Green Season in South Africa, Victoria Falls, and Botswana

hguy47

In response to your kind comments and questions:

Tom K

· That is Lisbon Falls on the Panorama Route.

· We were very lucky with leopards on our trip. We probably had about 12 separate sightings, including at least three different pairs of mother and sub-adult cubs, two of the pairs the same afternoon.

Seniortraveller, when we were parked near the leopard with the nostril injury you could easily hear her wheezing, but she seems to be doing OK.

KathBC,

· The male lion’s lady friend apparently also thought he was handsome -- they were very friendly with each other, several times.

· That picture you asked about would be the “urinal” in the men’s toilet at the Potluck Bush Kitchen on the Panorama Route. The other end of the PVC pipe ended up at the bottom of the long-drop toilet on the other side of the bamboo wall.

· I was using my new Canon SX60 camera, almost always on “Auto.” It’s not very large until you zoom out the lens, which extends it from about 1 inch to about 3 inches. All the photos I added in this topic are as taken, with no processing, cropping, etc., so hopefully they’ll be better before I put them in my official album – along with a few hundred more, of course.

Marg and Graceland, no, we didn’t raise a fuss about having ten in our vehicle. We knew that it might happen sometime and the others in our vehicle were nice folks, so we didn’t let it detract from our fun.

These photos are wonderful! The first leopard shot and the browsing male kudu in particular are standouts with great lighting.

Just catching up with this Trip Report... I am a bit behind with everything :( We all get these times..............

Anyway I really enjoyed this and you got some superb predator and bird shots.

I also like the one of the the rocky gorge. Very attractive.

Thanks for posting.

In response to your kind comments and questions:

Tom K

· That is Lisbon Falls on the Panorama Route.

· We were very lucky with leopards on our trip. We probably had about 12 separate sightings, including at least three different pairs of mother and sub-adult cubs, two of the pairs the same afternoon.

~ @hguy47:

Thank you for telling me about Lisbon Falls — entirely new to me.

Oh my goodness, such a wealth of leopards!

Your safari is dreamy, from my perspective.

Many thanks for sharing it on Safaritalk!

Tom K.

IMG_5482-001.JPG

Soooo handsome! Love the part in the mane!

~ @KathBC:

I missed that, I'm glad that you mentioned it.

It does look like a part!

Funny! Who's his barber?

Tom K.

• 2 weeks later...
FlyTraveler

What a nice safari itinerary @@hguy47! I enjoyed very much the photos, can not believe that they are taken with a point and shoot camera, they are sharp, even the long ones. Would you share with us the make and the model camera that you used for taking these photos? Thanks for writing this report!

• 4 weeks later...

FlyTraveler, I mentioned in a previous post that I was using a Canon SX60, almost always on "Auto."

Hmmm, very sneaky! These look like much more than the casual photos of a point and shoot guy!!

Lovely TR - thank you for persevering through - next time will be a piece of cake!

• 2 weeks later...
Atravelynn

"Oops, I left out the cheetahs." Cardinal sin! But you rectified it. The cheetah wild dog encounter had to be fascinating. Two highly sought after species together! Of course one might have eliminated some of the other, which would have been horrendous to observe. But they all walked away and you drove away with some wild tales.

Great shots, so it was worth your time to learn how to post them. The double spider is unique. Your sunrise/sunset shots are gorgeous. So is Lisbon Falls. Thanks for telling us what falls it was. Your animal shots all show nice poses or interesting behavior.

RE 10 people in vehicle: At good value places like Arathusa (Elephant Plains I believe as well) there is a high likelihood of a full vehicle. That's one of the tradeoffs for an economical trip. If going with friends, at least your group is a big % of the total in the vehicle, so you can exert some control based on #s. It is good to know in advance the max possible sharing a vehicle so you are aware what the conditions may be. It did not seem to hinder your photos. No cropping or nothing, eh? Wow! The SX60 got the job done, along with the photographer! Will the urinal and pipe shot make it into the official album?

Let me ask you this: When you were stopped at sightings, was the vehicle shaky with people moving around in it? Were there people with big cameras that got in the way?

Are your friends who are now seasoned safari-ers ready for another trip to Africa? If not, at least you'll have lots to reminisce about from this trip and maybe swap some photos. Yours will be sought after. I'm sure you could see the photographic learning curve after your first trip, where photos improve each time.

Thanks for posting @@hguy47.

Edited by Atravelynn

Atravelynn

Will the urinal and pipe shot make it into the official album? Of course! My friend said they could have made the pipe a couple of inches shorter. What a braggart.

When you were stopped at sightings, was the vehicle shaky with people moving around in it? Not too much, but sometimes at 65 zoom I'm the one doing most of the shaking. Were there people with big cameras that got in the way? Again, not much, most of the others only had small cameras, too, some of them just cellphones.

Are your friends who are now seasoned safari-ers ready for another trip to Africa? Like most of us, they were already thinking of the next trip on the flight home. If not, at least you'll have lots to reminisce about from this trip and maybe swap some photos. Yours will be sought after. Thanks, you are very kind. I'm sure you could see the photographic learning curve after your first trip, where photos improve each time. My photos may have improved some over time, but I just take a lot so if even 10% come out OK it's all good.

Think I was at Kwara while you were at Little Kwara,so maybe responsible for it being "full".

The dog/cheetah stand off happened just after we had been with them,folk returning to camp after us had seen it.

It's a small world !