forward to the next one, and curious which format you will choose to do.

• 1 month later...

~ I'm very pleased to announce to the Safaritalk community that Anthony Gitau of Bigmacafrica Safaris, who is largely responsible for the many high points and superb sightings during this safari, has joined Safaritalk within the past few days.

His wife, Maggie, told me that he joined several days ago under the name @@Anthony Gitau.

I have the highest respect for Anthony, who has made eight safaris in Kenya experiences of wildlife education, photography, and getting to know Kenya from a Kenyan viewpoint.

Certainly I strongly recommend Anthony, his wife Maggie, and Bigmacafrica Safaris to anyone interested in visiting Kenya.

This trip report in large measure reflects Maggie's skills in planning safaris and Anthony's skills a photography-oriented guide.

Best of all, I've learned that Anthony and Maggie will soon welcome their second child.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Thank you for a wonderful report (sorry for coming to the final section so late but I think I was distracted by your South Africa trip!)

In the later section I really enjoyed your leopard and cheetah encounters - so well photographed in fading light. The two cheetahs photos used the narrow depth of field really well to focus the attention of the viewer.

It was then very enjoyable to see the Kenya of people, making a living.

It has been an epic report, and it has shown me that details in the environment, in plants and insects are fascinating in themselves.

A belated happy birthday.

Welcome to Safaritalk @Anthony Gitau

• 4 weeks later...

~ I'm very pleased to announce that @@Anthony Gitau's wife, Maggie, gave birth to a healthy baby boy a few hours ago, in Nairobi.

It's Anthony and Maggie's second child and second son.

Anthony was the bedrock of the safari described in this trip report, without whom none of the sightings would have been possible.

Throughout eight safaris in Kenya, Anthony's intelligence, wit, insight and kindness, and Maggie's friendliness, common sense and organizational skills have resulted in superb safaris.

Tom K.

I congratulate all at Gitau's family! It seems that Bigmac Africa Safaris has got another member that will carry on what his father (and mother) have started! Indeed an excellent news,

• 1 month later...

~ @@Peter Connan:

After today, I'm a bit clearer on what's effective.

Finding an equilibrium point which is comfortable for most is what I'd like.

BTW: There will be lions and elephants...later.

I've never seen a hovering Black-shouldered Kite, aside from in photos.

Macro photography opens up a safari on a different scale. Beetles, ants, bees, dragonflies and butterflies deserve their time in the limelight.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

I just finished page 7 so I have a looooong way to go but I'm very much enjoying your report. I just wanted to comment on what is effective. We all see different things on safari and see things differently as well. Getting new ideas and reading different types of reports as well as being part of a like minded community are the key things that make Safaritalk work so well for me. You convinced me to do a trip report and I thank you for it as it turned into a very enjoyable experience. Reading your report as well as some others can make this a very intimidating task so while my writing will never come close to yours I think I did ok and it gave a different viewpoint. With almost 40! pages to go I'd say keep doing what you are doing but its obvious you did!

I also want to add that I'm enjoying you bringing me back to the rhino sanctuary in Tsavo. One of my best ever sightings happened here and the memories have come flowing back.

@@Tom Kellie

Lovely shots of Kilimanjaro, they are something I will be striving to recreate in October. Just looking at them brings back a strong desire for me to climb it again. Many other good shots as well and I love all the roadside pictures as well.

• 4 weeks later...

@@Tom Kellie

I just finished page 23 Tom and this might be my favourite part of the report yet! The ears forward rhino is great and those are some lovely waterbuck. The hippo are always great and I love seeing the hippo sign which has inspired another pet name for me. With Tashinga's ever increasing size surely Kiboko would have been a more appropiate name. You are increasing my anticipation of Meru by the page!

• 2 years later...

rhodes.png.3fedc6490170df10f3a8cfa33599d503.png

Dr. XU Ni (徐铌) of Peking University who was on this safari,

is now a 2017 Rhodes Scholar in Oxford University

You must be very proud of this young man Tom.

• 2 years later...

~ The travel companion on this trip report, shown above, has gone on to win a number of research prizes for his work as a Rhodes Scholar in Oxford.

During the safari described in this trip report, he'd emphasized his desire to convert his life experiences into practical ways to help others.

That has indeed been the case. 

Tom K.