Tsavo West, Amboseli, Meru & Samburu — January, 2015

Tom Kellie

Totally agree with @@twaffle - I tried to copy them this afternoon. The lessons did not stick; could not work it; but enjoying as well. I'v never seen them so beautifully captured with the giraffe. Great job, Tom!

The frog capture … a winning sighting for sure. You also have some lovely shots of the snows of Kilimanjaro. Excellent.

~ @@twaffle:

Thanks so much!

As I mentioned to @@Tdgraves, above, I hesitated about posting the egret and the frog.

I wasn't sure about its suitability. As you're a Moderator, I feel reassured.

The Kilimanjaro shots were a joy to take, as the clouds stayed away.

In two prior visits to Amboseli, it was never feasible to make unobstructed summit images.

While writing an uploading this trip report, I continue to read archived trip reports from many Safaritalk members.

What I notice is that three qualities stand out for those reports, or postings within reports, which are most well received.

• Novelty, as in seeing a very rare species or going to a seldom visited park or reserve

• Drama, as in kill sequences, territorial bouts, or gory eating

• Proximity, as in very close, detailed images where the subject is hyper-clear

As I never have visited any unusual location, almost never have seen anything very dramatic, other than occasional birds with prey, and tend to take images with ample environmental context, as that's what my ecology students prefer for their studies, I've struggled with which images to upload, in order to satisfy Safaritalk members.

Most of my safari images have been along the line of still lifes. In ecological research, that's what graduate students do, to thereby record and analyze as many environmental factors as possible. Had my specialization been ethology, it might have better prepared me for safari photography.

Therefore your very kind, encouraging comments mean a lot to me, @@twaffle, encouraging me to continue.

Oddly enough, despite the less active nature of the subjects in my safari images, two of the most active sequences I've ever witnessed or photographed are among the next Amboseli images to be uploaded.

With Appreciation,

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Totally agree with @@twaffle - I tried to copy them this afternoon. The lessons did not stick; could not work it; but enjoying as well. I'v never seen them so beautifully captured with the giraffe. Great job, Tom!

~ @graceland:

If you liked them, I'm happy!

Somehow I felt indebted to that elderly giraffe for being such an accommodating model with Mt. Kilimanjaro.

Maybe a model fee needed to be paid in acacia leaves.

Thank you for continuing to encourage me!

Tom K.

My "kills" also usually consist of insects etc. as well! We managed a scorpion, a tortoise, a squirrel and a mouse on our recent trip to the KTP though.....

~ @Tdgraves:

Wow! I've never even seen a scorpion in my life, anywhere!

What you've said about your experience is fairly similar to my experience.

I once saw a mouse killed by a Secretary Bird in Masai Mara.

I've seen distant raptors swoop down to catch ‘something’, which inevitably remained unidentified.

But when I think about it, the #1 killers in my experience have been bee-eaters.

They have the habit of flying back to their perch-of-choice, prey in bill, waiting and then swallowing.

Their characteristic behavior is such that we photographers have a narrow ‘window of opportunity’ to make interesting images.

Bee-eaters, the safari photographer's friend.

To a lesser extent, both shrikes and kingfishers occasionally make photo-worthy kills. They usually swiftly gulp prey, but not always.

Hornbills also make kills, although they're often secretive about it.

Egrets and herons with small fish or invertebrates also come to mind.

The only mammal that I've ever seen hunt and kill another animal was a young female leopard with a ground squirrel in Samburu, late one morning.

The most frequent killers? Possibly swallows and bats, but who's ever able to photograph their faster than lightning mid-air catches?

Therefore I'm like you, with insects being #1, and bee-eaters ranking first for photogenicity.

Maybe this indicates something about the food chain, that insects are the primary kill observed during safaris.

Thank you for telling me about your recent experience.

Tom K.

COSMIC RHINO

@@Tom Kellie

so you have a range of interests just like everyone else, but perhaps your comments will mainly be on travel and photography so as not to get the interest of govt monitors

@@Tom Kellie

Wow! Love the Superb Starling photos in #95

And also the wire tailed swallow!

@@Tom Kellie

so you have a range of interests just like everyone else, but perhaps your comments will mainly be on travel and photography so as not to get the interest of govt monitors

~ @@COSMIC RHINO:

Yes, exactly.

Thank you very much for understanding.

One might say that I've switched off the circuit breakers to several vital topics in the long-term interest of being able to continue to teach conservation issues to my university students.

It's one of those tradeoffs where a loss is counterbalanced by a gain elsewhere.

When I first lived in these conditions I felt stifled. I've since come to realize that working where I do may have greater long-run positive impact than if I were to leave for a work situation which was less complex.

Discussion of travel and photography is a pleasure in and of itself as there's very limited opportunity to do so where I live now, where the single-minded focus of most around me is upon their personal economic interests.

I really appreciate your understanding, as this is a reality of my life, for the time being.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie

Wow! Love the Superb Starling photos in #95

And also the wire tailed swallow!

~ Hello, @@ZaminOz!

You've just taught me something which I should have recognized before, but didn't.

When I read your warmly supportive comment, I wondered what ‘#95’ might mean.

After thinking for a bit and looking at the trip report, I saw that each post is numbered.

I'd never noticed that. ‘Careless and inattentive to detail’, says the teacher to the teacher.

I'm so pleased that you liked the bird images. I'm not even remotely qualified to claim to be a birder.

I do like to photograph natural beauty, of which birds have plenty.

Of the four parks I visited during the most recent safari, Tsavo West had the highest concentration of birds.

I truly hope that future images might also be of interest.

Tom K.

~ @Tdgraves:

Thank you for liking the ‘Bubulcus ibis Catching a Frog’ images.

That reassures me, as I'd wondered if such photos might be a bit too graphic.

In a sense, they're almost the only ‘kill’ shots during the safari, as I never saw any predators eating a kill.

I tried to iudentify the frog species, as there's considerable detail when the images are magnified.

My African amphibian resources are limited, and online searching wasn't much better, especially as Google is no longer available in Beijing.

At later stages of the safari, there may be comparable images, but that remains a way off, as I've just concluded day #3 of the safari report.

I appreciate your interest and encouragement.

Tom K.

@@Tom Kellie you saw a kill! great catch. that's not too graphic. I thought the photos I had of the lion-buffalo battle in South luangwa more graphic. :(

love the greensocks on the elephants.

Several minutes after entering Amboseli National Park,

we spotted a large elephant well positioned for our

line-of-sight with Mt. Kilimanjaro. After stopping to

photograph it, more elephants arrived. We remained

long enough for me to switch lenses. The Zeiss

135mm lens generally delivered the finest images.

The full-size version of the ‘Elephants, Acacias,

Mt. Kilimanjaro Panorama’ is liked by my students.

post-49296-0-23478700-1428925219_thumb.jpg

Elephant and Zebras Beneath Kilimanjaro

post-49296-0-15785400-1428925302_thumb.jpg

Kilimanjaro and Elephant Panorama

post-49296-0-18895800-1428925373_thumb.jpg

Kilimanjaro Panorama

post-49296-0-68091200-1428925426_thumb.jpg

Elephants, Acacias, Mt. Kilimanjaro Panorama

post-49296-0-80586000-1428925519_thumb.jpg

Elephants Are Able to Rapidly Move Travel Distances

post-49296-0-66352200-1428925704_thumb.jpg

A Mighty Backdrop

post-49296-0-59358900-1428925823_thumb.jpg

Mt. Kilimanjaro with Loxodonta africana

Edited by Tom Kellie

@@Tom Kellie you saw a kill! great catch. that's not too graphic. I thought the photos I had of the lion-buffalo battle in South luangwa more graphic. :(

love the greensocks on the elephants.

~ @Kitsafari:

Thanks for that reassurance.

I'm still finding my way about what constitutes good taste and what's too outré.

That's not an idle or hypothetical question.

On the tenth day of the safari, in late afternoon at Samburu, we witnessed and photographed something which we all found disturbing on many levels, although perhaps fully natural behavior.

When the time comes, I'll consult others at Safaritalk about that subject before posting any photos.

One hesitates to breach community norms.

Your lion-buffalo battle was graphic, leaving me queasy. Nevertheless, that's life.

The greensocks made me smile, as the elephants were so well-dressed.

Tom K.

Edited by Tom Kellie

Classic elephant and Kilimanjaro … very beautiful.

There are no community norms when it comes to posting photos of the natural world, at least none that I've noticed. You post what you find interesting and if people find them too confronting they can move on.

Remember that this is a compilation of photos and stories that reflect your experience on this safari so present it the way you want to. You'll be able to look back on it in the years to come and the memories will flood back.

The only things that aren't tolerated by Matt are anything remotely libellous, copyright infringements, and personal attacks on each other. I can't see that you'll have any trouble with those matters.

Classic elephant and Kilimanjaro … very beautiful.

There are no community norms when it comes to posting photos of the natural world, at least none that I've noticed. You post what you find interesting and if people find them too confronting they can move on.

Remember that this is a compilation of photos and stories that reflect your experience on this safari so present it the way you want to. You'll be able to look back on it in the years to come and the memories will flood back.

The only things that aren't tolerated by Matt are anything remotely libellous, copyright infringements, and personal attacks on each other. I can't see that you'll have any trouble with those matters.

~ @twaffle:

From a practical perspective, that's very good to know.

Thank you for explaining that. I'll certainly remain with those community norms.

I'm glad that you liked the elephant and Kilimanjaro images. It was a thrilling moment to record.

There were no other vehicles around at that time, thus very pleasant.

I have a few images of possible interest involving a confrontation between two species which I'll post tonight or tomorrow.

With Thanks,

Tom K.

post-49296-0-11598500-1428933759_thumb.jpg

Oenanthe isabellina on a Bush with Small Berries

~ When I took this image of Oenanthe isabellina, Isabelline Wheatear, I especially liked the blowing grass in the background. Later during the game drive it was clear that numerous Oenanthe isabellina were present in Amboseli.

post-49296-0-50992900-1428934033_thumb.jpg

Plenty of Perches

This dead tree was familiar to me from two prior visits to Amboseli, showing that wood persists over years, as part of the landscape. In each prior occasion a raptor had perched on it. On this safari, it was Gyps africanus which perched on it.

post-49296-0-22678500-1428934281_thumb.jpg

Gyps africanus

We never determined what was attracting Gyps africanus, African White-backed Vulture, to a particular area. They were circling overhead, yet also moving. This vulture perched on a branch in the dead tree shown above.

post-49296-0-20476600-1428934530_thumb.jpg

Lanius collaris with Loxodonta africana

Lanius collaris, Common Fiscal, is shown here with Loxodonta africana, African Elephant, as the dark background. The small predator. The immense herbivore. Living side-by-side in harmony, albeit not of an ebony and ivory sort.

post-49296-0-74920300-1428934815_thumb.jpg

A Pair of Vanellus coronatus

These Vanellus coronatus, Crowned Lapwing, were beside the track. Seeing them brought back memories of my first safari, when the high population of Vanellus coronatus in Masai Mara amazed me.

With the time zones so different between us @@Tom Kellie, I am returning to one -

post-5364-0-58685400-1428936942_thumb.jpg

This sums up an Amboselli Moment for me

Quite a beauty Tom

Now I will continue on with your excellent writings on Amboseli!

FlyTraveler

Amazing trip narration and images @@Tom Kellie! Too many great photos to point individual ones. Love the various animals with Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background, Mt. Kilimanjaro without animals, as well... I really enjoyed Amboseli NP, been there just for one day and unfortunately Mt. Kilimanjaro was covered with clouds...

Absolutely fabulous trip report, I enjoy reading it and watching the images very much!

Edited by FlyTraveler

As in Tsavo West, there was a healthy population of

baby elephants in Amboseli, more than I remembered

seeing in the prior two years. Their hijinks attracted

the lens, with or without Kilimanjaro in the background.

post-49296-0-60352200-1428937168_thumb.jpg

Catching Up with Mama

post-49296-0-36019200-1428937321_thumb.jpg

Amboseli Elephant Family

post-49296-0-64424200-1428937400_thumb.jpg

Elephant Infants Have Black Downy Fur

post-49296-0-06699900-1428937489_thumb.jpg

Jaunty

post-49296-0-78477100-1428937559_thumb.jpg

Ears Swept Back

post-49296-0-80963100-1428937702_thumb.jpg

Volcano Above, Elephant Below

post-49296-0-03888700-1428938001_thumb.jpg

Tusks and Glaciers

post-49296-0-82051200-1428938131_thumb.jpg

A Small Tusk

michael-ibk

Just fabulous Ele-Kili-pictures, really love these! Such a quintessential safari image!

Much as I admired the Kilimanjaro and the baby elephant pictures, I found the wheateater picture fascinating. II've never seen this bird. It's a simple but lovely picture of such a pretty bird perched on the branch, framed by the grass stalks and supported by a contrasting patch of green leaves.

With the time zones so different between us @@Tom Kellie, I am returning to one -

attachicon.gifpost-49296-0-68091200-1428925426.jpg

This sums up an Amboselli Moment for me

Quite a beauty Tom

Now I will continue on with your excellent writings on Amboseli!

post-49296-0-88970800-1428940213_thumb.jpg

~ @graceland:

The full-sized image is my students favorite. If it was possible to see it in the full-size original, it is one of those rare moments in life when magic happens in front of your eyes.

Except that it's not magic, it's life.

Nature has its ways, which we darned lucky safaristas get to see in Africa.

If Mr. Graceland ever gets a hankering for East Africa, why not work in a couple of nights at the foot of Tanzania's treasure — Mt. Kilimanjaro?

As ever, your stalwart encouragement keeps me typing and uploading.

Tom K.

Amazing trip narration and images @@Tom Kellie! Too many great photos to point individual ones. Love the various animals with Mt. Kilimanjaro in the background, Mt. Kilimanjaro without animals, as well... I really enjoyed Amboseli NP, been there just for one day and unfortunately Mt. Kilimanjaro was covered with clouds...

Absolutely fabulous trip report, I enjoy reading it and watching the images very much!

~ @FlyTraveler:

You are just too generous!

When I start feeling as though my writing might not be satisfactory, I read your overly generous comments.

Thank you, so so much for regularly reading this ongoing trip report.

Seeing your ‘footprints’ boosts my flagging energy.

I'm sorry that Mt. Kilimanjaro didn't share its beauty with you.

There are more Amboseli photos yet to come, which may be of interest.

With Much Appreciation,

Tom K.

Just fabulous Ele-Kili-pictures, really love these! Such a quintessential safari image!

~ @michael-ibk:

That's such an encouragement for me to read.

Many, many big thanks for taking time to tell me.

Your generous words about those images makes it all worthwhile.

When I was taking those images, with the elephants parading by, I was thinking to myself that I was directly experiencing a classic moment.

You confirm that.

Your frequent visits to this trip report are such a gift to me.

With Hearty Appreciation,

Tom K.

Much as I admired the Kilimanjaro and the baby elephant pictures, I found the wheateater picture fascinating. II've never seen this bird. It's a simple but lovely picture of such a pretty bird perched on the branch, framed by the grass stalks and supported by a contrasting patch of green leaves.

~ @Kitsafari:

Really?

I'm delighted to know that. Truth be told, before this most recent safari I too was unfamiliar with wheatears.

Yet in recent weeks, when looking at photos from safaris past, I've seen that I'd previously photographed it.

What I hadn't yet done was to identify it in a field guide.

You noticed exactly why I selected it — the leaves and grass stalks.

That's so cool to have someone else see and appreciate the same visual elements!

Thank you for telling me.

Tom K.

Equus quagga Aggression

A serious fight broke out between two Equus quagga.

Such occasional behavior is characteristic to their

species, but nevertheless was unsettling to watch.

They nipped, bit, head-butted, kicked and reared

up on two legs. We watched for ten minutes until

it concluded with submission on bended knee.

post-49296-0-41682200-1428942280_thumb.jpg

Equus quagga Triptych

post-49296-0-56219100-1428942344_thumb.jpg

Nasty Nipping

post-49296-0-75432900-1428942401_thumb.jpg

Painful Neck Bite

post-49296-0-83836900-1428942456_thumb.jpg

Raised Up in Combat

post-49296-0-27240500-1428942509_thumb.jpg

Aggressive Use of Teeth

post-49296-0-68343600-1428942560_thumb.jpg

Raised Hooves