Following the Herds - Mkomazi, Tarangire, Serengeti and Manyara Ranch Conservancy - February 2015

Safaridude

@@Safaridude I finally had the time that I knew I’d need to read, view, absorb and properly appreciate this report.

Love the writing and all those magnificent and haunting images of the wildlife and landscapes.

A superb report from go to whoa.

I’m intrigued to know the meaning of korongo in post 78.

Also I’ve been fascinated to learn more about Mkomazi NP.

In Born Wild Tony Fitzjohn refers to the difficulties experienced in reintroducing wild dogs to the park and to the project to relocate black rhino. Have both species been breeding successfully in recent years and is there a problem with poaching the rhino?

Hope you don’t mind me pestering you with questions but I'd be interested to hear a little more about Babu’s Camp – quality and type of accommodation, size etc.

Many thanks.

I’m intrigued to know the meaning of korongo in post 78.

~ @Caracal:

Does ‘korongo’ mean ‘canyon’?

Tom K.

You could well be right @@Tom Kellie.

My initial thoughts were a gully but then I think of a gully as a donga.

I'm not willing to place any bets! - but rather will await final resolution.

You could well be right @@Tom Kellie.

My initial thoughts were a gully but then I think of a gully as a donga.

I'm not willing to place any bets! - but rather will await final resolution.

~ @Caracal:

Once we receive a definitive answer, I'll add it to my growing list of ‘safari terms’.

Safaritalk is turning out to be a potent vocabulary builder.

Tom K.

@@Caracal @@Tom Kellie

A korongo is a gully, or perhaps a depression containing water (or at least moisture).

It is also a word to describe roan antelope in Swahili (perhaps descriptive of one of roan's favored habitats).

@@Caracal

There have been translocations of wild dogs taking place in Tanzania in the last year or so. In and out of some places you would not expect. There are conflicting verbal and horribly written reports on this, and it is difficult to figure out exactly what is going on at Mkomazi with respect to wild dogs. Even if they weren't successful at Mkomazi, the dogs from Tsavo can move in and out.

Rhinos are still there… whether they are in a fenced sanctuary or not, I don't know. We were close at one point to where the fenced sanctuary is supposed to be at one point, and we could see observation posts up on the hills (presumably the rangers would have a bird's eye view from these posts). But we did not see any fences.

We had no real intention of going to the sanctuary (we just happen to skirt by by chance), and thus the reason for my lack of useful information.

@@Caracal @@Tom Kellie

A korongo is a gully, or perhaps a depression containing water (or at least moisture).

It is also a word to describe roan antelope in Swahili (perhaps descriptive of one of roan's favored habitats).

~ @Safaridude:

Duly noted with much appreciation.

Your trip reports are especially helpful for regular inclusion of relevant Swahili terms.

That's exactly what I've wanted, in order to more effectively communicate with Anthony, my highly reliable guide, who speaks English as well or better than I do.

I have a small Swahili phrasebook, but what I'm compiling for myself is a glossary of safari terms likely to be used over and beyond individual species names.

Added to that are the smattering of South African terms — Afrikaans? — which crop up here and there.

Therefore a special thanks to you for the Swahili terms which are a welcome feature of your trip reports.

I'm far too much of a newbie to confidently use very many, but as appropriate my trip report is including a few Swahili words.

With Thanks,

Tom K.

I am moved at reliving my first safari experience with my cousin who is not only a passionate conservationist and gifted photographer, but who is also a kind, generous and patient human who taught me so much during our short time in Tanzania. Thank you @@Safaridude for sharing the trip of a lifetime. I am truly grateful.

@@Safaridude

As usual simply amazing, inspiring photography and reportage!

A privilage to read/view! Thanks.

@@Safaridude

A great report with really stunning photographs - exceptionally high quality. The dawn photographs, wildcat!, the huge herds, and the lions' eyes. Wonderful - thank you.

madaboutcheetah

Just brilliant report and images, @@Safaridude - just caught up with it!!!! Thank You!!! Manyara ranch is on my list now hopefully in a couple of years time...

Super LEEDS

Thanks for sharing @@Safaridude,very interested in Mkomazi having just finished Fitzjohn's book.

Too much commenting going on, not enough reporting. Calm down people!! He only saw 1 honey badger, it's not all that....

• 3 weeks later...
Atravelynn

Page 1

I want to read your wife's reply to that letter!

Of course I love the cheetah photos, but that wilde carcass is exquisite.

What a great Leaping Eland action shot!

I had heard that the rains started very early and so did the migration. All dry in mid-Feb according to your observations. Maybe I got the wrong info?

Atravelynn

@@graceland

Fortunately, there are several guides and tourists actively reporting bad behavior to the authorities and to the tour companies directly. Just this morning, believe it or not, I found out that one tour company actually suspended one of its drivers (not involved in the incident I witnessed but involved in a separate cheetah incident).

That's good news. Your sequence of photos teaching the cheetah cubs to kill was fantastic. The interference really ticked me off.

"The circle made by the vehicles is too constrictive. " Terrible for the cheetah but not good for the occupants of the vehicles who are shooting shots of other vehicles.

Through page 3: The skies, the sunrises or sets--spectacular. Or as Joe Cocker would say, "You are so beautiful to me."

The vehicle behavior and #s is nothing like I experienced in the past 2 recent green season Ndutu trips. I wonder if #s are soaring due to Kenya's troubles.

Edited by Atravelynn

Safaridude

Page 1

I want to read your wife's reply to that letter!

Of course I love the cheetah photos, but that wilde carcass is exquisite.

What a great Leaping Eland action shot!

I had heard that the rains started very early and so did the migration. All dry in mid-Feb according to your observations. Maybe I got the wrong info?

@@Atravelynn

I am afraid to read it! :huh:

The Rains were good in December and early January, so the migration was good and the birthing began early. Then the rains completely stopped from mid-January to mid-February when there were just a few showers. Then the heavens opened up in late March… the wildebeests had gone into the Western Corridor and some even into northern Serengeti and they turned back to the Ndutu area. Apparently, they are still milling around southern and central Serengeti. So, the trek to the Western Corridor may actually be late this year.

Safaridude

@@Atravelynn,

Certainly, Tanzania received visitors who otherwise would have gone to Kenya, but still while I was there in Feb I heard TZ wasn't all that full.

I think it was a case of a few cheetahs being very visible in the Ndutu area during those days.

Atravelynn

Your explanations from weather to cheetah all make sense, even your fear of you wife's letter is a logical response!

TravelinTeacherAU

Thanks so much for sharing these images and thoughts. It was a pleasure to be along for the ride.

Thank you for posting these first class pictures. They are technically perfect.

Some people would have waited months to see a big cat attack, for instance in Torres del Paine, Chile, no one has ever taken a picture of a puma killing!

It is thus astonishing for me enjoying your cheetah killings. Serengeti is absolutely fantastic, full of surprises. Black storms in the skye give something really special.

heidifinger

We were in the Ndutu area from March 4 to March 8, 2015. I am still working on editing the photos, after losing my laptop with trip reports, but seeing the photos from Safaridude makes me regret that I did not study my camera for a year before the safari trip. Your photos make me feel like I was there again! Regarding the Cheetahs in the Ndutu area - we were able to see 4 different Cheetah families, but I understand there are many more. One day, we witnessed a similar incident where the mother was teaching her cubs to hunt/kill a baby Thompson gazelle. Several vehicles were at the site - although it did not appear to me (first time safari) that they were affecting the hunt/kill. At one point, the gazelle broke free from the cheetah cubs and ran under a vehicle. The cubs ran after it and dragged it out. Eventually, they were successful in killing it. The mother remained in the background and hardly ate anything from the kill. It was fascinating to see this "Hunting Lesson."

• 1 month later...
ravipatel888

Amazing trip report! Especially enjoyed the star shot above Dunia and the haunting lionesses gaze from Mkomazi - the Serengeti lions seem tame by comparison!

• 2 weeks later...

Great to catch up with this thread. Excellent in every way.

@@Safaridude Thanks for a great trip-report and fantastic photos :)